Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennsport vintage werks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
realred914
a place to avoid for any car work is Rennsport Vintage Werks run by Jerry (Gerald) McCarthy (partial deaf mid fifty year old white male) In Pleasanton California' (note he also has connections in Conneticut and may end up there)

this guy has taken me for near $10K in lost money for work that was screwed up and damages to two cars. He got me from the club website, he is now playing the silent routine. Lucky my cars are out of there and safe now, but eh damage to them has been done. read on and enjoy. just make sure this guy does not approach you soliciting any "expert " Porsche work. He will claim ability in enigne rebuilding and body werk, but dont buy it, save your money and your car.

here is a short version of the year long saga of Jerry McCarthy's work:

i had my two cars in a shop in Pleasanton Calif a 356 and a 914. this is one shop to stay away from, I meet the shop owner on this webiste. he told me how he could expertly repair my cars, and showed some nice photos of his supposed past work.

he started on my 356 and did a nice looking job at fixing some door rust, but before he finished the doors, he for some reason decided to switch to the nose of the car (of course he was paid for the door work) he screwed up on the trunk big time, in a moment of probably marajuana haze. One night he cut the bottom of the battery tray (trunk floor, and sides) the value of reproduction part I had to purschase to repair was $1000 plus at least $1000 more for install labour)) he used a plasma cutter and butchered the trunk sides front and rear. opps, the next day I see the damage and he tells me he made a mistake and thought the trunk was too low. but he would fix it. after a month or so with him fucking around, I tell him he needs to buy a new trunk piece (they make repros !!!) he says he will only pay for half the cost as he still thinks he can re-use the buthered pieces so he will only pay for half ($500 is half)

At that point I say stop work on the trunk and await the new metal, the next day I find he butchered the trunk even further by drilling out (30 holes) a panel that we need to keep intact!

he then takes the doors he worked on the last year and finds that they dont fit the door opening in the body anymore. the fucking doors stick out half an inch from the body, even with no hinge shims. he talks about moving the hinges on the body then I see he actually made one door 3/4 inch fatter than the other side (he replaced rusty door bottoms) after another month of him promising to fix it, all he did was over heat the doors and warp them more. this bastard likes to weld with the metal red hot and keep welding, then he qunches the panel with water, heck with rust, he says he will deal with it later. I finally told him no more water quenching, it is ruining the steel, yet he persisted.

I show up to see what is going on, and arrive before noon as agreed, he shows up half hour late but needs to take lunch first, half hour later he tells me he needs to run an errand. (yeah really important stuff, rather than deal with a customer that has already pre-paid him, he runs out to recylce his plastic water bottles while I cool my heals at his shop) he comes back and after crying about his broken truck, he starts welding on my doors, only to excuse himself for a potty break, 10 minutes later he arises out of the bathroom stinking like weed. then says he cant work on my car any more. (Thank God for that,, the guy is dangerous)

Meanwhile I notice that my 914 has two new dents, looks like someone dropped something heavy on the front fender, all dented and cut, he tells me he will fix that, then a bit later I notice the rear fender is oil canned, but pulled out, I ask him about that and he tells me he or his freind ran into my car, and that he will for sure take care of that for me. (the dam cheat never would have mentioned the 914 damage to me If I had not caught it)

so be forwarned, do NOT patronize Rennsport Vintage Werks of Pleasanton Calif. [u]The shop is being run into the ground by Jerry McCarthy he claims his daddy is some famous porsche mechanic and he has a impressive looking photo album of cars he has worked on, however he is totally incapable. he is deaf, and uses a telephone translater. do not let him touch your car.

After he damaged the 914 he told me he has no insurance, he is a rip off, thousands wasted on this guy and my cars are Both in worse shape then when he got them.

he will cut before he thinks or measures, makes things crooked, and always has some excuse. he gets really rude when you ask questions or direct him to not warp the metal from getting it too hot and quenching in water. He is lair when it comes to money, tell you he will cover the damages , yet then claims he has no money or any other resources.

Just run away from this guy at all costs.
Mike Bellis
I have this urge to go down and see for myself. Not that I want to use him, just that it's so close to my house how can I resist. I hate guys like this. rip off artists riding on his daddy's coat tails. I wont use him but I may go over there and stroke him. shades.gif
realred914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 15 2010, 07:48 AM) *

I have this urge to go down and see for myself. Not that I want to use him, just that it's so close to my house how can I resist. I hate guys like this. rip off artists riding on his daddy's coat tails. I wont use him but I may go over there and stroke him. shades.gif

Let me know, maybe we can get a gang together and picket him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.