Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boge strut insert questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten
Hi--putting new Boge strut inserts in the front. The old ones didn't have any oil in the strut housing--should I put ATF in before I sink the new inserts in?

Also, I tried to extend the insert and put back up through the bushing and I can't seem to get it up there (the thing wants to contract)! Have tried a floor-jack, etc. I have the thought to get a long metric bolt that looks like it would screw into the top of the strut (the center is threaded) to help pull it through. Has anyone else had this problem?

Oh, I guess I should mention that I didn't remove the strut housing to do all of this...
underthetire
I've used and old clutch cable, or was it a throttle cable, can't remember witch one, anyways, it will thread in to the hole in the strut and gives you something to pull on.
jaxdream
Do you have holes in the bottom of your strut housings ??? If so , any fluid you put in will leak out eventually . I had two sets of 73 original sturts ( housings ) and both sets had holes drilled through from the ball joint stud to the inside of the strut housing . Shine a flashlight down in there to determine if so , might save you some trouble.

My $.02...

Jack / Jaxdream
kpfoten

Thanks for the info!
jcd914
If it is just going to be a street car or daily driver (probably even an auto-x) I would not worry about adding oil to the strut housing.
The oil added to the strut housing helps the insert dissipate heat generated by the shock in motion.
For a typical street car the shocks won't likely work hard enough long enough for heat to be an issue.
For a track car the shocks may generate enough heat that the oil will help out.

Of course if you have holes in the strut you don't have to worry about which choice you make.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.