Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yay or Nay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick73-914
Evening all (well... most haha)

I've been considering ordering a copy of "How to Restore & Modify Your Porsche 914 & 914/6 : Patrick C. Paternie (Paperback, 1999)" and was wondering your opinions on the purchase.. Any of you own it? Is it helpful? And most importantly is it worth $110?! confused24.gif
I already own "Porsche 914 Automotive Repair Manual by J.H. Haynes, John Harold Haynes (1989, Paperback)" it's a really helpful book for sure.

Thanks guys!

NL
dangrouche
get it at half.com. its a good book if you want to restore and know what an OEM car should have
BigDBass
It's decent, but I'm a book whore.

However... $115! Probably not worth that. Can get it on ebay from the UK for ~$35 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-914-914-6-Buy-...=item3a5b78cd1b

nick73-914
Thanks! That link wasn't the same book though.. do you own both?
BigDBass
QUOTE(nick73-914 @ Jun 16 2010, 11:28 PM) *

Thanks! That link wasn't the same book though.. do you own both?

Ooops! blush.gif Sorry about that. beer.gif

Yeah, get that one too.

And the one by B.Johnson.

Get 'em all.

One book (actually 3-volume set) that I haven't found the right deal on yet is Excellence Was Expected.

But like I said, I am a bibliophile. Other than a few college and grad school textbooks, I still have nearly every book I've ever owned since I learned to read.

smile.gif

BigDBass
Here's a list of 914 books I put together on the Roadglue 914 Wiki: http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_books. It's probably my only contribution to the community and one I don't think anybody uses. smile.gif

nick73-914
Thanks BigDBass! I totally bookmarked it and will start collecting, I too tend to hoard all the books I come across.. haha
Tom_T
There are several good 914 books out there - each with a different focus, depending on what you're looking for as a reference (mechanical how to, authentic resto, interesting info, etc.). You'll also find some conflicts, incomplete info., & B. Johnson's is all B&W, but helpful nonetheless.

There are several to add to your collection & I've put cover pix below. It's best to Google or use one of the book price search sites to see who has the best price, & I combine the Borders online coupons to get even more off (33-40%).

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

You can also get these & more on CD from AutoAtlanta for $35-40 IIRC -
Click to view attachment

Also go to the Porsche website, Classics section & there's a place to download a free pdf of the pET 914 parts manual, & do the same for AutoAtlanta, Performance Products/Automotion, Pelican, etc. for their manuals online downloads.

Then down load any of the ones at these websites you find interesting -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

Happy Reading! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
How good is your German? idea.gif

nick73-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 17 2010, 12:56 AM) *

Thanks all!

Ich kann Deutsches nicht sprechen... and that was totally off the translator on my MacBook.. rolleyes.gif
davep
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 16 2010, 09:56 PM) *

Not good, but I was working on a translation. I gave Jeroen photocopies of the first 70 pages, but don't know if he even got them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 17 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Not good, but I was working on a translation. I gave Jeroen photocopies of the first 70 pages, but don't know if he even got them.

Yeah, i started on a translation a few years back.
I have all pages scanned in high resolution and about 10 or so translated.

I started the layout in Adobe InDesign but i haven't worked on it in over two years.

Just don't have the time to do it right now ...
dry.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 17 2010, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Jun 17 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Yeah, i started on a translation a few years back.
I have all pages scanned in high resolution and about 10 or so translated.

I started the layout in Adobe InDesign but i haven't worked on it in over two years.

Just don't have the time to do it right now ...
dry.gif Andy

Andy, I want one when you're done. smile.gif
Michael N
One more book if you have to have them all.

Click to view attachment

In the book Bob Garretson describes driving the 914:
Driving a 914 feels different than driving any other car. The cockpit is confined, the seating is low and with the engine at your back the driver feels like an integral part of the car. Unfortunately this pleasure will only be experienced by a limited number of people.
Spoke
QUOTE(nick73-914 @ Jun 17 2010, 12:11 AM) *

Evening all (well... most haha)

I've been considering ordering a copy of "How to Restore & Modify Your Porsche 914 & 914/6 : Patrick C. Paternie (Paperback, 1999)"

I have the book and have never used/read/looked at it. It's yours for $25 plus shipping if you want it. It is in very good condition. It came with the 2nd 914 I purchased.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jun 18 2010, 08:24 AM) *

One more book if you have to have them all.

Click to view attachment

In the book Bob Garretson describes driving the 914:
Driving a 914 feels different than driving any other car. The cockpit is confined, the seating is low and with the engine at your back the driver feels like an integral part of the car. Unfortunately this pleasure will only be experienced by a limited number of people.

I have that one as well. Not many around I think. I found it at the literature and toy show at the LAX Hilton.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.