Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to look for...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
piratemike
Hello everyone,
I am in North Carolina and looking for my first 914. I know pretty much nothing about the 914 but, I have always liked the look. Anyway, when looking at a car for purchase, what things are the the 914 notorius for? What problem area to look for and what things should be avoided at all cost?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(piratemike @ Jun 14 2010, 09:46 PM) *

Hello everyone,
I am in North Carolina and looking for my first 914. I know pretty much nothing about the 914 but, I have always liked the look. Anyway, when looking at a car for purchase, what things are the the 914 notorius for? What problem area to look for and what things should be avoided at all cost?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

RUST
RUST
RUST
and then look for RUST!!!

welcome.png
steveherman
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 14 2010, 11:01 PM) *

RUST
RUST
RUST
and then look for RUST!!!

welcome.png

agree.gif

specifically under the battery tray and behind the rocker panels
and the floor pans

piratemike
Well, it seems like rust is an issue in hese cars as well. Are there any replacement body panels(floor pans,etc.) available for these cars? How much rust is "too much"?

Mike
poorsche914
QUOTE(piratemike @ Jun 14 2010, 11:40 PM) *

Well, it seems like rust is an issue in hese cars as well. Are there any replacement body panels(floor pans,etc.) available for these cars? How much rust is "too much"?

Mike

Restoration Design, AutoAtlanta and others have replacement panels.

Standard advice is to buy a car with the least amount of rust possible unless you are good at welder.gif

What part of NC are you from? Find someone nearby that knows the 914 and have them look at any potential buys.
welcome.png
dlee6204
What part of NC are you from? Find someone nearby that knows the 914 and have them look at any potential buys.

Yeah where you be at? There are quite a few of us around that could help!
welcome.png
Mike Bellis
Did we mention rust?

Buy the most rust free car you can find. engines are cheap compared to metal work. California, Arizona and New Mexico have some "rust free" cars still. We have over 10000 members and someone can go look at a car for you if you can't. There are some great people on this site!

welcome.png
steveherman
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 15 2010, 12:22 AM) *

Did we mention rust?

Buy the most rust free car you can find. engines are cheap compared to metal work. California, Arizona and New Mexico have some "rust free" cars still. We have over 10000 members and someone can go look at a car for you if you can't. There are some great people on this site!

welcome.png

I bought mine from Cali.
I am in Central Florida.
Best Decision Ever!
It was worth the extra money for shipping.
piratemike
Thanks for all the advice. If a car has some rust, what areas(if any) are absolute No-No's, don't even think about trying to fix this? Also, I am located in Hillsborough, NC, between Burlington and Durham. If anyone is kinda close by, I would love to meet and check out your car.

Thanks,

Mike
type47
There are many "rusteration" threads showing what you can encounter with a 914 and the repair. Search for threads by rick 914-8, scotty b, Jeff Hail (?) and many others I can't think of this morning (sorry), maybe others can post references to threads about their "favorite" rust repair. You might do well by buying a West Coast car and having it shipped East.
jaxdream
There are some resto / rusto ation threads in the restoration area read through almost all of them . They will give you an idea of the rust repairs needed on the 914s , some ideas of technques and such . Also give you an idea of the anatomy of the 914 and the body construction , from there you can decide onwhat to buy and what you can repair. There is almost no such thing as a rust free 914 , rarely but as the VWs bug , ghia , type 3 and so on they all didn't get long term rust prevention from the factory.
There are body panel replacements available from various sources AA, Restoration Design, etc . Look in the vendors area also for an idea of what is out there.....Good Luck
welcome.png

Jack / Jaxdream
piratemike
Thanks for all of the advice. I will definitely do a few searchs here and read as much as I can. Also, are there any good books out there that will provide info, pics, ideas, etc.?

Mike
EdwardBlume
Consider a budget too, unless you have a regular stream of discretionary dollars. Take your budget and either buy a car for high end cash with documented care, or spend half your reserve for a fixer and use the rest to make it safe and running properly. If the second option is more appropriate, you should have another car..

Good luck! these cars rock! aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
Oh and.... welcome.png
jcambo7
agree.gif With what everyone said! welcome.png
Root_Werks
Rust, look for it.

I would buy a clean non-rusted 75' 1.8 long before I'd ever touch a rust 73' 2.0.

Engines in these cars are not the big ticket item anymore. The chasis is. wink.gif
siverson
Rust (again).

And if you can't find one local, it's really easy to ship a car.
Cupomeat
One of the problems I am seeing/hearing about is that the cars LOOK good and even pass the cursory screwdriver test, but once you really get into the hell hole, it is rust-o-rama.

SO, if you can swing it, try to find a 914 with rust repair already done (with pictures) or at least a extensive history with the previous owners (from the south west).

These cars cost more initially, but cost less in the end.

I am not trying to scare you, but take your time and buy the RIGHT 914.

I hope that helps.
markb
Take your time & do your research. Have someone who knows these cars look at it. Buy from someone in the 914 community if you can. Post LOTS of pics of the car so we can help before you buy. You'll find a lot of very knowledgeable people on World/Club/ClubNARP/Pelican, willing to help you get what you want.
welcome.png

It's an addiction, & there is no cure. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
BTW- ALL of these cars have rust.. ALL of them... its just a matter of how much and where... cozy up with your local 914ers and learn about the problem areas... ideally have someone you trust do a PPI...
mudfoot76
welcome.png

I'm a little shocked nobody has linked to this yet:
914 Buyer's Guide
johannes
Rust can be well hidden ... Look at this thread ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

... educate yourself

... And welcome to the WORLD

BTW, I am a french guy living in France and I own a californian 914, because I hate rust ! ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.