Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st gear synchro hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I'm thinking about tackling a first gear rebuild.

This first gear synchro hub costs ~$190.
This first gear synchro hub costs ~$110.

Is the more expensive one worth the extra $$? I have no issues buying the more expensive gear, but I do have issues wasting money needlessly.

Anyone have experience with one or the other?

Doctor? Captain?

thx
Rich
Joe Ricard
I can't see the difference.

Maybe the good doctor will chime in.

Heck I took a regular 2, 3, 4, 5 hub and cut it for 1st gear. it worked perfectly. Dremel is your friend.
pcar916
Hmmm. Rauch & Spiegel (rated Excellent) at $110 vs Getrag (rated the best) at $190. (ratings by Pelican)

They're both Porsche OEM manufacturers so materials and heat treatment should be nearly identical, and I've never had a part that pelican hasn't stood behind. Of course, by the time it goes bad you won't be able to replace it in any case. Getrag is always good and always expensive.

I'd put the least expensive in my own box if I didn't have some good used ones laying about. I shift carefully.

Good luck
Cap'n Krusty
I don't think either of these companies supplied the hubs to Porsche while the 901 series transmissions were in production. Unless there are bad experiences with either one, it would seem prudent to choose the cheaper. ASK the sales person what the return rates are for both.

The Cap'n
rwilner
I talked to Glen at the bird, he said he's heard nothing bad about the cheaper one, and as they say, no news is good news.

saving $80 ftw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.