Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Bleeding Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
OK...so I had to tear the left front strut out for replacement, and drained out the brake lines on that side. After I get the new strut in, I'm gonna take it to a local Porsche wrench for a front end alignment and to have him check out my work in securing the struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. I'm sure I did a "bang up" job, but figure I'll let an expert check out my work for any uck fups. When I bleed the line on the front left side because of my work, do I need to do all four corners (hey...haven't bled brakes in 30 years)?

I have "M" calipers off of a 911 up front. Any tricks or special "need to knows" about bleeding these things? Is it easier to buy out of the Mighty Vac thingamajigees?
john rogers
I would recommend a pressure bleeder instead of a vacuum bleeder as they are worth their weight in gold when doing brake bleeding. In the future, try covering the opening of the brake reserviour with some plastic baggy and screwing the cap back on and fluid will barely leak out if a line is opened.
Spoke
Another key to keeping fluid in the reservoir and MC is to keep the pedal depressed with a stick. This blocks out the fluid in the reservoir and keeps all the fluid from leaking out.

You might be able to get away without bleeding the entire system but it wouldn't be a bad idea to bleed all 4.

I usually use the pump-up pressure method.
kenshapiro2002
Damn...what a great idea!

Why pressure vs. vacuum? Either way, not something I'll be doing often. Any answer to my question about if I need to do all four corners?

QUOTE(john rogers @ Jun 15 2010, 09:32 PM) *

I would recommend a pressure bleeder instead of a vacuum bleeder as they are worth their weight in gold when doing brake bleeding. In the future, try covering the opening of the brake reserviour with some plastic baggy and screwing the cap back on and fluid will barely leak out if a line is opened.

kenshapiro2002
You mean another human being? I'll probably be doing this alone.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 15 2010, 10:17 PM) *

Another key to keeping fluid in the reservoir and MC is to keep the pedal depressed with a stick. This blocks out the fluid in the reservoir and keeps all the fluid from leaking out.

You might be able to get away without bleeding the entire system but it wouldn't be a bad idea to bleed all 4.

I usually use the pump-up pressure method.

VaccaRabite
Ken, get a pressure bleeder. they cost ~$50, and you can get them from the usual suspects, and sometimes even a FLAPS. Way better then the mighty-vac. Added bonus is that they keep the reservour filled, so you don't need to worry about introducing air into the system.

If the brakes have not been bled in a while, I'd do all 4 corners. If you are using a pressure bleeder you will likely take more time setting everyhting up then actually doing the work.

Zach
6freak
if ya got the car off the ground,why wouldnt you do all of them,I would stuff new pads in as well if over half worn,front and back and check venting clearance and check wheel bearing,and brake lines,and torque caliper bolts, but thats just me.I dont skimp on anything when it come to stopping..........so YES do it all...jmo
kenshapiro2002
Will any of them fit the 914's reservoir for sure? Also, when you're finished, don't you wind up with too much in the reservoir? Just suction some out with a turkey baster? confused24.gif

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 16 2010, 08:08 AM) *

Ken, get a pressure bleeder. they cost ~$50, and you can get them from the usual suspects, and sometimes even a FLAPS. Way better then the mighty-vac. Added bonus is that they keep the reservour filled, so you don't need to worry about introducing air into the system.

If the brakes have not been bled in a while, I'd do all 4 corners. If you are using a pressure bleeder you will likely take more time setting everyhting up then actually doing the work.

Zach

type47
agree.gif to bleed all 4 corners. Old brake fluid will absorb water and rust out the brake system from the inside. Factory (well, maybe VW Passat) maintenance says flush system every 2 yrs. I have a blog entry showing the Motive hooked up to my car.
Edit: ... or easier if I just paste the pic here
Click to view attachment
URY914
If the fluid is fresh, you can only bleed the one corner. Not a problem, do it all the time.

These guys seem to like making others guys do more than what is needed and more they would do themselves.

Watch me get flamed for this....
kenshapiro2002
Yeah, but it works when they do it to me...jewish guilt av-943.gif

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 16 2010, 09:51 AM) *

If the fluid is fresh, you can only bleed the one corner. Not a problem, do it all the time.

These guys seem to like making others guys do more than what is needed and more they would do themselves.

Watch me get flamed for this....

type47
my error
kenshapiro2002
Yeah...didn't say "the" brakes hadn't been bled in 30 years...said "I" hadn't bled any brakes in 30 years...outta practice. I thought Id read something somewhere here about these brakes being tricky in some way to bleed...guess not.

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 16 2010, 10:04 AM) *

my error

URY914
I was just in the barber shop and some guy was complaining about how is wife was charged $70 to bleed the brakes in her car. This guy says, "I've never bled my brakes, I just add more." He was talking kinda loud and I didn't want to get into it with him. Just let him rant.
kenshapiro2002
Of course...if he's leaking enough, it's always fresh! Kind like the British sports cars of the sixties. Never needed to change oil, just keep it topped up.

BTW...know why there are no British computers? Couldn't figure out how to get them to leak oil.

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 16 2010, 11:16 AM) *

I was just in the barber shop and some guy was complaining about how is wife was charged $70 to bleed the brakes in her car. This guy says, "I've never bled my brakes, I just add more." He was talking kinda loud and I didn't want to get into it with him. Just let him rant.

underthetire
I'm sure all those fancy bleeders are super nice, both times i've done my car I just used this
http://www.harborfreight.com/one-man-brake...-kit-37201.html

Worked like a champ. Flame on.
kenshapiro2002
Don't see any way for suction...how's it work with one man?
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 16 2010, 11:35 AM) *

I'm sure all those fancy bleeders are super nice, both times i've done my car I just used this
http://www.harborfreight.com/one-man-brake...-kit-37201.html

Worked like a champ. Flame on.

underthetire
Just hook it to the bleeder and pump the brakes slow. It's like the old guys using glass jars. The loooong hose method works well to, same concept, I just like knowing fresh fluid is going to all 4 corners.
6freak
Like they say in the classic`s ,there is no free lunch.In order to get the best results it must recieve constant maintanance ...that all im say`n ,nothing wrong with check`n to make sure its all up to par...need a flame thrower smiley poke.gif

if ya cant find the time and money to do it right the first time where ya gonna find the time and money to do it again...again JMO
corsepervita
QUOTE(john rogers @ Jun 15 2010, 06:32 PM) *

I would recommend a pressure bleeder instead of

+1 get a motive power bleeder pro kit with a euro adapter, adapter 0100. If you need a link i'd be happy to provide one as they are an affiliate with a car club I run wink.gif

I just did the brakes on my 914 yesterday as I had a master cylinder failure and used it, uses the SAME adapter that it takes on my 944, works like a charm. It maintains constant pressure and took me probably less than 30 minutes to bleed the whole system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.