Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bayern
how do you put on the front struts? they retract to quickly to attach the washer+nut and are never able to get high enough to attach the washer and nut. anyone have any ideas?
McMark
Put a jack under the ball joint and lift the a-arm that way.
bayern
tried it, it just lifted the car up....
SirAndy
QUOTE(bayern @ Jun 18 2010, 04:30 PM) *

Then something is in a bind.

The a-arm should move upwards with the shock detached on the top.
You're working against the torsion bars but with the floor-jack, it usually moves easily ...

idea.gif Andy
bayern
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 18 2010, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bayern @ Jun 18 2010, 04:30 PM) *

Then something is in a bind.

The a-arm should move upwards with the shock detached on the top.
You're working against the torsion bars but with the floor-jack, it usually moves easily ...

idea.gif Andy

what do you think is wrong then? what could be in a bind if we have it all setup right?
Cap'n Krusty
Get yourself a long 6mm bolt. Gotta be 6" or more. A piece of all thread rod works ............

Put it through the home in the strut mount and thread it into the top of the strut insert (shock absorber). Pull up on it and guide the shaft through the hole. Might need a pair of vise grips to help you do this. If it's all thread, use 2 or 3 nuts (or more) to provide a place to grip the rod. I've done a lot of 'em that way, it works.

The Cap'n
kpfoten
Here's my play-by-play for you visual learners--I just did this a couple of days ago with my Boge strut inserts. I used a 6mm 1.00 pitch bolt 80mm long ($0.79)and a floor jack. Works like a champ!

1) Thread bolt into center of strut

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

2) Use the floor-jack to raise the strut and wiggle/pull it through with some muscle (I found vice grips helped)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

3) The nut slips right over the top!

Click to view attachment

4) Tighten it down and unbolt!

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.