Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boge shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sunfloweryellow914
All the sites on suspension seem to indicate that the softest springs and shocks you can get away with will give you the best grip, as long as you don't go below critical damping on the shocks. I have also been thinking about the way may car beats me to death on a normal road. So I came to the conclusion that I should go with !00# springs in the rear, and Boge shocks all around, and my back will thank me. I did notice that noone has posted anything positive on Boge shocks. Any comments?
Rusty
Boge shocks are stock OEM shocks. They give a comfortable ride, but are not a performance shock. It all depends what you're looking for in a ride.

Nothing at all wrong with Boges, in my opinion. Many of the folks here like to upgrade to Koni adjustables, Bilsteins or the really exotics to take advantage of the extraordinary handling characteristics of the 914.

Totally your choice, and if it makes your back happy - go for it! cool.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sunfloweryellow914 @ Apr 6 2004, 01:09 PM)
...I did notice that noone has posted anything positive on Boge shocks. Any comments?

they're okay OEM shocks; they have a more limited life.
i think you'd be fine with a HD Bilstein, which will be a little more, but you'll buy them once and they'll last forever in street service.

most people looking to replace Porsche dampers are looking for 'more.' Boge was the OEM damper so at least once upon a time, they knew how to do the valving. if you can get a good deal and don't mind replacing them as they wear out, they'd be fine.

i won't say anything bad about them, but i prefer more damping than they deliver. that's just personal preference tho.
aircooledboy
I replaced the Boges that were on my car with some Bilsteins that I got a for good deal on E bay. I would not have spent the extra money on Bilsteins at retail, but for the good deal on E bay. Mostly, because I'm a cheap bastard. But, if I knew then what I know now, I would spend the extra on the Bilsteins in a heart beat. I too wanted a better ride while hopefully maintaining or improving handling. The Bilsteins exceeded my expectations completely. My teener is a daily driver when the weather is nice, and I commonly cover 60-100 miles in a day. The ride is very comfortable with 100lb springs, but the handling improvement over the Boges is night and day.
sunfloweryellow914
Thanks so far. One of the threads said that bilsteins were too much and recommended yellow konis set at the softest. More comments would be appreciated.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sunfloweryellow914 @ Apr 6 2004, 02:04 PM)
Thanks so far.  One of the threads said that bilsteins were too much and recommended yellow konis set at the softest.  More comments would be appreciated.

Bilstein makes at least 4 different valvings of dampers for most cars, from 'HD' (OEM replacement level) through racing. when Bilstein sells you a Sport, Rallye/Sport, or Rallye (Race) damper, it's not just a street damper with a racing stripe, it's a RACE SHOCK.

lots of people -think- they want race dampers on their car and are disappointed (?) at the harsh ride. Bilstein will sell you whatever level of valving you want, but they'll deliver what you ask for. OEM would be fine for a street car, even an assertively driven street car. if you like the 'sporty feel' and AX occasionally on a mostly stock suspension with street tires, Sport is a good upgrade.

don't go stiffer than Sport unless you know what you are doing and have uprated spring rates to go along with it (or your car will be overdamped, unresponsive, and feel 'numb.')
aircooledboy
agree.gif I should have been more specific. It is a set of HDs which has given me the tremendous woody for Bilstiens.
DuckRyder
You might see if "Turbo Gas" or "Pro Gas" Boge are produced for the 914. I've been very pleased with them on BMWs and they are uprated from the standard hydralic OE type shock. ("Automatic" is stock replace ment for most cars)
sunfloweryellow914
That was very helpful. Thanks!
Looks like HD Bilstein is the best.
seanery
since no one else has done it, I will.

I prefer the ride Koni yellows give. I don't have Bils on my teener, but I put them on my Range Rover. They were a bit harsh, not KYB harsh, but a bit. With the Koni yellows just dial em down to full soft and they are very comfy!
rhodyguy
koni yellows and 100#. real sweet for a daily. i've been riding in a car with beefed up torsion bars and 180's, i need to have dave replace a few fillings. insert smilley with teeth falling out.

kevin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 7 2004, 05:00 AM)
I prefer the ride Koni yellows give.

it's a preference thing.

never have i said Konis are bad dampers -- i've run them in earlier 914's, and they're on my 356.

and there are probably people who actually think they prefer the KYB ride, and i'm glad there are options available...
tat2dphreak
I had KYBs(rear, dunno on front) on my white car,I had nothing to compare them to in a 914... they were fine, nothing wrong with them on the highway/street... not too uncomfortable... but again, not much experience to compare them to...
only riden in 1 914 other than that car...

hard to argue with the price of KYBs.. less than 1/2 the price of konis.. and a lot less than anything else... but when I need shocks all around, I'll probably go bilsteins... I've had them on a few cars, they lasted/worked well... or if I'm cheap, I am not against KYBs again...
Rusty
KYBs? barf.gif

I hate them.

You asked about Boges... so I answered about those shocks alone. But do I run them? No. I use adjustable (yellow) Konis set to full soft.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.