Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: STOP! What's the hot setup for 5-lug brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
datapace
Bought an '85 Carerra suspension the other week for the teener. I've heard mention of some people using Wilwood calipers, but wondered if anybody had any more info on the Coleman setup. What calipers, they have several with 3.5" ears on the website. Also, what rotors and hats do you guys prefer?

The car will be used for some driver education events and is not a daily driver.

Thanks,

-datapace
campbellcj
I would use...tada...the Carrera brakes! They are more than fine for 99.8% of 914 cars & drivers IMHO.

Now if your car has 350+ HP and a widebody kit letting you run big enough rubber to use some mega brakes, then nevermind the above and think seriously about some big Brembos (i.e. 993tt or 928S4) or equivalent. w00t.gif
datapace
Sorry, forgot to mention it's a V8 conversion with a 327 SBC ... about 350 HP. No flares yet, just 16x7 fuchs.

The old calipers need to be rebuilt and after seeing the price of rebuild kits for 84+ calipers and rotors, I was wondering if this would be a cost effective alternative. I understand there will be more maintenance but it seems like it would be cheaper in the long run.
Joe Bob
Try the Carrera calipers with Porterfield or Pagid pads and slotted rotors....if you start getting fade THEN pay the big bucks......
Brad Roberts
I run a Coleman setup but it isnt that cheap when you are done.

Hang in there. Very soon you will have a new caliper available that has 4 pistons and accepts a factory 930 brake pad and fits under a 15 inch wheel. I have been working with the company to make sure we get a rear caliper that fits our control arms (they already have the fronts done but are not ready for sale.) They are still 6 months out. Run the stock Carrera stuff for now. It will be more than fine.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.