Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Bushings vs. Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Wanted to get some opinions from those that have installed the current crop of suspension bushing offerings. Specifically, we have rubber or urethane type bushings, Delrin bushings (don't know who makes any, but some track guys may have them), and the needle roller bearings. I'm concerned mainly with street use, wide tires, and V8 power. Would the rubber/urethange type be adequate for good suspension control for the street, or how necessary is it to consider Delrin or needle bearing types?

Every upgrade I've ever done (on domestic's) to Delrin from the stock rubber type bushings, have yeilded a very harsh ride; unpleasant in fact. Last one, an occasional track use Corvette, was really lousey on the street in terms of comfort (I realize you have to give up something). So what about a 914? Would it not produce a similar result since there's little to dampen out the suspension shock driving on the street? Can any of you share some experiences, as I've read about several install's on this site? Also, I'm concerned with the possibility of the trailing arm mounting points cracking. What reasonable bushing alternatives might there be for larger rear tires (245 to 275 range) with V8 power?

Thanks,

Andy
Jeroen
Go for Mueller's needle bearings
They work with your suspension and not against it

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Roller all the way. It will ride smooth as GLASS as long as you have decent shocks.

As far as the rear ear issue. Make sure the drain is free of debris. It is located at the very base of the ear. I have several different avenues you can take to strengthen that ear in a 914. It is VERY easy to do with a V8 in place. We can brace them forward and backwards.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.