Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need the experts to identify some bolts/nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Hey fellas,
Been away from the 914 thing for some time and as I just finished school! (yayyyyy!) I'm looking to get this project going again.

*some might remember the Chalon from a long time ago, this is that car*

I didn't do the greatest job labeling bolts/nuts and stuff as I disassembled the engine for engine tin powder coat. Now I'm at the point where I need to put it all back together and don't remember where everything goes (rookie mistake?)

On page 22 of the Haynes Manual, number 25 and 26 are what I'm confused about. I am looking for whatever goes in the 4 holes that holds the first half of the fan housing to the block.

Also, what are the torque specs for all this stuff? The bolts that hold the actual fan on, what are the torque specs for those?

Last question smile.gif

What all should I be using "thread lock" on? or any other anti-sieze type stuff I should use anywhere?

Side Note:
When I got the car, it didnt have all the cooling flaps and linkage installed on it. It seemed to run fine without out. Is it absolutely necessary to put this on, or can I continue the re-assembly without it? (i'll have to source all of it if it's needed... fun)

Thanks guys!
type47
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 20 2010, 10:44 AM) *

On page 22 of the Haynes Manual, number 25 and 26 are what I'm confused about. I am looking for whatever goes in the 4 holes that holds the first half of the fan housing to the block.

What all should I be using "thread lock" on? or any other anti-sieze type stuff I should use anywhere?

When I got the car, it didnt have all the cooling flaps and linkage installed on it. It seemed to run fine without out. Is it absolutely necessary to put this on,

There are 4 studs, 8mm, in the front of the case that the half of the fan housing is held on. #'s 25 snd 26 in the Haynes diagram are a spring washer and an 8mm nut.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
At least these are not necessary to use thread lock on. Others, I don't know.

If it were me, I'd install cooling flaps and all necessary related parts.
stateofidleness
great pics!

the cooling stuff, is it "unobtainium" or something someone would have lying around? I don't have ANY of it.
Spoke
You should have the cooling flaps especially for the oil cooler. Someone should have them. Try bdstone. He always seems to have what I need.
buhs914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 20 2010, 01:33 PM) *

You should have the cooling flaps especially for the oil cooler. Someone should have them. Try bdstone. He always seems to have what I need.

agree.gif
stateofidleness
dumb question, but 8mm, is that the width of the bolt sticking out of the block or the interior diameter of the nut i need?

I found a nut that my 8mm socket fit around, but it was WAY too small to fit that bolt sticking out.
markb
We've got a box of them at GPR. I know I'd love to get rid of 1...or 10. Just call. smile.gif
type47
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 20 2010, 01:54 PM) *

... but 8mm, is that the width of the bolt sticking out of the block or the interior diameter of the nut i need?

size of the stud; takes a 13mm socket/wrench
Spoke
Sorry, the dreaded double post...
stateofidleness
well after digging through all my bags of nuts and bolts, i only found one... so off to Lowe's tomorrow.

any other sizes i should grab handfuls of while im there?
type47
Always nice to have a supply of 6, 8 and a few 10mm washers and nuts.
stateofidleness
*bump*
What's the screw size for the ones around the perimeter of the fan housing that connects the two halves? How many should there be in total?

You'd think the manual would tell me this...

also, the "cheesehead" screws for the tin, what size are those and how many should i get?
70_914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 20 2010, 01:15 PM) *

great pics!

the cooling stuff, is it "unobtainium" or something someone would have lying around? I don't have ANY of it.

I have extras of everything cooling related. I am in Washington, though. Let me know if you can't find anything closer. I would take $30 for the flaps, bushings, thermostat + shipping.

Kevin
stateofidleness
ah cool!
Do you have like a "complete kit" with everything I would need? If you do, shoot me a price shipped (78266 San antonio, TX.) and I'll paypal you (or however you prefer payment)
type47
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 26 2010, 10:10 AM) *

What's the screw size for the ones around the perimeter of the fan housing that connects the two halves? How many should there be in total?

also, the "cheesehead" screws for the tin, what size are those and how many should i get?

6mm x about 10mm. You might consider socket head (allen head) for some of the tin; easier to install and remove. Cheesehead screws are all spade?/blade? whatever the straight, non-phillips is called and I always strip a few. I went to the PET to try to find the numbers and this is the best I could find:
for the engine tin:
33 6mm spring washers
12 6mm x 10mm pan-head
18 6mm x 12 mm pan-head
8 6mm x 15 mm pan head
70_914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 26 2010, 12:34 PM) *

ah cool!
Do you have like a "complete kit" with everything I would need? If you do, shoot me a price shipped (78266 San antonio, TX.) and I'll paypal you (or however you prefer payment)

Complete kit? You should buy new bolts for everything... mine are old, crusty and mismatched. I have the rod with the flaps, the bushings for the rod, the thermostat with the wire on it an the bracket. I'll package it up and get a shipping price for you.

Kevin
stateofidleness
i can do that!

so i've gotten the rear part of the housing in place, but i had smog stuff on it and it doesn't match the hayne's pictures. I have a lot more holes around the perimeter than the manual shows (because of the smog stuff) and I don't know which holes are the ones I need to use to hold the housing halves together.

anyone have any pics of these? i can't find any on the board
type47
I looked in the workshop manual for the fan housing hardware and found:
1 6mm x 30mm cheesehead
3 8mm x 30mm hex head
3 8mm spring washers
7 6mm x 20 mm cheesehead
8 6mm spring washers

not guaranteeing completely accurate so you might get some spares. I'll try to figure out the hardware from the PET.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 28 2010, 07:28 AM) *

I looked in the workshop manual for the fan housing hardware and found:
1 6mm x 30mm cheesehead
3 8mm x 30mm hex head
3 8mm spring washers
7 6mm x 20 mm cheesehead
8 6mm spring washers

not guaranteeing completely accurate so you might get some spares. I'll try to figure out the hardware from the PET.

I gave him that same info last night at the other site, but now I can't find the thread. confused24.gif av-943.gif
stateofidleness
problem i have is the pictures aren't accurate enough to know which hole gets which size. from what I can see on the Hayne's and PET, where they say to put a 8mmx30, there is NO way that will fit in the corresponding hole on my housing.

i will try to take a good shot of the housing later today and post it showing the holes i have
type47
Trial and error fitting?
stateofidleness
well i don't have the necessary stuff to test with smile.gif

i bought some based off the PET, but they don't fit, so i'll have to make another trip to hw store, but was hoping to have an accurate "shopping list" this time
type47
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 28 2010, 09:52 AM) *

... but they don't fit, ...

too long? too short? big? small? They're 6mm and 8mm. Pitch on 6mm is 1.0, pitch on 8mm may be 1.0 or 1.25. Sears has a nice pitch gauge for about $7 is the only test equipment applicable.
stateofidleness
the only one that it shows on the top part is too wide (says 8mm, but won't fit in the hole, 6mm is too skinny for rear half of housing, but appears to thread into the other half of housing)

the one on the right that says 8mmx30 is too wide as well and appears that it would be too long as well.

someone have a picture of their fan housing with the bolts "highlighted"?
stateofidleness
so the one on the right I got in, 8mm x 30 fit fine. The one on top middle I used a 6mm that fit fine, but now I can't find the last holes that should be bolted.

I show two smaller ones underneath the fan, and one off to the left of the housing by the oil cooler, which I fitted an 8mm to.

im good on the necessary hardware now, just wondering which holes NEED to be bolted so I don't miss any.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.