Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Guys - Water Pump inlets 2 remote waterpump hoses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
Thought I would post this for the V8 guys, I am one that like to use part numbers rather than trying to fab things up (most of the time). I found that Gates hoses, 21228 and 21391 have the perfect bends to fit the renegade pump and front engine fittings,with a little cutting. Buying an extra 2 of these I also was able to add a protective layer to each hose by slicing and zip tieing them over. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Andyrew
Nice!!!
Dont know why an extra layer of protection is necessary.. Most of the issues come in the form of the hoses popping off on the motor end due to pressure. I always double clamp mine and tighten them with socket wrenches. Looks like you got GOOD clamps on yours though
wallys914
I noticed they were rubbing on the heads and they were close to the headers, also I have harnesses in my car with the 4" plate backing, the potiential of them somehow hitting that scares me. Better be safe and paranoid then on the side of the road...
Katmanken
What's a waterpump?

You got some splainin to do......

Oh, wait, I get it,...

It's gas powerered windshield washer pump.

So how do you sleeve down those big hoses to the little windshield washer hoses?

Andyrew
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Jun 18 2010, 07:41 PM) *

I noticed they were rubbing on the heads and they were close to the headers, also I have harnesses in my car with the 4" plate backing, the potiental of them somehow hitting that scares me. Better be safe and paranoid then on the side of the road...

Got it. Better save then sorry!
andys

I noticed they were rubbing on the heads and they were close to the headers, also I have harnesses in my car with the 4" plate backing, the potiential of them somehow hitting that scares me. Better be safe and paranoid then on the side of the road...

Wally914,

Your concern is a good one and it's often overlooked by many. Chaffing hoses against corners and edges is a very real concern. Though it may not always look pretty, it can avoid real headaches down the road. I've done exactly what you have done even on race cars.

Andys
Phoenix-MN
I used molded hoses from NAPA on my conversion. NAPA has a great catalog with illistrations and sizes here:

http://www.napabeltshose.com/downloads/fil...UIDE_FORWEB.pdf

Navigate to: Product Guide/Hose/Molded Coolant Hose Dimensions and Illistrations by size.

I found hoses that fit perfectly biggrin.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 18 2010, 10:29 PM) *

Wally914,

Your concern is a good one and it's often overlooked by many. Chaffing hoses against corners and edges is a very real concern. Though it may not always look pretty, it can avoid real headaches down the road. I've done exactly what you have done even on race cars.

Andys

Hey guys!

I think I'm about ready to put the engine/tranny in car...finally!

I have a Renegade mechanical water pump setup (mounted on the drivers side) and I've seen some conflicting photos of how the two smaller water pump ports are connected to the front of the block(SBC)... in regards to which port on the water pump gets connected to which port on the front side of the engine? Does it matter?

It seems like the water pump can be mounted in its bracket in more than one position. I think the whole pump can be rotated 90 degrees at a time until the pump to bracket bolts line up. Does this matter?

At this moment, mine is mounted so that, looking at the rear of the pump, one small port is at the 10-11 o'clock position and the other is at the 4-5 o'clock position. The inlet port from the radiator is facing down or at the 6 o'clock position. Is this okay?

I have been trying to follow a set of instructions I got with my Renegade kit, but the instructions and kit are circa 1993 and are somewhat vague.

While we're at it... what's the best way to install the engine/tranny combo into the car? Instuctions say put the whole thing on a floor jack... balanced on the oil pan; wheel it into position and jack it up.

Thanks for all the help!! smile.gif
computers4kids
Thanks for sharing...if or should I say when I pull the motor I'll add the molded hoses and extra layer--double clamping always.

Can't think of any good reason to pull the motor though...
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Jun 18 2010, 08:24 PM) *

Thought I would post this for the V8 guys, I am one that like to use part numbers rather than trying to fab things up (most of the time). I found that Gates hoses, 21228 and 21391 have the perfect bends to fit the renegade pump and front engine fittings,with a little cutting. Buying an extra 2 of these I also was able to add a protective layer to each hose by slicing and zip tieing them over. biggrin.gif

Well, I finally got my engine and tranaxle in. Had no idea how to do it, but within 4 hours, it was done!

Unfortunatley, I did not get an answer to my question about the hose configuration on the water pump before putting the engine in.

Does anybody know... I have a Renegade mechanical water pump setup (mounted on the drivers side) and I've seen some conflicting photos of how the two smaller water pump ports are connected to the front of the block(SBC)... in regards to which port on the water pump gets connected to which port on the front side of the engine? Does it matter?

It seems like the water pump can be mounted in its bracket in more than one position. I think the whole pump can be rotated 90 degrees at a time until the pump to bracket bolts line up. Does this matter?

At this moment, mine is mounted so that, looking at the rear of the pump, one small port is at the 10-11 o'clock position and the other is at the 4-5 o'clock position. The inlet port from the radiator is facing down or at the 6 o'clock position. Is this okay?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.