Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: opinion on this MS system for 3.0L?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wobbletop
Hi all,
I've got a couple PM replies on this system but they differ.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-injection.html

Would this even fit in a 914? Although it's an older MS system using fuel only (no spark) would it offer benefits over a carb on a 3.0L?

Good price?

If you had a 3.0L 914, would you consider it? I apologize if it sounds like I'm trying to be hand fed, but I'm new to porsche's.

Thanks for your help,
Walter
Root_Werks
It doesn't look any taller than the CIS system, and if that's correct, folks have gotten stock CIS systems to fit under a 914 engine lid before.

Don't see why not? confused24.gif
Mark Henry
It will fit with that K&N. You can get a stock system to fit if you drop the front of the engine a bit. Hard to say if you will have improvement over the weber's, you should in driveability, but everything depends on overall condition.

One question... is the TB runners big port (78-79) or small port?
Your engine is stock CIS, but I forget what year, US or euro spec pistons, etc.
Jeffs9146
I am working on a method of fitting the stock system into my 6 and it is shaping up to look very similar except I am using the stock FI system!
wobbletop
Mark, mine is a 78. I don't have details on the internals.

Jeff, is it possible to rotate the plastic manifold 180* so the intake is towards the fan? This would give more room for the intake plumbing but I don't know if it's symmetrical enough.

Edit: Mark, the runners are small port. Not sure it would matter on my '78.
Jeffs9146
Interesting question......I will have to take a look at it later!

EDIT: I just remembered that I was originaly going to try to just flip the whole thing but the fan shroud is in the way so NO, thats why I started down this path!
Mark Henry
'78 will be a big port at 36mm and the runners would be 32mm. I'd at least do some rough match porting.
Your pistons are 8:1 CIS if it's stock.

I had a DIY on a 914 3.0 CIS install, but I lost the link
wobbletop
According to Dempsey, the 78 SC input ports are 39mm. I'm starting to shy away from this solution.
Mark Henry
Get a wideband A/F meter, as you need it for MS anyways, and try to tune your carbs proper.
I could do it for you, but it takes time, sometimes vents and jets (I use reamers) and many test runs to sort things out.
What's your ignition system?

FI would have an increase of fuel mileage and hopefully drive-ability, but I doubt any big power gains.
pete-stevers
fitting my cis 3.0 was tight,
i dropped the engine mounts one inch with spacers and longer bolts( at Eric Shea's suggestion)
requiring a modified shift bar
i think that ms sys will fit better than a stock cis, (just from eyeballing it)
it was the gas distributor that got in the way of the rear wall
my goal was to leave the tin intact
Jeffs9146
gas distributor that got in the way of the rear wall

I am replacing the Air Box with a smaller one from a VW Passatt! The FI bolts right on it!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.