Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chassis Wiring Harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Reno914
Ok, so our cars are getting older, and as such parts are wearing out, including the harnesses. I am looking to see if anyone knows of anyone building new full chassis harnesses for our cars.

Thanks,
Reno
rwilner
QUOTE(Reno914 @ Jun 17 2010, 02:45 PM) *

Ok, so our cars are getting older, and as such parts are wearing out, including the harnesses. I am looking to see if anyone knows of anyone building new full chassis harnesses for our cars.

Thanks,
Reno

Jeff Bowlsby builds several harnesses for our cars, including the FI harness, alternator, and some others. I'm not sure about a full chassis wiring harness but this will at least get the engine bay sorted.

Look for him in the member vendors area.
JeffBowlsby
Is that you Alby? Either way, welcome to the 914world!

New 914 chassis harnesses are not available. If they were, they would be very expensive because they are quite complex - lots of different wire gauges, colored/striped wires, terminals, special connectors etc. The chassis harness is well protected from heat and contaminants unlike the engine bay harnesses, so unless they have been hacked into they should be in reasonable or at least restorable condition.

Most 914 owners just clean and repair their harness, or they pay someone (me!) to restore it. It is labor intensive and can be expensive. If the harness is bad enough, then donor harnesses can be had without too much cost for at least a good starting point. If you get a donor harness, be sure to get one from the same model year as your car, there are differences between the model years.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 17 2010, 01:06 PM) *
Most 914 owners just clean and repair their harness, or they pay someone (me!) to restore it. It is labor intensive and can be expensive. If the harness is bad enough, then donor harnesses can be had without too much cost for at least a good starting point. If you get a donor harness, be sure to get one from the same model year as your car, there are differences between the model years.

agree.gif

I've done this a few times. There's a thread in the classics about removing/installing a main chassis harness ...

shades.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
McMark
I haven't heard of many harness issues that weren't related to burnt wires or DAPOs (dumb ass previous owners).

welcome.png
Reno914
Thanks for the updates, and information. I discovered a short after a drive, and started looking at the wiring, the harness in my car has been hacked up in a few areas, which was the reason for the post. Also the rear trunk has locked itself closed atm, so I need to get that straightened out before I can find the short, and or pull the harness out.

Oh, and sorry Jeff, but this is not Alby, just a 914 owner who lives in Reno, Nv.

Thanks for all the good help, and I will see what I need to fix, etc. once I get the trunk open.

Reno
JmuRiz
My passenger-side front has been hacked due to a previous owner bashing in that side. headlight and turn signals are all kinds of funky/dim. Haven't been able to get it squared away, but I'm not electrical person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.