Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring help for conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfish914
OK I am trying to figure out the wiring for my 2.7 conversion and I see this. I talked with the PO and he hadn’t done any wiring changes, so he was not any help in why the additions to the harness. I should also point out that I am an idiot when it comes to auto wiring. The first photo I just need some one to confirm the wires for me.
Thanks for any help

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
You might want to contact Perry Kiel, a member here. He makes new harnesses for -6's. Judging from what I see here, you would benefit from a new one.
kfish914
Thanks for the feed back. I will contact him. I am out of work at this time so I am trying to spend my "car funds" wisely, and save money where I can.
windforfun
Are you good at soldering? Crimp connectors should be avoided especially for splices. For splices, go with a "Bell telephone" connection where one twists the wires togther length-wise. You then solder the connection & cover it with shrink tubing. Don't cut any strands either since this can cause additional resistance. Be patient with wire harness repairs & be sure to do it right.
Scott S
Perry built my 2.7 conversion harness - it may be the nicest part on my entire car. I show it off more than the motor that is sitting on the stand next to it...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 16 2010, 09:55 AM) *

Are you good at soldering? Crimp connectors should be avoided especially for splices. For splices, go with a "Bell telephone" connection where one twists the wires togther length-wise. You then solder the connection & cover it with shrink tubing. Don't cut any strands either since this can cause additional resistance. Be patient with wire harness repairs & be sure to do it right.

Sorry, but soldering connections for cars is currently WAY out of favor. Manufacturers specifically FORBID their service personnel from doing it. Crimps, properly done, are mandated. That goes for aircraft, too, only more.

The Cap'n
windforfun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 16 2010, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 16 2010, 09:55 AM) *

Sorry, but soldering connections for cars is currently WAY out of favor. Manufacturers specifically FORBID their service personnel from doing it. Crimps, properly done, are mandated. That goes for aircraft, too, only more.

The Cap'n

Ever notice how MBZ solders all of their crimp connections? Of course dealers don't recommend it, it's hard as hell to do right (especially when the harness is buried in the car) & therefore very expensive.
IronHillRestorations
I guess I'm out of favor. I crimp and solder all connections on my harnesses, and wouldn't do it any other way.
Root_Werks
Duct tape mine.
windforfun
BTW, if you must use crimp connectors, do not "tin" the wire with solder beforehand. The crimp will loosen with time. Only apply solder afterwards while you melt the connector's plastic sleeve & make a big ugly mess. But seriously, if you're going to solder a crimp connector, first remove the plastic sleeve & then apply the solder. Use shrink tubing to cover the shank of the connector & adjacent wire. Slip the shrink tubing over the wire before you crimp & solder the connector.
IronHillRestorations
Detail shot of the CD Box plug on one of my harnesses.
kfish914
Does any one know why he PO would have split the white wire into two?? (the two red ones) one with a female spade copnnector and the other with a nut connector?? If I could figure that out I might be able fix this harness.
Thanks for all your help now that i have the time to work on it, I really want to get it on th road again. Flush out the gas and brakes and of course put the motor in and i could be driving driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.