Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head lights, what are you guys using?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I'm thinking about replacing the sealed headlights with a more modern Hella version so I can see the roads at nite. What bulbs do you suggest to go with them? Is the stock 55/65w that comes with them ok? Don't want too hot so it melts the plastic trim ring.

Thanks,

Tod
underthetire
I can tell you not to buy the Ebay 25.00 set. They fit ok, but don't seem to put much light out, at least I can't get used to the "white" beams. And they seem to have a dark spot right where you would want them adjusted. I had Hella's on my last truck, with yellow fog bulbs, and loved those. Maybe not legal but we spend weeks in the fog around these parts.
Shade Tree
My Empi conversions are nice and bright but not DOT approved. I think they cost me $15 each with bulbs.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 14 2010, 12:02 PM) *

I'm thinking about replacing the sealed headlights with a more modern Hella version so I can see the roads at nite. What bulbs do you suggest to go with them? Is the stock 55/65w that comes with them ok? Don't want too hot so it melts the plastic trim ring.

Thanks,

Tod

Tod - with your red beauty if you do it, then do it right & pop for the proper DOT approved Hella H4 as used on the Euro 914s (that was before US DOT approved any Halogens back then), then get the high power relay & use the 80/100w ones. Sierra Madre Coll. had them, as may AA, PP/Automation, etc. I'll be doing them on mine.

I recently did the 80/100 + relay conversion on our 88 Westy & it makes a HUGE difference in actually seeing where you're going, without "driving out of/ahead of your lights" as they say. They don't run any hotter than the original 55/65w ones which it had.
tod914
Thanks guys. Tom where does the relay go? Do you have to splice wires?
jsayre914
i bought a HID kit from a porsche supplier, was 250 for the lenses and ballasts, they totally Kick Ass. Pictures in my blog if you wanna see.

Now i can see for miles, its kinda like driving a spaceship at night very_first_smiley[1].gif
tod914
Very nice set up Joseph.
BigDBass
Take a look at this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1271535
underthetire
Just FYI, some states only allow up to 55watts.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 14 2010, 01:26 PM) *

Thanks guys. Tom where does the relay go? Do you have to splice wires?

Yes spliced-in & IIRC the relay is up front wherever you want to hide it for your CdE events (behind headlight box under motor was where I planned to hide it). Instructions come with the relay kit & the H4 upgrade is in the factory service manual later service bulletins/updates (for after the US approved them).

You'll need the Hella H4 US conversion housings (maybe Bosch) & DOT approved bulbs (or ignore DOT on bulbs) at 55/65w & add the relay kits if going higher like 80/100w bulbs. So long as the housing is correct, you can probably get away with non-DOT 80/100w high output bulbs, so long as they're properly adjusted to not blind oncoming drivers - which is pretty easy to not do being so low on 914s (who is going to look inside the housing?). It may take some searching around to find the various parts, since some suppliers aren't carrying the whole 9 yards anymore. Also you can price shop around for the best cost overall on them with the usual group of suspects.

BTW - Tod - in your "it's done pix" - it looked like you may have had the radio antenna installed at a rearward rake - or it could've been the photo. OE was to go vertical straight up if not in that way, & you just rotate the angled base & chrome hollow "cone" to get it straight up-n-down.

Underthetire - he's in "Joy-sey" - if they're limited to 55/65 there, then he'll just bribe someone! lol-2.gif

Since most newer cars have so much brighter & higher power headlights, I think most/all states aren't worried about higher power back-dates, as they are with proper headlight beam adjustments.
anderssj
I'm running SEV Marchal lights with 55/66W bulbs--had Cibie e-codes before that, and Hellas before that.

Cibie and Marchal seem pretty similar--a wider low beam than the Hellas, but the Hella low beam seems to put a little more light down the center of the road. I always thought that the Hella high beams were a little high when I had the low beams where I wanted them.

I thought I had some pictures, but can't find them right now.

FWIW, Marchal was bought out by Cibie/Valeo in the mid-to-late 1980s. Marchal has gotten to be tough to find, but Cibie lights are still available . . . here's a good source for lights, parts, and general lighting info:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Hope this helps
tod914
Great info. I think I'll go for the Hellas with the H4 55/65 intially and see how that is. Has to be a big improvement from stock. Those Cibie are really really nice. Abit more than I want to spend though. Is it just the Euro designation where they have high beam/low beam 65/55 v the USA 55/65? Same bulb right?
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 14 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Great info. I think I'll go for the Hellas with the H4 55/65 intially and see how that is. Has to be a big improvement from stock. Those Cibie are really really nice. Abit more than I want to spend though. Is it just the Euro designation where they have high beam/low beam 65/55 v the USA 55/65? Same bulb right?

Yeah, they like to write their day/month dates Bass-ackwards too! dry.gif

BTW the 55/65 won't be much brighter than the OE sealed beam 55/65 other than the better light output of halogen bulbs (which was their attraction back then when high output ones weren't available yet). Fog/Driving lights help some close in, but try them on rural roads without street lights to see if you want the 80/100 power.

Given the pains you took to keep your resto accurate to original, the Bosch was a good choice.

Here's more info on lights in this collection by Jeff B. -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

PS - the Bosch H4 sets from BusDepot look like a good deal too & were also an OEM supplier for Euro 914 headlamps too, in addition to Hella IIRC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.