Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Key Cylinder problem - and a mystery part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sfrenck
Anyone know what the secret is to re-inserting the ignition lock cylinder back into the steering column of a '73? Mine seems to get stuck about 1/8" out from where it needs to be. I've tried various positions with the key in, without the key, move the steering wheel lock to the right, etc. to no avail.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Also, when I took the steering column switch off to access the cylinder, a little contactor appeared on the floor. Anyone know where this should go (and happen to have an installed picture?)?Click to view attachment

Thanks anyone and everyone.
fitzm1
Did you take the little screw out of the cylinder to remove the switch? If that screw is not perfectly flush with the cylinder it will catch right about there. Don't know what that clip is for.

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jun 18 2010, 03:59 PM) *

Anyone know what the secret is to re-inserting the ignition lock cylinder back into the steering column of a '73? Mine seems to get stuck about 1/8" out from where it needs to be. I've tried various positions with the key in, without the key, move the steering wheel lock to the right, etc. to no avail.

Also, when I took the steering column switch off to access the cylinder, a little contactor appeared on the floor. Anyone know where this should go (and happen to have an installed picture?)?

Thanks anyone and everyone.
mihai914
I'd say install is reverse of removal, but that kind of sucks as an answer.

Make sure that little flat screw that holds the electrical switch to the casing is well in and it's one of those cases where you have to push it a little so it will go in.

That small clip come from the turn signal or wiper stalk, it falls off easily.

If you look closely at the stalks you will see which one it's from.
sfrenck
Fitm1 - don't know what little screw you're speaking of... so I don't think I took it out / moved it. To get the lock out, all I did was use an awl to press the retaining spring on the cylinder in - it then slid right out. I thought it came out so easily it would just be a matter of making sure everything lined up to reinstall. I'm definitely hitting something - it won't move past the point in the picture.
sfrenck
I had read that tech article on Pelican - after I had already removed the lock cylinder. I guess I need to take the entire assembly out (electrical switch, and switch "holder") to get the lock to line up (and check the switch set screw)
ws91420
From my experience check the small roll pin on the lock assembly and make sure it is flush on both sides.
jaxdream
The piece with the little pin on top that is slid over to the right needs to be slid left to center so the key cylinder can slide on down to engage the pin in the bottom of the key cylinder. The contact piece may be fronm your turn / wiper assembly , check to see if any thing is missing. Not real sure on the contact , good luck ...

Jack / Jaxdream
championgt1
The pin with the red arrow pointing to it has a spring underneath it. The pin is sticking to far up and not allowing the cylinder to go all the way back in. I would pull the plug on the switch and remove the housing and than reinstall the cylinder.

Click to view attachment

The contact is from somewhere in the turn signal switch.
orthobiz
Here's a closeup of the cylinder and the little screw mentioned by fitzm1

IPB Image
IPB Image

Paul

PRS914-6
The little contactor you posted looks like a part from the turn signal switch
sfrenck
Well, taking the whole assembly out of the car and removing the switch (after taking out the little set screw) was the way to do it. Took all of about 2 minutes.

Now I just have to figure out where that contactor goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.