Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oh crap, what did I just do? Ver. 499
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Those things are worse than the old garage doors! All i wanted was to tighten in by one notch. Think my testicles are now laying under the car somewhere. And I ended up one softer on one side cause I couldn't even get it back to the center position. Those that have seen me know I don't weigh a 150 lbs either. Is this just a two person job?
VaccaRabite
Get rid of the springs and put shocks in. the Camp kit makes is it dead simple. You will wonder why you did not do it ages ago.

Zach
underthetire
Oh hell, for 40 bucks that seems well worth it. It would be good to get rid of those possible missiles up there to.
ClayPerrine
Actually they are fairly easy to tighten. I did it about 3 weeks ago on Betty's 914.

1. Get a long pry bar. I emphasize the word LONG!

2. Get some good heavy towels to protect the fender.

3. Get one coat hanger.

4. Get some heavy work gloves.

5. Put the towels, tripled up, on the fender.

6.. Cut a 6 inch long piece of coat hanger wire. Twist the ends together in a loop. Make sure the twist is very strong.

7.Loop the coat hanger wire over the pry bar.

8. Put the hooked end of the pry bar against the top of the strut on that side.

9. Put on the gloves.

10. Hook the other end of the wire loop over the hook on the spring.

11. While holding the wire still on the pry bar with your gloved hand, push the end of the pry bar with your hip. It will slide on the towels and not gouge the paint.

12. Use the other hand to work the end of the spring into the next notch on bracket.

It is that easy. Only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to do, and only costs you a coat hanger.
underthetire
I'm gonna try that. I was looking for my ratchet tie downs to try something similar, but your way sounds less complicated.
jmill
Hood spring mayhem got me laughing. Them suckers are no joke. I use a cotter key tool bent in a U. I tried the normal L bend first and damn near lost my front teeth. I bent it in a U so the spring didn't slide off and it worked great. You still need to eat your Wheaties in the morning to yank it out.

Check it out, I'm a post whore. 1000 smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
I just grab a hold of the things with a gloved hand and pull them on, dont get all psyched out by it, just like a weight lifter mind over matter.....I have had no problems doing it this way it's easy.....
736conver
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 13 2010, 10:22 PM) *

I just grab a hold of the things with a gloved hand and pull them on, dont get all psyched out by it, just like a weight lifter mind over matter.....I have had no problems doing it this way it's easy.....

agree.gif

Couldnt be easier. No need for pry bars, screwdrivers etc.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(736conver @ Jun 13 2010, 10:29 PM) *

agree.gif

My way takes less physical effort on my part.
Gint
I've always just done it by hand. Takes 15-30 seconds.
EdwardBlume
Having a buddy there holding the hood up and steering the wire / spring helps too...
6freak
QUOTE(736conver @ Jun 13 2010, 08:29 PM) *

agree.gif

I agree .. smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 14 2010, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(736conver @ Jun 13 2010, 08:29 PM) *

agree.gif

I agree .. smile.gif

One more here! agree.gif
6freak
and safety glasses just incase ya let go ...
Cap'n Krusty
A pair of vise grips seems to help me get a good grip. I lock 'em in place and pull the spring over the next notch. Works like a champ!

The Cap'n
underthetire
I tried the vise grips, but I must be a wimp, cause i couldn't get them past the middle.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 14 2010, 09:32 AM) *

I tried the vise grips, but I must be a wimp, cause i couldn't get them past the middle.

The first time I did it (I was scared too) I used a piece of #10 copper house wire and made a loop out of it by twisting the ends together. Hook it onto the spring, place a hammer handle thru the other end, grab both ends of the hammer and pull it into place. Then cut the wire to remove it from the spring. Similar to
Clay's method but ya don't have to contact the car surface.
messix
good god!!! poke.gif

just hook your finger in the end and pull it to the next slot, thats what i did. confused24.gif

it's just i little coil spring slap.gif

and i have mine up on the third slot.
underthetire
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 14 2010, 08:39 AM) *

good god!!! poke.gif

just hook your finger in the end and pull it to the next slot, thats what i did. confused24.gif

Now thats funny !
messix
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 14 2010, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 14 2010, 08:39 AM) *

good god!!! poke.gif

Now thats funny !

i used channel locks.
6freak
G.I JOE kunfu grip does help smile.gif
naro914
I had my buddy that owns a body shop do it. Saved my physical well being, and if he screwed up, he could fix it.
He has some sort of trick for the rear spring rod things too, but I think those are going to be shocks soon...
underthetire
Thanks for everyone's help. I got it done tonight, made the coat hanger loop, then put a motorcycle tie down on it and just pulled by hand. Worked perfect. It was just my big gut not allowing me to get in there with enough leverage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.