Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More trouble adjusting TPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
I am using this:

http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/tb1718.gif

but am still confused.

When I turn completely CCW there is no resistance. As I turn a couple of clicks CW I get continuity. If I keep turning the resistance eventually goes to zero.

Am I totaly screwing this up?

BTW, I am using a new TPS board from David Sprinkle. Very nicely done. Thanks David!!
tradisrad
I had the same question and I dont recall getting a good answer. Perhaps the author was using an analog meter and "0" means continuity.
I turn it clock wise until I get continuity and then go one more hash mark.
I'm interested to see what ohter have to say...
BK911
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jun 14 2010, 03:17 PM) *

I had the same question and I dont recall getting a good answer. Perhaps the author was using an analog meter and "0" means continuity.
I turn it clock wise until I get continuity and then go one more hash mark.
I'm interested to see what ohter have to say...

Ok thanks. That is where I left mine too. I am also interested in hearing what the experts say. piratenanner.gif
r_towle
There is an idle circuit that only activates in a single position.
The TPS is designed for many cars and many throttle bodies.
There is ONE way to mount it...its really not adjustable once you mount it correctly.
The pic is as mounted with the throttle body closed.
You can pull the throttle body with the TPS attached and set it up on the bench...no meter needed.
Use the picture below.

Rich
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2010, 06:10 PM) *

There is ONE way to mount it...its really not adjustable once you mount it correctly.
You can pull the throttle body with the TPS attached and set it up on the bench...no meter needed.
Use the picture below.

Rich

Agree! Simple device that works well if you leave it alone!
Pat
tradisrad
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2010, 05:10 PM) *

Use the picture below.

Rich

so is the contact that the arrow points to touching the PCB trace that goes to pin 17 (idle) or is it in the void between the common trace and idle trace. I find it a bit hard to tell where the pad on the armature touches.
mipstien
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jun 14 2010, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2010, 05:10 PM) *

Use the picture below.

Rich

so is the contact that the arrow points to touching the PCB trace that goes to pin 17 (idle) or is it in the void between the common trace and idle trace. I find it a bit hard to tell where the pad on the armature touches.

wondering the same thing
windforfun
When I replaced mine, I put the new one in the same position as the old one. Bingo. It worked fine. I used the alignment notches along the curved mounting slots as my reference. Maybe I just got lucky.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(BK911 @ Jun 14 2010, 03:52 PM) *

I am using this:

http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/tb1718.gif

but am still confused.

When I turn completely CCW there is no resistance. As I turn a couple of clicks CW I get continuity. If I keep turning the resistance eventually goes to zero.

Am I totaly screwing this up?

BTW, I am using a new TPS board from David Sprinkle. Very nicely done. Thanks David!!

there are hash marks on the tps itself and those are enrichment signals for the ecu from the tps for acceleration think of it as a plus one series od signals 1+1+1+1ect.. to the full total of hash marks if you start in the middle your plus ones will never add up to the maxium enrichment available, in other words the top hash is not the 7th level enrichment or whatever but just another signal to the ecu to kick the enrichment up one more enrichment notch from the current level of enrichment, there are hash marks on the throttle body where the tps mounts, using one over the other is contradictive because CW on the throttle mouting hash marks make the armature inside the tps go CCW on the tps has marks, .. close the tps and use the left side hash marks on the throttle mounting for the tps and an ohm meter.. should end up being just before the series of hash marks on tps with your first 1ohm reading,

You can also look at another tps and see where the wear marks are, above in Towle's picture is wear marks just below wear the armature is.. that is where mine ends up set with the ohm meter and it runs and idles very well..
barndoor
Hi Guys
I have been reading this thread,then went and pulled my throttle body,removed the TPS cover and heres what it looks like.
What do you guys think ? Is it too worn ?
Out of adjustment ?
I have the "bucking" like everyone else w/ the TPS problem.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.