Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-Brake light continues to Blink
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc
Hello,

Working on something else the other day and I noticed that when I put my E-Brake in the down position and it should stop blinking after start up, that it continues to blink, I took the switch out checked the connection and cleaned the connection, replaced and still blinks.
Do these switches go bad?
Where is the path of the wires from the switch to the left guage, I assume it runs under the seat brace to the console and up into the dash, I should check the connection to the guage from the switch at the E-Brake next?

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Vysoc idea.gif
flipb
Sounds like you need to press the reset button on the master cylinder.
Vysoc
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 18 2010, 09:49 AM) *

Sounds like you need to press the reset button on the master cylinder.

Where is the reset button on the Master Cylinder and what is the best way to access it?

Thank you,

Vysoc
nsr-jamie
It would be nice if somebody had a picture of the acutal reset switch too if possible.
flipb
You need to reach the master cylinder. There are photos of the switch somewheres on 914world, try search.

It's easiest with the car off the ground, but I managed to reset mine while parked by turning the wheels to the right, reaching behind the left front wheel with a flashlight and finding the button. Expect to get your hands dirty/scraped using this method - the other risk is of accidentally pulling the wire off the spade connector that feeds the brake light flasher. Re-connecting that with the car on the ground is a severe PITA. smile.gif

flipb
Here's a photo of my car, using the "reach-around" method to hit the reset button. IPB Image

The white plastic surrounds the metal button. On the left side, hard to see in this pic, is the male spade connector to which the wire in the foreground was connected... before I accidentally yanked it off.
McMark
OMG! It's been 10 years of me ranting about this over and over and over again. Not all brake light switches have the reset button.
Joe Ricard
Mark is right, I did have a M/C that did not have a button. I never seen a metal button. All mine have been plastic.
zonedoubt
For those without the button, unscrew the switch, then screw it back in. Worked for me.
Vysoc
Thanks, to all for the great suggestions.

Monday is my day off and day to work on the car. Jacked front up removed front left wheel. PO changed the MC to 19mm, no reset button, so I simply unhooked the connection. Cycled the ignition on, light was blinking put E-Brake down, light quit blinking. Turned switch off, reconnected wire to MC, turned ignition switch, light began blinking, put E-Brake down, light quit blinking. I did check before I started and the E-Brake was still blinking in engaged and unengaged E-Brake positions so, I think that is it......I hope

Oh yeah...before I submitted this I just went out and actually started the car up with E-Brake engaged, light blinking, E-Brake disengaged....light quit blinking.
I'm going to take this as a mini victory w00t.gif

Thanks to all for the great information.

Vysoc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.