Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Just got another car: 1966 Mercedes 200
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bfrymire
Hey, at least it is German!

Real nice shape, but need some TLC. (Overheats and brakes need to be gone through. Shouldn't be too bad.)

Overall, the body is straight, no rust, interior is in incredible shape, and has all manuals, tools, etc.

Anyone know of any good forums for this car? I have been on the MBCA.org site, and there is not a whole lot of activity.

Picture:
Sleepin
Like button! That is nice!
bfrymire
Thanks! I am going to take some more pictures later.

I can't believe the seats in this car. Very, very comfortable, and no wear! The car has 110k miles on it.

It also has AC, which I am not sure if that is common or not.

I think it is going to clean up nicely. smile.gif

-- brett

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jun 20 2010, 02:30 PM) *

Like button! That is nice!

scotty b
Always liked tat body. Slam it and put a 440 in it aktion035.gif
bfrymire
My car-buddy who helped me tow it home, was debating with me what to do with the car:

1. 190E motor with a turbo.
2. C230 16V 2.3l motor with maybe a turbo.
3. Original 2.0l converted to EFI with a turbo.
4. Keep it all original with some tasteful upgrades.

(I am partial to #3.)

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 20 2010, 03:24 PM) *

Always liked tat body. Slam it and put a 440 in it aktion035.gif

avidfanjpl
I had a 67 in cream with light brown interior, it was a 230. Had 4 speed ALPINE gearing because it came from Switzerland.

I should have kept it. Had an OHC 6 in it, but it would not go above 65 for anything due to the gearing.

Sold it in NJ in 78.

John
bfrymire
This particular car has been in our family since new. (Aunt owned it first, then my cousin and now me.) I remember driving this car as a teenager and loved it. When my cousin told me she didn't want it anymore....

I am really looking forward to bring this car back to life.

I believe the 230 was the same body (W110) but the engine was squeezed in by relocating the radiator. The 230 was suppose to be more enjoyable to drive.

-- brett

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jun 20 2010, 04:01 PM) *

I had a 67 in cream with light brown interior, it was a 230. Had 4 speed ALPINE gearing because it came from Switzerland.

I should have kept it. Had an OHC 6 in it, but it would not go above 65 for anything due to the gearing.

Sold it in NJ in 78.

John

underthetire
Personally, i'd get it as original as you could make it. Looks to be in great shape, and being a family car I wouldn't cut it up at all. Maybe throw some white walls on it and cruse. You got the 914 to play with.
bfrymire
Yep. There is NO way I am going to cut this body or hack it in anyway. I do like the idea of EFI. That is why I was leaning toward option #3.

For this summer, it's going to be completely stock. I will drive and sort the car first, then see where it goes from there. I am really amazed at the parts availability for this car! I can get EBC brake pads for it. So, it's going to look as stock as possible.

And yep, I have two 914s to play with. smile.gif

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 20 2010, 04:48 PM) *

Personally, i'd get it as original as you could make it. Looks to be in great shape, and being a family car I wouldn't cut it up at all. Maybe throw some white walls on it and cruse. You got the 914 to play with.
bfrymire
And some more pictures.

Can anyone identify the emblems on the grill?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
BUMP! I want to know what the badging w/ the bird on it is! My friend bought a BMW with the same badge!
JmuRiz
Great looking car, it's the car that bridges the ponton and finny bodies.

I'm still trying to sell my car, but it doesn't have the style of that older one.
Daiberl
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 22 2010, 07:40 AM) *

BUMP! I want to know what the badging w/ the bird on it is! My friend bought a BMW with the same badge!

The emblem with the bird is from ADAC, Allgemeiner Deutscher Auto Club, comparable to AAA here in the US, it's the German Car Club.

Great looking car!!
turboman808
That dash is crazy.

I'm on the hunt for a early 80s XJ6 right now. Hope I am making a post just like this very soon.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Jun 22 2010, 08:31 AM) *
The emblem with the bird is from ADAC, Allgemeiner Deutscher Auto Club, comparable to AAA here in the US, it's the German Car Club.

Great looking car!!

agree.gif

Post a closeup of the yellow badge ...
idea.gif Andy
bfrymire
Thanks. I have some work to do, but plan on driving the tires off of it. smile.gif

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 22 2010, 07:48 AM) *

Great looking car, it's the car that bridges the ponton and finny bodies.

I'm still trying to sell my car, but it doesn't have the style of that older one.

bfrymire
Thanks! Great info. I knew someone here would know.

piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 22 2010, 07:40 AM) *

Great looking car!!

bfrymire
I think it's pretty cool. the speedo rises vertically!

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 22 2010, 09:13 AM) *

That dash is crazy.

I'm on the hunt for a early 80s XJ6 right now. Hope I am making a post just like this very soon.

bfrymire
Andy,

Closeup of the yellow badge...

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 22 2010, 10:29 AM) *

Great looking car!!

agree.gif

Post a closeup of the yellow badge ...
idea.gif Andy

Jeffs9146
I met my ex-wife when I bought her 1966 230s!

I fixed the problems it had and sold it to to someone who took it to Japan!

I was going to lower it and put big tires on it but this guy paid me $7000!! piratenanner.gif

PS: it was her great grandmothers car!
SirAndy
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Jun 22 2010, 10:24 PM) *

That's the coat of arms of the city of Stuttgart ...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart

bye1.gif Andy
KaptKaos
Heckflosse!

http://www.heckflosse.nl/

Jeffs9146
I have always wondered if there was a market for these! Do people collect them?

I have had this one for over 28 years!
bfrymire
Thanks Andy!

When I get this car running well, I will have to bring it one of the 914 breakfasts...

And as far as the link... ummm.... Never did learn to read german... smile.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 22 2010, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Jun 22 2010, 10:24 PM) *

That's the coat of arms of the city of Stuttgart ...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart

bye1.gif Andy

Jeffs9146
Never did learn to read german...

Look down to the left on the link page and click on english!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.