Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master cylinder failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
Well... the "odd brake issue" i had came back, this time with no brakes, master cylinder failed. Essentially on the day i had the 914 on the way home i had no brakes, as oddly as the issue came, it went away and i had them again. I went home and flushed the brakes, didn't see any issues but figured was a bubble in the system since the lines were just replaced. So i bled it again. Drove the car was fine...

This time they went out entirely. I thought i had the issue fixed. But the symptoms showed it to be the master cyl. Thankfully i was at a stop sign when it happened, well, rather, coming to a stop sign. I was able to still keep pressure by pumping the brakes like a crazy bastard to get it to stop on the way home.

Have the 19mm master cyl to replace.

Anyway... anything I should be aware of when doing these brakes? Any specific procedure? I planned on using my motive power bleeder, assuming that will work fine.
SLITS
Make sure you get the pushrod centered in the MC before bolting it up.

If you have the Euro Parts 19 mm MC, take the rubber grommets & washer out of the old ATE and use them in the new one so that the lines will fit correctly.

After replacing the MC & filling it, crack the lines that feed the brakes at the MC and let it drip for a bit to fill the MC.

You might have to crack the fitting at the Prop Valve to get all the air out of it also.

Go about your normal bleeding procedure after that.
corsepervita
Great info as usual. Thank you very kindly.
Tom_T
Also FYI in the future in the no brakes situation, that lever on the left of the driver's seat works a mechanical brake at the rear calipers regardless of loss of hydraulic pressure - of course in conjunction with downgearing for engine braking until slowed down (more this until slowed to +/- 20-30 mph & then add e-brake for final stop). shades.gif

That's why it's called an "Emergency Brake"! biggrin.gif
corsepervita
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 14 2010, 03:45 PM) *

Also FYI in the future in the no brakes situation, that lever on the left of the driver's seat works a mechanical brake at the rear calipers regardless of loss of hydraulic pressure - of course in conjunction with downgearing for engine braking until slowed down (more this until slowed to +/- 20-30 mph & then add e-brake for final stop). shades.gif

That's why it's called an "Emergency Brake"! biggrin.gif

Yeah i was able to use the e-brake. I used a mix of pumping the pedal for pressure as well as the ebrake, especially going uphill the e-brake was king. driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
It's actually a "parking brake", not an emergency brake. One must be VERY careful not to apply it too vigorously while the vehicle is in motion .................................

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.