Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear deck luggage rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solo1
The guy that owned my car (72 914 1.7) or perhaps the previous owner put a rear deck luggage rack on it. Looks like he used metal/sheetmetal screws to attach it. So of course holes have been driven into the deck lid. Should I pull the metal screws and replace with nuts and bolts or dont screw with it for now. Like the look but its clearly not original. Not a huge deal just a detail and before i pull them want your thoughts.
VaccaRabite
Personally, I think the racks look cool on 914s. But they can block cooling air from getting to your engine, so a lot of folks pull them off since they really should not be used.

If you intend to use the rack, I'd go with bolts (and find some thick skin here for admitting it laugh.gif) If it is just going to be decoration, leave it as is. if you don't like the way it looks, pull it and fill the holes after clearing out the rust that is bound to be in there.

Zach
solo1
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 17 2010, 12:38 PM) *

Personally, I think the racks look cool on 914s. But they can block cooling air from getting to your engine, so a lot of folks pull them off since they really should not be used.

If you intend to use the rack, I'd go with bolts (and find some thick skin here for admitting it laugh.gif) If it is just going to be decoration, leave it as is. if you don't like the way it looks, pull it and fill the holes after clearing out the rust that is bound to be in there.

Zach

thanks Zach. Im gonna leave it for now to many other projects to deal with then messing with body work. good advice.
jt914-6
I had one on my first 914. It came in handy on trips. I would mount the spare tire on it and put a huge ice chest of beer in the front trunk. I didn't care if the spare got rained on.... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.