Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 1 - Rice Rocket 0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
It seems every rice rocket has figured out that they can outrun a 35+ year old 4cyl 914. Maybe it's a notch in their gun for every 914-4 they can pass. Who knows? Thus begins my story.
Last week was a very busy week and I wasn't able to get to the bank in order to make some deposits. One evening I decided to take the 914 out and make those deposits. Kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak. One of the roads from the HiWay into our subdivision is still a small 2 lane farm to market road that has never been widened with a 45mph speed limit. It's a straight 1.5 mile unobstructed road which then dumps onto the SH 79. The scenario is one which all of you are or will become familiar with. I'm cruising down this road at 55 and this azz is riding mine. I give him the benefit of the doubt and increase my speed to 60 thinking he might have an emergency. For the next mile I listen to the sound of his very impatient megaphone muffler barking orders to me. As we approach the HiWay the traffic signal holds it's green color as someone might hold a door open for you. At that moment I knew the 914 Gods had intervened. I never touched the brakes, nor did I let off the accelator pedal. I just made the turn at 60mph. Now I don't how his running lights were arranged on that car but I saw all of them in my rear view mirror twice that night. He didn't slide into the drainage ditch but he wasn't on asphalt anymore, either. On a scale of 1 to 10, I wondered what his pucker factor had been. Can an ass really eat a seat?
When I came back from the depository he was still off the road with his hood up??? and a cop had stopped. I honked as I drove past happy11.gif but he didn't even wave. The nerve of that guy! Azzwipe.
zymurgist
lol-2.gif
blitZ
Classic. I've had that happen several times. Blow off some punk riding my bumper not by hitting the gas, just by not hitting the brake.
Ian Stott
Gives me Goose Bumps!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
rick 918-S
Never follow a mid-engine car into a corner.. screwy.gif When will they learn... shades.gif
underthetire
Thats a good story. I vote you for the 914 narrator! I had a kid in a jeep cherokee pull something like that on me by my house. I don't like to speed much, so same thing, all I can see is his headlights in my mirror. We run to a green on the fwy on ramp. Now he is struggling to keep up on the on ramp, and i'm letting him. Little does he know the on ramp tightens up just before it merges to the fwy. He was on two wheels sliding by that point. How he didn't roll i'll never know.
Al Meredith
I have a 912E but 99% don't know it's a 4 (2056) and think it is a 911 and want to race. Just about anything can go faster, but if I can keep them behind me untill an exit ramp I hold class on handeling and brakes.
toon1
av-943.gif
jsayre914
popcorn[1].gif

awesome story, with a good moral biggrin.gif
JRust
Puts a smile on my face biggrin.gif . That is the kind of thing you wish you could catch on camera
ripper911
lol-2.gif smoke.gif
Silverstreak
This happens to me alot when I'm in the Z (Don't call it a "rice burner"). Damn Mustangs wanna get all over my ass till I throw it in a corner and leave them behind with their body roll and ass end hanging out. There's muscle cars and then there's sporting cars, I prefer the sporting variety, hence I bought a teener. Have yet to see how well it handles, but I can't wait.
ottox914
This one does not involve a ricer, but every time I recall it I smile. Ordered up a pizza one night, took the teener to pick it up. With pizza in the passenger seat, I went to the local liquor store for some beer. Hard to have a guys night at home, (wife was working late) with pizza and no beer. The store I stopped at had a drive up canopy, so I pull under that and take the roof off, stowing it in the back trunk. I grab a case of my favorite dark german beer, and put this in the front trunk. The sales guy bolts out the door as I start the car, and says: "Where's the engine?".
corsepervita
Lol, I scared the pants off my friend not long ago. We have some very tight 10-15 mph corners out by my house. He's had the pleasure of driving in my 924 and my 944, and I helped him learn to ride. He came by to see my 914 and I said "Well hell, let's go for a drive." and he said "I thought you'd never ask!"

So we go hit up the twisties and have a little bit of fun. I know the corners quite well and wanted to have some fun. I didn't push the car to it's limits, nor did I go balls to the walls. But I maintained a consistent speed and gear, and didn't hit the brakes, we just walked through the twisties and had some fun at a speed that was safe, but fun. You could see him sort of tuck back in the seat as we'd approach and keep the same speed, as we exited the corners I turned around and went back home... proceeding through the same corners.

When the corners ended and we were back on straight road I said "Well. Hope you had fun." and the look on his face was one that was of astonishment and surprise. "*** son of a ***** that thing handles!"

Safe to say he enjoyed the drive.

My favorite ricer burner moment was when I was on my way to work in my 944 and some kid in a loud fart can honda rolled up next to me and gave me "that nod" and kept romping on the gas trying to get me to race. Mind you, this part of the highway is heavily monitored, I don't street race anymore (that was in my young and stupid days) but this kid wanted some.

So I nodded back to him like "let's race" - he did the whole gun it thing and I pretended like I was going to, but immediately laid back in my seat again and continued to go the speed limit and did nothing once he romped on the gas. I don't think the kid noticed, he proceeded to speed off like fast and the furious heading off on the highway, probably thinking he smoked me. Eventually I didn't see him anymore.

2 minutes later I go over the hill and on the way down here's a state trooper with fart can racer #1 pulled over. I laughed because I knew he probably hit the speed trap coming over the hill. Prrrrrriceless. Looks like in the end I won the race and didn't have to do anything but go the speed limit tongue.gif
messix
i've got a road near me that is called high bridge rd, on week ends and evenings the crotch rocket guys are out on that road. this road has some very nice reducing radius, off camber, 180%, and nice sweeping corners as well as varying elevations.
on one of our teener tuesdays i took the crew out on high bridge and ended up catching up on some of the crotch monkeys, well after a couple of corners the monkeys thought it best to pull off and let us pass, i think we had 6-8 of us that day. this happens regularly for me when i go for a little drive on that road.

i still don't have sway bars installed yet..... do i really need them? happy11.gif
Tom
Messix,
Don't make too much out of that. Now days too many "kids" are buying way more motorcycle than they can ride and think they are fast.
Tom
Pat Garvey
Interesting & cute, but moderator needed here!
P
corsepervita
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 20 2010, 05:55 PM) *

Messix,
Don't make too much out of that. Now days too many "kids" are buying way more motorcycle than they can ride and think they are fast.
Tom

I think we're supposed to call'em squiddlies! tongue.gif Far too many of them around here.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 20 2010, 06:12 PM) *

P

? not sure if it was my blankety blank blank in my post, if so, apologies and edited.I am still new to the forums so apologies if my verbiage was too out there. It's been censored by yours truly. My inner sailor came out.
underthetire
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 20 2010, 05:55 PM) *

Messix,
Tom

It's the old guys on the old school cafe racers and the old guys on the supermoto's you wanna watch out for. The crotch rockets really don't handle the twisties too well.
zymurgist
I know I slow down probably more than is necessary, especially on downhill turns and/or blind curves. Still have a pretty good self-preservation reflex, I guess.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 20 2010, 06:12 PM) *

P

confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 20 2010, 05:12 PM) *

P

Huh???
Tom_T
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 20 2010, 06:56 AM) *

When I came back from the depository he was still off the road with his hood up??? and a cop had stopped. I honked as I drove past happy11.gif but he didn't even wave. The nerve of that guy! Azzwipe.

Wut - no pix!!?? confused24.gif

You shoulda stopped & snapped a few of his sorry "A" sitting there collecting fines! biggrin.gif

Hey, thank him for helping out the local yokels out there in Tickle-meckula to balance the budget, cuz he's gonna pay a load of extra BS fees that they've tacked onto all the tickets now! dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.