Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about getting a Boxster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
I'm thinking of getting a 2000 - 2002 Boxster or S model to use as a daily driver and retire my '74 2.0 to weekend use. I don't have any personal Boxster experience nor do I know anyone who has any..... Just what I've read, mainly in Excellence magazine. I plan on test driving a couple of cars this weekend.

Anyone have any general advice? What to look, feel, or listen for? How much difference, (better?) in the S model over the 2.7?

thanks,
dg
Root_Werks
I've had 3 986's, couldn't keep any of them after digging into repairs. Like most newer cars with so many electrical controls, they de-value faster than that PC you bought last week. icon8.gif (Metaphor)

Very seriously, before taking the plunge into any newer Porsche, look and think closely about the value and what it'll be even 6 months from now. If you cannot pay cash, run, don't walk away from any deal.

Most 986's have severe engine failure issues that require mega bucks to sort out. Even then at times there is nothing you can do short of watching your engine grenade in a wild plume of oil filled smoke.

Google:

986 IMS failure
986 RMS failure
986 AOS failure

If that doesn't scare you off, there is no helping you anyway. laugh.gif
brp986s
First off, your 914 avatar looks great. I know gold was an oem color, but I've never seen one. With Fuchs even. Wow!

As for Boxster, I, and I think most consider them to be great cars. There are some lemons, but if you get a low mileage, well maintained one, you should be fine. Not so much $ will buy a lotta car. I've had to put a wheel bearing and O2 sensors on my 36k mile '01S. So yeah, not as reliable as a honda. I wouldn't (and don't) have the boxster as an only car. If you can wrench a 914, you can also on a boxster.

IMS kits are available.

As for the "there's no helping you" comment above - we're all beyond help. That's why we're here.
IronHillRestorations
I love my '00 Tip Boxster. The Tips btw don't have rear main seal problems. I'm at the point where I need to sell it, but I hate to, I mean really hate to. The Boxster is like the new 914 and the more I drive mine the more 914ish it seems, to me anyway. If you are interested PM me, mine's only got 37k miles. Mine's metallic green with beige interior.

I've had no problems, and so far maintenence has been pretty easy. Changing the fuel filter is a PITA, but it won't need a new one for a long time.

I get up to 30 mpg on trips if I drive it conservatively, great heat and a/c, still two trunks, and a smooth ride for a sports car. Just my .02!
Daiberl
My wife had a 1997 Boxster with Tip, we sold it with 117' Mls, no issues with the enginge. I have a 1999 996 C2 as daily driver, I have now more than 90' Mls on the car and no engine issues. I had to relace the tranny, they have a problem with the syncros and rebuilding was more expensive than buying a used tranny, but overall the best car I had so far and I plan to drive it a few more years. I do all the maintenance by myself, they are great to work on. I would also check on rennlist, they are usually very helpful and a fe of them have Boxsters with more than 100' Mls on it without any problems so far. We are also looking for a Boxser again for my wife, but this time probably a Boxster S.

- Juergen
Root_Werks
My post sounds negative, not meant to be.

I do like Boxsters, they are very cool little cars.

It's just a personal thing, I like them, buy one, dig into the technical part of one and always wind up thinking it's just too much for my taste.

The last one I had I picked up for $6k and it was a decent 986 with 100k on the clock. Ran perfect, looked great.

They are getting way cheap and certainly in line to be Porsche's next generation 944 (Value perception).

KBB has pretty much any 2.5 986 at $5k for one in decent shape. I'd say that's correct.
Silverstreak
Get an 05-08 350Z. It'll out perform a Boxster for less dough and is a little less femme. I hope that's not Porsche sacrilege, I'm a bit of a Z car apologist I'm afraid. I've never been a big fan of the Boxster, though the new Spyders are pretty sweet. That said, there's nothing like a proper mid engine sports car.
jim_hoyland
I recently bought a used low milage '98. While there are many issues discussed, there are a lot of good Boxsters out there. I found the good ones had the following in common:

1. Seller is original owner.
2. All maintenance was done and owner kept all the records.
3. Car was garaged
4. Low milage. Owner has several other cars and didn't use the Boxster as a DD

and lastly, don't get bogged down with engine size; they keep up with the traffic nicely and leave most 914s behind...
IronHillRestorations
From my experience with a customer's '99 and my '00 (both Tip), I could feel a definate difference in the power of the 2.7 over the 2.5, but the guy got the '99 cheap.
timofly
DG,

Get one from an original owner or a reputable dealer. It's a great fun car to drive, but any needed repairs are going to be expensive and difficult to do yourself. I have an 04 with 45K on it and I've had no issues. (Where's that wood...)

I also have a 74 914 2.0, like you do. It's really interesting to see what has happened to automobiles in 30 years. The Boxter is easier to drive, smoother, faster and far safer than the 914. Having spent untold hours in the barn with the 914 ("Why the f*#* is it doing THAT!?) it is my sentimental favorite, but the Box is probably what Porsche would build today if they still made something called a 914.

On DIY maintenance, good luck. You can't even SEE the engine unless its on a lift. Get one of those computer deals that let you analyze problems with a plug. But go back to the top: buy the best, lowest mileage one you can swing for cash.

Tim

Ferg
Just bought a 99 biggrin.gif

IMO just like the excellence article says, if you shop, do your homework, and roll the dice a bit they are a fantastic bargin.

I resisted my normal urge to find a garage queen and buy a higher mile extensively serviced one.

Mine has 83k but had the replacement porsche warrenty motor put in at 54k, just had newer adjustable lower a arms, Clutch, RMS and IMS and pads rotors and soft lines 2 months ago. New top 2 years ago, and a binder of records dating to new. 2nd owner bought a extended warrenty and used the heck out of it, I can't imagine the warrenty company liked him very much, he brought it in for every little thing and they paid.

Root, where are these 6k Boxsters? Only one's I've seen that low even wholesale have had rebuilt or branded titles, or 150k plus.

Jim, NICE CAR! Wish mine were white, over tan, I have polar silver over blue.

So far I'm very pleased with how it drives and handles.
Drums66
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 16 2010, 02:58 PM) *

I love my '00 Tip Boxster. The Tips btw don't have rear main seal problems. I'm at the point where I need to sell it, but I hate to, I mean really hate to. The Boxster is like the new 914 and the more I drive mine the more 914ish it seems, to me anyway. If you are interested PM me, mine's only got 37k miles. Mine's metallic green with beige interior.

I've had no problems, and so far maintenence has been pretty easy. Changing the fuel filter is a PITA, but it won't need a new one for a long time.

I get up to 30 mpg on trips if I drive it conservatively, great heat and a/c, still two trunks, and a smooth ride for a sports car. Just my .02!

Get 1 thumb3d.gif (dig all the positives above)
P.S. boxster is future 914!
patssle
Why does a ~$50,000 car have so many maintenance/reliability issues?
Eric_Shea
Get one with a hard top (welded on). biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
It was asked were all the $5k 986's were, well summer is in full swing in the PNW so prices have jumped $1-2k but:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/1837902187.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/1832680389.html

I haven't looked in a while for 986's and the summer is the worst time of year to buy one of course. Wait until the rainy season starts up again around here and you'll find 2.5 986's for under $7k at dealers and private parties for $5-7k.

Been that way for the last couple of years in this area.

Same thing that happened to 944's. I'm already seeing 986's that look like they should be on a car lot in the junk yard with "blown" engines. Not worth fixing. Just like 944's. wink.gif
OU8AVW
I bought a 98 from my brother two years ago for $6500. I did the 60k service, ($1500!) and drove it around for a while. I sold it for $13k and never looked back.

The best thing about it was how hot my wife looked driving it biggrin.gif

I agree with the idea of getting one that has has been driven and serviced over one with really low miles. The problems seem to crop up closer to 40-60k miles, so one with miles on it that has been repaired can be cheaper to buy and keep on the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.