Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaymann
Can anyone answer a question on heat exchangers?I am trying to replace some old ones.The car is a 1975 1.8L 914,I bought some nice used ones.But they are different.They are smaller in lenth,and have 2 tubes, going to the muffler.The orgianals, are longer ,and only have 1 tube per exchanger, going to the muffler.The muffler is a burst 1.8L and has only 2 ports to connect the heat exchangers.Whats the deal???Thanks for the help Jason
poorsche914
The '75-'76 heat exchangers were different from the earlier years. The SS exhchangers are available for either 2.0 muffler or 1.7/1.8 muffler. The difference being the 2.0 pipes are straight at the end and the 1.7/1.8 have a bend up. Plus, the distance between mounting points, once installed, is different.

Look at your SS exchangers to see what kind they are - straight = 2.0 and bend = 1.7/1.8. You will then have to get the appropriate muffler to match.

driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The pipes you bought are for a '74. Your car came with a different type. Many folks choose to replace the late type with early units, but that requires a nimber of other parts to be changed, including the muffler and the muffler hanger, as well as misc. heater tin. I have some pretty nice late type HEs for sale.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.