Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are these mystery things
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
In my maintenance travels, I ran across these things and have no idea what they are.

The first is some type of electrical cube (a relay of some type?) mounted on my fresh air box shroud in the front trunk:

Click to view attachment

The second is some type of switch mounted under the steering column:

Click to view attachment

When it was new, the original owner did have an aftermarket alarm system installed at one point.

Any ideas? confused24.gif
tdgray
Hard to tell from the pic but the first one could be some sort of after market windshield washer pump... maybe the button was the squirter switch????

biosurfer1
agree.gif mine has some big ugly orange rocker switch from the PO...one of these days I'll take it out!
rmital
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 18 2010, 09:08 AM) *

Hard to tell from the pic but the first one could be some sort of after market windshield washer pump... maybe the button was the squirter switch????

agree.gif
btw...Andy wants his camera back... shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Yes to the washer pump. Mine came with a pump mounted under the tank, and a foot operated switch mounted on the pedal board. Still works great.
jt914-6
Follow the wire from the pump and see where it goes. My guess is to the switch under the steering column.....

BTW...does anyone know when the wiper switch went from the dash -'70- ? to the steering column?

I have a dash mounted intermittant wiper switch that I sell. It has a delay from about 2 to 16 seconds, low, and high speed. Push the knob in and you get 12 volts for the washer pump......Have one in my '74 conversion and it works great.....
Spoke
If you haven't tried pressing the button, do it while not sitting in the car in case it's the infamous ejection seat button.

Or it could be the James Bond oil smoke screen button. Mine has one but I haven't found it yet and I think the button is stuck on...
Sleepin
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 18 2010, 09:06 AM) *

Or it could be the James Bond oil smoke screen button. Mine has one but I haven't found it yet and I think the button is stuck on...

lol-2.gif as I am now wiping the coffee off of my monitor!
ericread
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 18 2010, 06:11 AM) *

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 18 2010, 09:08 AM) *

agree.gif

lol-2.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jun 18 2010, 11:32 AM) *
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 18 2010, 09:06 AM) *
lol-2.gif as I am now wiping the coffee off of my monitor!

agree.gif lol-2.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 18 2010, 09:11 AM) *

agree.gif

yah -- laziness (cell camera) usually wins over quality (point+shoot) when it comes to these types of pics...

I'll try following the wires around some more, if it still actually works, maybe i'll try and get the wiring sorted a little better. For now, i'm going to wait for the latest round of cuts on my hands to heal from my last voyage through my interior...

I wonder what other fun surprises lie in store as i continue to explore this car! So far i found about 45 cents and a hershey kiss that predated me i think.
PanelBilly
Since it leads into the fresh air system, maybe it powers a squirter to spray air freshener into the ducts. You know to cover up the smell of ... well either the air comming into the cabin or the vapor comming off the occupants.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Good God your all wrong!!! The box is the famous "Flux Capactior " the switch is for it.

Don't forget you activate it while driveing flat out across a parking lot towards

The Town Hall with the clock in it,s tower. Let us know where you land????

pray.gif Dave slap.gif
76-914

Sorry Dave, It's a turboincabulator.
rwilner
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 18 2010, 03:50 PM) *

Since it leads into the fresh air system, maybe it powers a squirter to spray air freshener into the ducts. You know to cover up the smell of ... well either the air comming into the cabin or the vapor comming off the occupants.

a cabin fart evacuator. the ultimate wife-friendly accessory
detoxcowboy
under the steering column may be a kill/no-start switch anti-theft 1970's//.,./
Drums66
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 18 2010, 01:28 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

. Let us know where you land????

........ golfer.gif thumb3d.gif....Hopefully near the lady in the good barber's avatar
make sure the top's off! LOL
Sleepin
I have figured it out....some Alfa Head has stolen Andy's camera!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Alfa-R...ht_23903wt_1165
charliew
No it's his first camera the second one is better than that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.