Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lookin to buy a bmw 330 ci for a daily
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
just looking for opinions,or thoughts, on the 330 ci -four door standard i am looking at 2002 to 2004 models
snakemain
Had a 2002 M3, and it was a frikkin TANK. Never had a problem with it. DIY for maintenance was easy. Then had a 2008 335i. Lots of issues with fuel pump or something...ran great when it was good, then just had some weird issues. Sold it before the warranty could run out. NA engines seem to be solid, but turbo got a little too complicated.
rick 918-S
I've owned BMW's for 20 years. Everything from 2002's to M3's. My current DD is a 95 525I T. (touring) 236,000 miles. Bought it with 80,000 I did a water pump at 200,000. They don't call them "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for nothing. driving.gif My next one will either be a newer 5 series touring or a 7 series. Need to carry a 16' ladder that folds to 4'. I carry is now in my touring but it should easily fit in the trunk of a 7 series.
Silverstreak
3 series= Legendary. Do your research on whatever one you choose. I like the new 1 series as well. Not sure what prices are like between the two.
Rav914
I had a 2001 325 CI for the past 18 months. Great car. Used as a daily driver for a long commute. comfortable, quiet, zero problems, perfect condition.....and completely boring. No soul.

Am in the process of selling it right now. If you want a lot of car for $10K and want a dependable commuter, a 330 or 325 is great. They're like the good-looking girlfriend with no personality. I drive the 914 daily now. Rain or shine. Makes me feel good.

My .02
Cap'n Krusty
If you like cars from a company that's used to being in second place, they're fine. Services are a bit pricey ...................

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 18 2010, 09:44 PM) *

If you like cars from a company that's used to being in second place, they're fine. Services are a bit pricey ...................

The Cap'n

This comment requires an explanation. WTF.gif
jimtab
That's why they call him Krusty....... av-943.gif
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 18 2010, 07:44 PM) *

The Cap'n

Well Cap'n...i have no problem being in second place!
If first place means taking the motor out every other year, replacing the throttle cable yearly, upgrading the shifting, wheels, brakes, suspension, flares....uhmm i think there is more....
yup....if second place means i can spend time on my 914 instead of my daily, i will gladly take it
unfortunately the wrangler has got to go
adambo
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jun 18 2010, 05:59 PM) *

I had a 2001 325 CI for the past 18 months. Great car. Used as a daily driver for a long commute. comfortable, quiet, zero problems, perfect condition.....and completely boring. No soul.

Am in the process of selling it right now. If you want a lot of car for $10K and want a dependable commuter, a 330 or 325 is great. They're like the good-looking girlfriend with no personality. I drive the 914 daily now. Rain or shine. Makes me feel good.

My .02

I own two E30 BMW's and couldn't agree more with your "no soul" statement. I can't stand driving most modern cars for that exact reason. Both have over 200,000 miles and are more reliable than the family Toyota Highlander. If I had the kind of money to spend on a 335 CI, I would buy a E30 M3 in a heartbeat.
-Adam
jmill

The Cap'n

Seriously. WTF.gif I bought the wife a 2006 330XI. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Handling is rock solid with a perfect blend of luxury and sportiness.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 18 2010, 08:42 PM) *

The Cap'n

This comment requires an explanation. WTF.gif

You musta skipped over the commercials during the NBA finals.....................

The Cap'n
Ian Stott
Man this is my day for posting! Had an 85 528 E, basically trouble free for300,000 KM, daughter has a 97 318 I, great car no problems, and my main squeeze runs around in an 2000 323 I, again a great trouble free car. I highly recommend BMW's and maintenance is cheaper in the long run as they aren't going in the shop for parts all the time like some other makes. Change your oil when you should and look after them, and they will look after you.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Moncton
Rav914
QUOTE(adambo @ Jun 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *

I own two E30 BMW's and couldn't agree more with your "no soul" statement. I can't stand driving most modern cars for that exact reason. Both have over 200,000 miles and are more reliable than the family Toyota Highlander. If I had the kind of money to spend on a 335 CI, I would buy a E30 M3 in a heartbeat.
-Adam

Now your talking. An E30 M3 would be a great car. So would an E21 323. And since we're 'talkin' an E9 wouldn't be so bad either.
solex
I had leased a 2000 328 Ci it was a great driving car particularly on the highway.

I would definitely disable any electronic stability controls as they are scary especially when driving the car hard, also the car handled poorly in the snow, but I had the M-appearance and handling package which made it a sled in bad weather.

I put 27K miles on it in one year and did not have one problem.

BTW: Ci and 4 door sedans are two different cars, the C stands for coupe at least that is what it stood for in 2000
E-Man
Hi Pete,

FYI, so you don't sound uninformed:

Beemers are the bikes, BIMMERs are the cars.

Also, get the Ci if you don't need to drive it in the snow. For snow, you'll absolutely love an E30 325ix. I don't have experience with the more recent xi models, but BMW makes a very good product so they are probably good in snow as well. My first BMW was a '72 3.0CSi (E9): THAT was a challenge to drive in snow. I did it for many years with just rear snow tires and never went off road. Really needed a light foot to accomplish that!

Do yourself a favor and join BMW Car Club of America too. Great magazine, great events, and a wonderful group of car guys and gals.

-Mike
underthetire
Got my daughter a mid 90's 318 two door last year. She loves it and it's been a solid car. FWIW.
PBR
BMW's are great cars. Pretty easy to work on, fun to drive, and IMO the best compromise between $, performance, and DD usability. Are there cars that can do these things better? Sure, but not without compromising one of the other two factors.

Maintenance is key with these cars though (much more so than your Japanese equivalent), and prices on parts command a premium (again, compared to your Honda/Toyota).

As usual, find the one with the lowest mileage for the best price you can find.
jmill
If your in snow country get the XI. Like I said, I bought one for the wife. It goes great in the snow. I'd pass on the earlier 325 and get the 2006 or later 330. It has much more pep. The 335 is a screamer but the turbo goodies are spendy to repair.
jmill
Got to drive this baby home from the dealer today. The wife had her 30K service done. Yes, BMW lets you take a new one home while they change the oil and add washer fluid.

Anyone who says BMW isn't #1 has never driven this one. They can also kiss my a$$.

jmill
KMA.gif

buhs914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 18 2010, 07:44 PM) *

The Cap'n

HAHA I loved that Audi commercial! They've always been higher on my list than Bimmers anyway..
Rleog
I have a '01 330 Ci with 130k miles that I bought when it had 86k on it. It's a fine car for a daily driver.

Control arm bushings wear out nore quickly than might be expected. The usual fix is to replace the control arm rather than just the c a bushing. At least one aftermarket supplier that I know of offers a replacement control arm that has bushings designed for easier replacement.

Because you're on a 914 board, I'm assuming that you can do basic maintenance. Shop costs on these cars are high, perhaps second only to Audi smile.gif .

I've had to replace pads and rotors and repair one sticking caliper. Took me awhile to locate caliper rebuild kits. Dealers don't stock them, they just charge you for a new caliper.

The car is an excellent value daily driver. I'll take my '01 330 over an '01 A4 any day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.