Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't say enough............and I got to watch!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
popcorn[1].gif

cheer.gif

driving.gif

pray.gif

I know I can't mention service companies, but there is a resident genius working on Lincoln in Orange.

Skip (Not the name of the place) got my car running better than anyone ever did, and he did a lash job like none I ever saw before.

I watched. I marveled! pray.gif

He also got the flaps/bellows done in about 10 minutes, and the way he timed the 2.0 it was sheer inspiration. He has a lifetime of knowledge, and I have a secret about MPS's that he taught me, and I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES!

I know I can't mention names, but those of you in the area that want the gory details, just pm me. The MPS thing is STARTLING! Not one person in all my years around teeners ever showed or told me this absolutely true phenomena.

w00t.gif

This was worth every penny I spent, and I got to watch!

Thank you to the people that recommended this place!

Best always,

John
avidfanjpl

Tom_T
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jun 17 2010, 06:54 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

cheer.gif

driving.gif

pray.gif

I know I can't mention service companies, but there is a resident genius working on Lincoln in Orange.

Skip (Not the name of the place) got my car running better than anyone ever did, and he did a lash job like none I ever saw before.

I watched. I marveled! pray.gif

He also got the flaps/bellows done in about 10 minutes, and the way he timed the 2.0 it was sheer inspiration. He has a lifetime of knowledge, and I have a secret about MPS's that he taught me, and I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES!

I know I can't mention names, but those of you in the area that want the gory details, just pm me. The MPS thing is STARTLING! Not one person in all my years around teeners ever showed or told me this absolutely true phenomena.

w00t.gif

This was worth every penny I spent, and I got to watch!

Thank you to the people that recommended this place!

Best always,

John
avidfanjpl

Heck John, you can mention the place - as others list them for other owners' reference, plus they posted Skip's address on your request for shops post. So go ahead & give the guy a good recco with full contact info here, for the next Teener looking for a good OC shop.

Glad you got her sorted out & ready for Cooper Boggs - oops! I mentioned his name! huh.gif .... just kidding! biggrin.gif

Hey, call me if we're on for lunch or something tomorrow. shades.gif
... if not, then some other time!

Or ....... do Porsches & Doughnuts at Krispy Kreme at The Block in Orange Sat morning 8:30 - ??, but you have to bring the 914! biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Why can't you mention names?

Folks get bashed on this site all the time. If someone does right by you, please go ahead and mention them!

Zach
avidfanjpl
Thanks, Guys!

I went to Steve's Independent Porsche Repair on West Lincoln in Orange, and they got it all right! They did so much in 2 hours that I had to watch closely! I am talking valve lash, timing, bellows wire, AAC (shorted out) and ECU. They were laughing at my astonishment.

Steve, the owner, is not well, and has a serious ailment, but his two guys, Steve and Skip are the guys to see! Steve books and Skip does a lot of the work. Steve, the owner, is close to Skip, and they have 4 or 5 teeners that can be sold off, running, chassis, parts, and everything in between.

I told them I would help them inventory what they have over the coming months, write descriptions, and I would, because you all have been so good to me, post them here from time to time just to give a brief description and you can call them directly.

This place has a lot to offer teeners. I am not making a penny off of anything, but they have so much that some of us here will find what we need. Steve, the owner, has all kinds of things teener that he has accumulated over the years.

Sure, they have 930's, 996's and all kinds of 911's in there for all kinds of services, but they both know 914's, and Skip is wildly brilliant on the 2.0L DJet or LJet! He has 2 - 2.0L's running, and a 3rd engine I saw ready to reinstall. Their work is fabulous!

Skip showed me so many tricks on my DJect, that I have to go over them a couple of times, but the biggest hint is KEEP your ignition wires AWAY from the MPS. FOREVER! It smoothed out my takeoff from idle like it was a new car. the EMF is the culprit. Route that Cyl 3 wire under the throttle body pipes - NO JOKE!

And there are other things too, but he has more that he has forgotten that anyone I ever heard about in person. He actually knew when the engine was at 3500 rpm from the sound, and I watched 2 tachs, and every time he got to 3500 rpm, he knew it. I was hysterical!

So, Steve's in Orange. A place where I gladly parted with my money over my teener.

Best regards,

John
avidfanjpl
jonferns
Good to hear that there are still shops out there that don't mind interacting with the customer, and showing them the steps involved in work thats gets done to their cars. smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy

I know I can't mention service companies

WTF.gif

Care to elaborate on that statement? I'd sure like to know why you can't ...
confused24.gif Andy
avidfanjpl
Hello Andy!

I was pretty sure I was not supposed to sing praises for commercial services.

I thought I read that somewhere.

But, I was wrong!

And I get to tell of a good teener experience!

Steve's Independent Porsche Service, Orange, CA - A Hit Tonight at The Lewis Home!

Thanks!

John
ericread
Steve and his eam are good folks. I used them right after I bought my 914. But they were a bit pricey.

The bill I got from them convinced me that I needed to learn how to work on my 914 myself.

Then again, I am a bit of a CSOB...

Eric

corsepervita
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Jun 17 2010, 08:28 PM) *

Good to hear that there are still shops out there that don't mind interacting with the customer, and showing them the steps involved in work thats gets done to their cars. smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif

Totally agree with that. I love it when a good shop does that. A local shop here, German Master Tech in Bend, Oregon is that way. They rode along with me, listened to the car, showed me tips and tricks, info, little things here and there I wouldn't have picked out without someone with skilled knowledge and happily showed me things about my car.

They even made a brake line for me on the spot (i had one get mangled... we won't go there... since it was user error) and charged me hardly anything for it. It is great to hear of shops happy to help the customer, and not JUST their wallet.

The only other shop that has ever done that for me was Bend Euro Moto, however, they are now gone, and out of business as of June 1st. But the owner, David, was one of the best Ducati mechanics I have ever met in person, spoke to, and picked brains with. He was not only knowledgeable, but helpful and showed me how to do things myself. I think the best part is that he would show me techniques to do things without using certain tools that were 'factory tools' to do the same job for an easier way. When i would do that, then report my findings to other people who do "DIY maintenance" they would tell me i'm crazy for not doing it "the factory way" and didn't believe me when I said a Ducati tech and shop owner is the one that showed me the technique. lol-2.gif
blitZ

KEEP your ignition wires AWAY from the MPS. FOREVER!

Holy Hell, that works. I've been trying to solve a low rpm stumble for a month or so. Read this at work and rerouted my plug wires away from the MPS and problem solved.

Thanks
BigDBass
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jun 17 2010, 09:25 PM) *
Skip showed me so many tricks on my DJect, that I have to go over them a couple of times, but the biggest hint is KEEP your ignition wires AWAY from the MPS. FOREVER! It smoothed out my takeoff from idle like it was a new car. the EMF is the culprit. Route that Cyl 3 wire under the throttle body pipes - NO JOKE!

Hey, the best way to reinforce your learning of all those tricks is to share them with us!
avidfanjpl
Isn't that just boobies and beer?

It was like wrapping tinfoil around my head! I would have never believed it worked, but it did for that Mel Gibson movie, and wire distance from the MPS is key!

J

QUOTE(blitZ @ Jun 18 2010, 01:03 PM) *

KEEP your ignition wires AWAY from the MPS. FOREVER!

Holy Hell, that works. I've been trying to solve a low rpm stumble for a month or so. Read this at work and rerouted my plug wires away from the MPS and problem solved.

Thanks

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 18 2010, 10:07 AM) *

Steve and his eam are good folks. I used them right after I bought my 914. But they were a bit pricey.

The bill I got from them convinced me that I needed to learn how to work on my 914 myself.

Then again, I am a bit of a CSOB...

Eric

agree.gif They are pricey as high end Porsche shops, and that is what I stated when I recomended them. I do not use them but have been there a few times. Myself I hate paying Porsche Shop Labor Prices to Install 70's VW parts unless there is special circumstances..
turboman808
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 17 2010, 08:43 PM) *

I know I can't mention service companies

WTF.gif

Care to elaborate on that statement? I'd sure like to know why you can't ...
confused24.gif Andy

Alot of forums are like that. If they are not a supporting vendor you can get booted for sharing links or giving praise. Those forums don't stay around long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.