Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backpad repair?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
The bottom corner of my backpad is separating. Is this something I can fix? If so, how?

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 17 2010, 09:06 PM) *

The bottom corner of my backpad is separating. Is this something I can fix? If so, how?

Don,

You might be able to tuck it back up under the bottom of the backpad with something like a plastic burnisher or the like with rounded edges/corners as a temp fix. Be careful not to pull too much on the backpad because the old formed fiberboard can crack easily.

However, you'll eventually need to pull out the backpad & re-glue it with something like 3M 90 spray adhesive on that & any other edges that the 34-40 year old adhesive has let go. If you find any of the fiberboard cracked on the inside/backside when you do that, you can use other new fiberboard bits, file to shape & thickness, then use epoxy to attach &/or reinforce the backer. I just did it for my 85 BMW driver seat backer shell last weekend.
underthetire
Glue it back confused24.gif

Remove the backpad and get some 3M super 90 spray adhesive. Follow the instructions on the can. Have goof off ready to clean off the over spray. Looks like a pretty easy fix.

Super 77 works good to, but super 90 is crazy sticky.
BigDBass
I tried to tuck it back a few times but it comes back out.

Cool. 3M 90 it is!

Thanks!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 17 2010, 11:57 PM) *

I tried to tuck it back a few times but it comes back out.

Cool. 3M 90 it is!

Thanks!

Maybe use a piece of fabric as a backer when gluing the corner back in.
BigDBass
Of course, if I pull the backpad to fix this, I might discover something ugly underneath, and maybe sneak in sound deadening material, and then there's the seatbelt retraction, and and and. Paging Dirk! Slap me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.