Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to fix the shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
I really want to fix the shift linkage once and for all (ha) and need help.

Box is tail shift and was rebuilt and many of the bushes have been replaced. I have solid mounts at box and sport mounts at front. Part of the reason I put the car away 11 years ago was the fact that the linkage required constant adjustment to get all ratios (4th/5th especially).

I am considering all options, including 915/G50 conversion if I have to.

All advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Phil

SLITS
Convert it to a side shifter.
naro914

Convert it to a side shifter.

+1
Add a Rennshift shifter also. My two 914's shift better, more precise and shorter throw than any pre-964 model 911.

You'd be better off just buying a side shift trans than converting the one you have. They're cheap.
pcar916
agree.gif
There are several options and all of them include a side shifter regardless of your choice... and there are many choices. What's your budget?

Your most cost-effective option is likely another 914 solution. You can probably buy a side shift 914 transmission and either use it's parts to convert yours, or use the new box without changing anything except your shifter linkage, which must be modified or replaced. Whichever box has the best internals is the best one to use. The 915 conversion is another kettle of fish.

If you already have an early mag-case 915 with a 7:31 ring and pinion (R&P) and a four-cylinder car, then you just have to:

- run it upside-down, do a some mods and install a cable shifter. Or

- flip the R&P and use new shift rod parts and a $2000 Wevo tail shift or again... a cable shifter conversion. The true 915 side shifter parts are few and far between...

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/916_racing_gearbox_2

very pricey when you can find them.

If it's a later 915 the flange-splines will be fine toothed and won't fit your 914 flanges, forces you to use a different axle setup. In addition the R&P is an 8:31 which will probably be a bit tall for your four-cylinder motor. Now if you have a big hp motor in your 914 then the bigger boxes may make sense.

A short bell-housing G-50 is nice as well but very heavy, expensive, and you'll still have a big ratio R&P to deal with. On top of that, figure in a cable shifter, new axles/CV's, a five lug conversion, and you'll for sure be running it upside-down since the R&P can't be flipped in that box.

In any of the above solutions calculate in $1800 to $2500 for a TBD or LSD diff.

Good Luck!
SLITS
To convert a tailshift to a sideshift, you need:

Tail cone from a side shifter (not needed but nice)**
Shift console for side shifter**
Shift rails for side shifter (they're shorter)**
Gasket kit**
'73 up engine bar
'73 up bar mounts
'73 up motor mounts (both the rubber and the steel ones that mount to the motor)
Side shifter shift lever
Side shifter front bar
Side shifter rear bar
Firewall conversion bushing

** can eliminate these if you buy a sideshifter tranny complete.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
phillstek
Thanks everyone..I'm was thinking the side shift conversion using my tranny. Problem for me is living in a country where there are virtually no 914's. You guys can find stuff so easy by comparison.

Phil

SLITS
It may be downhill to the "Land Down Under", but shipping the engine bar would be killer due to it's weight and length. Second would be the front & rear shift bar ... not heavy but lengthy.

The transmission internal parts, shifter, console, and engine mounts should fit in a USPS Large Flat Rate Box .... about $45 shipping.

If you want help, just ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.