Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gerry McCarthy, were are you?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
realred914
calling Jerry McCarthy (Gerald McCarthy) contact me ASAp regarding the Porsche that was damaged in your shop. You need to take care of this, either give me the contact info of the employee / freind of your s that hit my car or pay for the damages. it was in your care, now man up and contact me.

Note to all......
All you folks avoid this Gerry McCarthy guy, he is being a deadbeat and wont take care of damages that happened to my two cars whilest in his shop. you can reconize him cause he is partially deaf. mid fifties white male with white hair.

he runs Rennsport Vintage Werks in Pleasaton CA.

he claims to be the son of a famous carrera engine builder and an expert in autobody repair, but he ended up hacking my two cars after he was advanced money. total rip off lost near $10,000 in damages and money to this guy, now he plays deaf and dumb and wont reply.

he lurks here. watch out for him soliciting work
ConeDodger
Try the Bureau of Automotive Repair. They will make him care.
realred914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 20 2010, 11:16 AM) *

Try the Bureau of Automotive Repair. They will make him care.

well Jerry McCarthy (Aka Gerald McCarthy) the Porsche 356/914 carrera expert did send me a email, that was kind of cryptic. No commitment to make right anything yet by him. I am still awaiting his reply to mine. meanwhile stay away from Jerry McCarthy until this is straightened out.

never have had so much damage done to any car, much less two cars. now he is silent.

stuff tossed on the top of the 914 like it was a work bench, denting the front fender, then the car got crashed into by one of his freinds while they partied in the shop playing with there sandrails (during time he told me he'd be workign on my 356 which I pre-paid himn for, then he runs out for two weeks to pismo. no work dont on my 356 dispite him being paid. then we find him destroying the 356 in a mad rage with his plasma cutter. probably high as can be on pot, as he had zero explanatnion for plasma cutting the perfectly good bottom of my trunk out, other than him saying "I thought it should have been higher" Hell Jerry McCarthy (AKA Gerald McCarthy ) was high all right, to damn high to know right from wrong.

that little mistake cost a $1000 part plus near a grand more for labour. he offers me only $500 payment, saying that is all he will pay for the damages (his warped logic) then he tells me he has no money. dispite him taking a long vactaion, and him being on a buying spree for new tools and equipment. he took my money, wasted it, dispite a big pre-payment, he has nohting to pay me for the damages, heck that pre-paid money was not even billed.

sounds like a rip-off? you bet!!!!

Avoid Jerry McCarthy (Gerald McCarthy) he runs Rennsport Vintage Werks in pleasanton CA, he is a deaf man (partially deaf, needs a hearing aid, and uses a phone translater).

when he gets around to contacting me to settle, I will notify you all that it is safe to deal with him again. until then, run away from him.

Dr Evil
Post pics and sue him for what you feel you are owed. Shitty situation. It would be cheaper and a much better job in the long run to just ship it to Scotty B in VA.
jmill
Do you have car insurance? If so let them deal with him. File a claim, get them fixed and they'll sue him for the repair costs.
realred914
still awaiting Jerry McCarthy (aka Gerald McCarthy) reply. he has gone deaf and is not responding to any emails.

Looks like Rennsport Vintage Werks of pleasanton has a date with the authorities. (BAR) I have given him every opertunity to make this right. even willing to have him make monthly payments at this point, but he wont acknowledge any agreement to take care of this. guess he is running and hiding from his creditors.

latest chapter in the story of Jerry McCarthy
realred914
jerry McCarthy (aka Gerald McCarthy) of Rennsport vintage werks.

where are you jerry McCarthy? you owe money and are playing hide in seek. man up and take care of your debts.

we know you read this, you have been offered options to pay. Come on and be a man and take care of this.
TedK
Hate to hear stories like this. From bitter experience I can tell you anyone who needs to be paid in advance is a big red flag. Run away.
realred914
still silence from jerry McCarthy (aka Gerald McCarthy) guess he is busy running from creditors or maybe just messing up someones car.

comon jerry man up and contact me. You can even make payments if you dont have the cash in hand. or maybe sell off some of that windfall equipment you bought with the money I paid you?

you need to take care of this stuff. you dont go wrecking someones 914 (and 356) and just play like you dont hear the complaint. take care of your business asap.
SirAndy
Do you know his member name here?

idea.gif Andy
Dr Evil
agree.gif

Otherwise, is this thread serving any purpose? You are doing more than calling him out here, right? I hope so.
SirAndy
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jul 8 2010, 09:26 AM) *
Jerry McCarthy (aka Gerald McCarthy)

Is that him?

Carrera916

idea.gif Andy
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 8 2010, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Jul 8 2010, 09:26 AM) *
Jerry McCarthy (aka Gerald McCarthy)

Is that him?

Carrera916

idea.gif Andy

That is the name posted on the Club site. Never met the guy myself. Lets hold the next WCR at his shop.
realred914
he emailed me and said he would take care of things, last thursday but has not commited to anything yet. I am still awaiting his reply as to when he will pay for the 914 fenders and the 356 trunk. I will give him a little more time to respond.

The world awaits
underthetire
And on his signature, say's he's waiting for Muellers flairs. Mueller did say something about trading those for paint. Maybe we/I should warn Mueller?
realred914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 10 2010, 10:10 AM) *

And on his signature, say's he's waiting for Muellers flairs. Mueller did say something about trading those for paint. Maybe we/I should warn Mueller?

There is NO paint facility there. He did paint his own car however, and it is full of runs and drips, (backyard job gone wrong) Mueller should accept nothing but cash up front.
underthetire
Good to know, since it looks like he's gonna be working with me. He got laid off a while back, now he's gonna have a better job with more money biggrin.gif

I can't wait, I'm so backlogged I really need his help.
underthetire
I called Mueller, and he knows the guy. Said he's had some tough times, but has been a stand up guy with him. I don't know either way, and thats the last of my involvement with this. Good luck with your issues with him, hope it turns out ok.
realred914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 10 2010, 11:08 AM) *

Good to know, since it looks like he's gonna be working with me. He got laid off a while back, now he's gonna have a better job with more money biggrin.gif

I can't wait, I'm so backlogged I really need his help.

he was fired from his teaching job, sexual harrasment, thats what he told me. stand up guys dont take the money you advance them and then run off working on his buddies sandrails for two weeks, then takes off for two weeks to pismo, leaving me with no ne to work on my car after he was advanced all the money, then he gets back and tells me it is too cold to work in his shop, then he tells me he has to work on other cars to bring money in (he sepnt all the money I advanced him, so no I am on the back of the list cause I paid first, nice logic)

then he tears apart my perfectly fine trunk on my 356 with plasma tourch, totally unauthorized, and wrong then he tells me he can fix it back again, trys for about four months just wasting time, then finally I tell him to not fix it, but replace it right, but he will only pay for half the $1000 battey box / trunk cost, then he after I buy it, he tells me he cant even pay the $500 , then he goes back to the doors he worked on many month before (and was paid for) and we fine they dont fit,

then he goes and drills thirty holes in my good trunk lip after I told him to stop work on the trunk, totally unneeded, it was a butchered job, morte damage.

then I show up to meet him to discuss the car (an hour drive for me each way) and he tells me he needs a lunch beak first eats while on the computer for half an hour) then he tells me he needs to go round the block to pick up some carb cleaner, (didn;t we schedual this time???) and dont show back for aver half an hour, cuase he decide to drop off his bootles for recycling, so I am left cooling my heels waiting for him, he gets back, work on a wled for a few minutes then goes to the bathroom for like 15-20 minutes, then comes out all red eyed and stinking like weed welds for a couple minutes and then tells me he cant work on my car any more.

meanwhile three-four months prior my 914 also in his shop is smashed on both left fenders, but he never told me, till I take a look at it, and fine the rear fender punched in, yet pulled out (oil canned) he tells me ," oh that happened when things were beign moved around, I'll take care of it, I aske him how and he simply ignores the questsion and just says I'll take care of it.

you know I had to buy five door bottoms for my 356 he ruined three of them, all cut up and wrong, and he insisted that I pay for the damaged metal. there was no end to it.

drug have taken it's toll on this guy. dishonesty and inability to work, refusal to follow good welding procedures (yes I asked him not to pour water on the over heated wleds as it was rusting the body and warping the metal, yet he kept doing it.

I am out near $10,000 in money paid to him, and have two cars badly damaged by him.

and he refuses to reply to emails other than that he needs to get his ends together, what ever that means, it dont sound like he will be able to make good on anything.

he was advanced money and went and partied with his friends, he refused to work on the car he was paid to work on, excuses excuses, then he wants me to pay for the damages he did, that drugged out evening with the plasma cutter did near $2000 in damages, the trunk was just fine before he decided it "looked wrong to him" yet when he saw photos of other 356's he says opps, and then wastes my time for several months trying to fix the mess. way over his head,

runaway from this guy, poor work,, theft, hit and run, crappy attitude, all at a one stop shop.

underthetire
It's Mueller that will be working with me, not this Mcarthy guy. Sounds like he couldn't pass the background check anyway. I know Mueller, he is a good guy.
RJMII
I wonder how much of this thread could be considered libel. smile.gif
laflaur
I wonder if the op has gone down to this guys shop.I would if were my property that had been damaged.I personally have never understood the purpose of starting a thread to "go after" someone.If you got business with somebody handle your business and then post the outcome.But thats just me,ymmv
scotty b
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 11 2010, 11:26 AM) *

agree.gif

I've kept my opinion to myself long enough. Mike I appreciate your suggestion Dave send his car to me but no thanks. I get a really bad vibe form this guy. All he has done since his appearance a month or two ago is insult Andy and Mark right off the bat, he has told other members they are wrong in their assessments of mechanical or body issues, and has now been on this tirade against Gerry McCarthy. hissyfit.gif

" Thou doth protest too much " comes to mind

Time and time again ( and on several forums ) he has called this guy ( Gerry ) out, and his ( Dave's ) words and allegations get harsher and harsher. IF what he says is true, I truely feel for him, and hope this gets resolved in his favor. BUT there are now allegations of

a: Theft
b:property damage
c:sexual harassment
d: drug abuse

Next I assume he will be a rapist and a murderer. confused24.gif I'm not saying any of this is untrue, but it is in VERY poor form, and smacks of the boy who cried wolf. Bets of luck Dave, but IMHO keep it to yourself from here on out. As Jim pointed out, you have now opened yourself to a lawsuit. Man up and do what's right, LEGALLY and intelligently. Not like a 5 year old on the playground.
zymurgist
ILBT popcorn[1].gif
jimtab
My only question is who pays in advance for car repair? And why?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jul 11 2010, 08:03 PM) *

No shit!
zymurgist
IMO:

Scotty is on the money here. It doesn't seem to be enough for you to join a forum and personally insult members as you go... most of us are adults and just let that roll off our backs, but you created your own bad first impression. That's small potatoes compared to the possibility that a court may find that you have libeled this individual; I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that this could place our entire venue (914world) at risk. I would hate to see this guy's attorney go after Andy because of something that you posted here.

Deal with him using the proper legal channels, please. He's not going to make you whole due to anything that has been written here anyway.
rmital
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 11 2010, 05:49 PM) *

ILBT popcorn[1].gif

ILBT = ??? can't figure that one out confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jul 11 2010, 06:03 PM) *

screwy.gif
stepuptotheMike
bye1.gif
Jake Raby
I'd say the OP should do one of the following:

1- Take care of this through the legal system

2- Find the accused and beat the shit out of him.

rmital

ILBT popcorn[1].gif

Joe Walsh song...I like Big T's popcorn[1].gif lol-2.gif
tradisrad
I almost had Jerry do some work on my silver 914, but I found a new roller instead.

However I did have him do some sheet metal work for my engine tin. My green roller has a 6 cylinder mount in it and I put a 4cylinder in the car, so I needed to modify the engine tin to fit around the mount. I did some inital bending and measurments and then handed the project over to Jerry to do the welding (since he neeeded the $$). Well, his bill came to $500. He claimed that he spent many many hours getting it "right". The sheet metal fit (picture below), but I was shocked by the bill. I paid him cash.

My friend Jim had him replace the floor pans in a convertable bug. Jim was dissapointed in the amount of time it took, he found several things broken after he got the car back and the bill was much larger than the estimate.

I think that realred914 gave money up front in good faith that Jerry would do the work and with the quality he promised. He also wanted to help Jerry out and give him the opportunity to get his shop started. Initally Dave had a good heart in trying to help Jerry out, but over time his frustration with Jerry grew and the repairs were not being done as Jerry needed to bring in more work to pay his bills (must have spent Dave's $$ w/o doing the work). Edit: I did see the oil canned fender on his 914 (that was not there prior to the car being in the shop) and the damaged (ill repaired) doors and front end of the 356. The cars were in the shop for about a year with negative progress made.

I don't have any hard feelings for Jerry, but I do understand Daves frustrations and issues with him. Hopefully all will work out for the best with all of the partied involved.

The modified sheet metal can be seen above the green "6" mount.
IPB Image
Dr Evil
I only pay good friends up front, right Scotty? wink.gif

I hate getting paid up front as it is demotivating at times.
zymurgist
QUOTE(rmital @ Jul 12 2010, 10:25 AM) *

ILBT popcorn[1].gif

Joe Walsh song...I like Big T's popcorn[1].gif lol-2.gif

True dat. I always used to post IBTL (In Before The Lock) on threads that were in danger of being closed. I got corrected several times on this, though, and since I like Big T's too, I decided to go with the flow. biggrin.gif
realred914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 11 2010, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 11 2010, 11:26 AM) *

agree.gif

I've kept my opinion to myself long enough. Mike I appreciate your suggestion Dave send his car to me but no thanks. I get a really bad vibe form this guy. All he has done since his appearance a month or two ago is insult Andy and Mark right off the bat, he has told other members they are wrong in their assessments of mechanical or body issues, and has now been on this tirade against Gerry McCarthy. hissyfit.gif

" Thou doth protest too much " comes to mind

Time and time again ( and on several forums ) he has called this guy ( Gerry ) out, and his ( Dave's ) words and allegations get harsher and harsher. IF what he says is true, I truely feel for him, and hope this gets resolved in his favor. BUT there are now allegations of

a: Theft
b:property damage
c:sexual harassment
d: drug abuse

Next I assume he will be a rapist and a murderer. confused24.gif I'm not saying any of this is untrue, but it is in VERY poor form, and smacks of the boy who cried wolf. Bets of luck Dave, but IMHO keep it to yourself from here on out. As Jim pointed out, you have now opened yourself to a lawsuit. Man up and do what's right, LEGALLY and intelligently. Not like a 5 year old on the playground.

well scotty every thing about Jerry I said is true. even his dad acknowledges his drug problem to me. Jerry personnaly told me why he was fired from his job at teaching for the stated reason. my cars (a 914 and 356) were damaged (id venture to say vandalized , the way he took the plasma tourch to my perfectly fine 356 trunk, only a drunk or druggy would do that), oh, and he was stinking like weed and had red eyes when he came out of the bathroom one time as god is my witness. he took my money in a very dishonest way and refused to work on my car, he had my cars for nearly one year!. near $10,000 latter they were in worse shape, parts ruined, missing etc.....

I posted to warn others of a crooked shop. to keep others from experienceing the probelms with this guy. I wouldn't even wish this guy on you scotty. and yes i am harsh with jerry becuase he is not responding to requests to make good. I have gotten only cryptic messages from him he wont man up to his mistakes.

I think you will find that I have added comments to this site other than insult mark and andy. and if other members are wrong in sorting out a car probelm, I will let them know in an attempt to help. You may not have any body or mechanical knowledge to add when you read something that might be wrong, but I do.

please review all my postings and you will find that you scotty are libelous in your comment that all my posts have insulted mark and andy.

what Jerry mccarthy did was rip me off, you may not believe it, so go ahead and give him your car for a few months, loan him some cash, and see what happens.

you have no basis to call me out as making this up your libalous statement about all my posts insulting mark and andy is a lie, go look it up and then correct your statement.
realred914
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jul 11 2010, 04:03 PM) *

i was trying to be a nice guy and help him out. he lied and misrepresented himself, and took me for a ton of cash, plus damaged my cars. I tried to help him, call me a sucker with a good trusting heart, but even i have my limits when he ripped me off he, had nearly a year to get it right, How long should this sucker wait???? should this kind sucker (me) knowing this guy is a rip off, allow him to prey on others? I dont think so.
tradisrad
picture posted for realred914:
Click to view attachment
realred914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jul 12 2010, 09:29 AM) *

picture posted for realred914:
Click to view attachment

yup, thats my 356, the verticle panel shown in the front is the rear batty box wall, there should be four walls all around, and a floor there too, gerry cut them all out for no reason one night, he did it with a plasma tourch, but in this phot the jagged edges were removed with a saw, about two-three inchs off the walls was removed, right thru some hard to reproduce stampings. a short while after this photowas taken and after I told jerry to stop work on the front, he went ahead and drilled thrity holes in the lip above the rear wall and removed it, in doing so he damaged teh lip all thirty holes need to be filled you dont butcher good parts to remove bad ones!

ther was nothing wrong with the trunk before he decided one night to cut it out, He tired for about four months to recreate the damaged part, and did nothing but warp more metal, he also admited to me the cutting of the trunk was a mistake.

he did several more of these things, I went thru five door bottoms with him he kept cutting them wrong, making them un-useble, the list goes on and on. doors dont fit, (he hid that fact from me, he did the doors first, but didn;t finish them, just when they were ready to be hung and final skinned, he stopped work on them, leaned them aginst a wall, and declared he needed to move on to the nose, I paid for the work done on teh doors, but did not see them hang on the car yet. he never did explain way suddenly he switched from the doors to the nose. After the nose got all messed up by him, and we waited for the new battery box to arrive I told him to hang the doors, opps they dont fit, and I already paid him for them, and he then spend about three month fooling around them, and he stil couldn't get it right. he threw up his pot stained hands, and declared he couldn't work on my car anymore.

all told the car was damaged and he had all my money spent.

the 914 in his shop was also damaged when he moved it, he didn't bother to tell me about the dents, I had to find it, he told me he'd take care of it, yet did nothing to fix it, now he claims he is broke, and for a long time he refused to answer any emails regarding how he would cover this. That is why i went public, he is a danger to your Porsche, and wont man up and cover the damages.

Jerry Mccarthy informed me he has no insurance to cover the damaged 914
no shop insurance, then run away!!!

I wouldn't wish this guy even on scotty ,

I am sure folks that might have used this guy will be thanking me for the warning.

so much for me being a trusting fool. my bad, I just dont want anyone else to make that mistake. so long as he is open for bussiness, he is a danger. beware

PS at first i actaully was so suckered by him, all his talk and claimed knowledge and experience, that I publically posted a recommendation for him (since retracted) since I had personally vouched for him publically, I am obligated for my own sake to de-vouch for him in the strongest terms.

I actally caused two great freinds to use him, and they BOTH got burned, tradisrad, and a friend who had jerry mcCarthy do the floor pans in his Bug, twice the original price, lost parts, broken interior parts,( litterally smashed,) Gerry also worked(???) on his roll up door windows to attempt to line them up better with the top, bad bad. I was they with friend when friend inquired to Jerry what the plastic vapour barrier was for in behind the door panel. Jerry replied correctly that it was for vapour protection of the panels, and that he, unilke most shops would always replace it and make sure they are sealed becuase they are so important, he stressed his knowledge and care he would take in putting it together.

fast forward to when my friend was installing a new outer wiper on the door for the roll up window (he had to replace it, becuase Jerry McCarthy LOST IT, yes it was not there when he got the car back, calls to Jerry resulted in no seal, he could not find it at his shop, it was lost.

Well friend pulls off door panel to facilite the install, and, look, no vapour barrier!!!! Gerry McCarthy was full of it, I heard him say it, that "the barrier was so important and he always re-installs then unlike most shops", Later the missing barrier. go figure. quality you cant trust.

also when Jerry Mccarthy took went to remove the convertible Bugs window winder mechanism from the door, he couldn't figure it out, so he went ahead and DRILLED OUT THE PIVOT POINT RIVITS of the mechanism arms to dissassemble the thing to remove it. then he says duh! should have seen this simple bolt, yeah he missed a bolt, couldn't remove it, so he buthrered it by cutting it out. DUMB! He did more damage than good.

Jerry McCarthy Of Rennsport Vintage Werks had the same pattern of work on both my 914 and 356, he did MORE damage than good. just is I not only have the damaged cars, I am out a ton of cash with him, and he is refusing to even respond to offers to negotiate payment terms, I dont hate the man, just his actions.

i am totally ashamed I got these two guys as Jerry's customers, suckered into at first recommending him.
ConeDodger
If a BAR licensed shop will exceed an estimate by greater than 10% they must call the customer for authorization. If this happened, you call BAR. We aren't BAR.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 12 2010, 10:30 AM) *
If this happened, you call BAR. We aren't BAR.

But we spend lot of time at BAR! drunk.gif
scotty b
Hey Dave I just wanted to let you know I got your PM, I also got PM's from members thanking me for calling you out. Seems a lot of posts here in this threead also agree with my point. YOU sir need to re-read my post to you, FULLY and try to comprehend what I was saying to you, instead of having a knee jerk reaction and turning your vitrial on me.

" I wouldn't even wish this guy on you scotty. "

Very mature of you. dry.gif You obviously have decided I am a bad guy now just because I called you out. Sorry the whole world doesn't agree with you Dave

My whole point was that you, by making all these posts on numerous forums, are making yourself look bad. I never called you a liar
( re-read my post ) what I said is your continued tirades tend to cast doubt on your claims as they get harsher and harsher. This forum is not a place for this kind of issue. We have in the past, had to ban certain subject matter, and have had to ban members because of the stromberg.gif storm they continuously stir up. We don't want the " drama " here. We are here for the love of our cars, and to help each other out. ONE post by you letting everyone know your experience would have been fine, and accepted graciously by most all here, but your CONTINUED posting of venom has gotten old IMHO, and I stated that.

I wished you the best of luck in this situation before, and I still do. I hate to see someone be taken advantage of by a body shop. It happens all too often, and makes all of us look bad. I don't want you banned, but at the same time I don't want to see this kind of shitstorm continue, and that seems to be all you are doing lately.

I'm done with this deadhorse.gif
Mark Henry
Obama is a Muslim extremest who wants you all to pay for illegal's healthcare.

That should do it! biggrin.gif

IBTL popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 12 2010, 10:32 AM) *

IIRC we spend so much time at BAR we almost bought BAR... biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 12 2010, 12:02 PM) *

IBTL popcorn[1].gif

Is there something wrong when your poop smells like dog poop ? NO I haven't been eating Alpo...........kibbles and bits is way better chowtime.gif

E.C.T.K. for life stromberg.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 12 2010, 01:12 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 12 2010, 10:32 AM) *

IIRC we spend so much time at BAR we almost bought BAR... biggrin.gif

Actually, we almost bought BAR and then ended up spending a lot of time at BAR anyways ...

biggrin.gif Andy
RJMII
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 12 2010, 02:02 PM) *

IBTL popcorn[1].gif

bs.gif
No he's not; and you're stupid for pointing it out. rolleyes.gif

av-943.gif That should help, too. lol-2.gif

popcorn[1].gif
OneOfThemNARPGuys
Obama is a fine Muslim, and a great example that you don't have to be a martyr to ruin America.

You are all racist infidels and I pray a thousand deaths upon all cockroaches in your house!

IPB Image

(will that help the soon closing this thread?)
zymurgist
Ever notice that beer makes your farts juicier?
KELTY360
Where is the Hot Muslim Chicks thread?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.