Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotor Replacement for a 72 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver72
I want to replace my rotors especially in the front. The current rotors are lug centric. Can I replace existing with hub centric rotors. Only in front or all around?

Cap'n Krusty
IIRC, the answer is no. In order to do so, you must change the struts and the calipers, as well. I think you can leave the rears as they are.

The Cap'n
Tom_T
Krusty probably knows better than I -

... but I do know that there was a transition period on the early 73 MY 914s built in Summer/Sept 72 where there was a mix of "early" 72 MY & "late" 73 MY parts - including some with the hubcentric & some not on the front rotors & I didn't think that the whole assembly was different - just the rotors & maybe calipers too? ... but maybe not the struts, spindles, etc.??

My 73 2L was built 8/72 & has late rotors F & early R, late doors/window regulators but without the side impact bars in the doors & I think it originally had the late (hubcentric) front rotors, but I'd had at least 1 replacement set of rotors in its 172k mi duty as a DD.

IMHO - get the OEM Zimmerman rotors of whichever type if you're going to stay "stock" (IIRC they have cross-drilled Zimmermans too).

Another consideration is if your wheels have the machined inset to receive the hubcentric lip or not. If not & you update, then you'll have to have the wheels machined for the lips or get late wheels - so it may be more of a PITA than it's worth, as compared to just buying one or a couple of those brass/ss lug aligning studs at the usual sourses ($30+/- each). The OEM steel & alloy wheels have part numbers ending in -00 when lacking the groove for hubcentric, & later ones with the machined inset end with p/n -01.

Here's what they look like on a Fuchs 2L alloy -

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
Silver72
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 18 2010, 01:35 PM) *

Krusty probably knows better than I -

... but I do know that there was a transition period on the early 73 MY 914s built in Summer/Sept 72 where there was a mix of "early" 72 MY & "late" 73 MY parts - including some with the hubcentric & some not on the front rotors & I didn't think that the whole assembly was different - just the rotors & maybe calipers too? ... but maybe not the struts, spindles, etc.??

My 73 2L was built 8/72 & has late rotors F & early R, late doors/window regulators but without the side impact bars in the doors & I think it originally had the late (hubcentric) front rotors, but I'd had at least 1 replacement set of rotors in its 172k mi duty as a DD.

IMHO - get the OEM Zimmerman rotors of whichever type if you're going to stay "stock" (IIRC they have cross-drilled Zimmermans too).

Another consideration is if your wheels have the machined inset to receive the hubcentric lip or not. If not & you update, then you'll have to have the wheels machined for the lips or get late wheels - so it may be more of a PITA than it's worth, as compared to just buying one or a couple of those brass/ss lug aligning studs at the usual sourses ($30+/- each). The OEM steel & alloy wheels have part numbers ending in -00 when lacking the groove for hubcentric, & later ones with the machined inset end with p/n -01.

Here's what they look like on a Fuchs 2L alloy -

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif

Thanks all. I have Fuch repros that have the clearance for the lip. Any good places for the OE Zimmerman rotors and lug alignment studs?

Best!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.