Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Main Chassis Harness ID guide
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Lets figure out what the differences are between the various 914/4 chassis harnesses. If you know of other facts or changes, please post them here!

Below is my current matrix of the known changes - details to be added/changed to this matrix in this first post as they become known.

Ain’t it the truth, the more we find out the less we know? I found 2 dozen listings in PET for accessory harnesses to the chassis harness, with part numbers and model-year applicability.

I also noticed one of these accessory harnesses for the dash instrument lights on a 1972 chassis harness I was loking at this weekend, never saw that before. Have you noticed any of these plug-in harnesses on your car? Some are obvious like the wiper delay is a discrete harness. Other like a special harness for the double horns on early and late cars…did you know that?

Some of the other things learned:

*Circuits for foglights were not integral with the chassis harness until 1973, previously the foglights were an optional separate harness.

*Circuits for double horns were only integral with the chassis harness from 1972-74, earlier and later they were an optional separate harness

*Wiper delay accessory harnesses are only applicable to 1972-76 cars. Early cars are SOL.

*Circuits for the EGR/CAT dash lights/sensors are in a separate harness for the 1975-76 cars.

See the chart below for more.
underthetire
Cool, you forgot the X's for engine bay fuel pump though.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 20 2010, 04:55 PM) *

Cool, you forgot the X's for engine bay fuel pump though.

biggrin.gif Fixed.
Mike Bellis
That's awesome Jeff! When I spliced together the harnesses for the limo there were some differences found. But I'm not sure what years the harnesses were. I was splicing in the middle of the car and there was a difference in the interior light wires. I also noticed the earlyer harness "stripes" spiral down the wire and the later stripe goes paralelle with the wire. There are more wire gauge differences in the center harness. I did not log the differences but I can tell you that both early and late have larger wires for different circuits. Some early wire were larger while the later were smaller and some different late wires were larger while the early ones were smaller.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 20 2010, 04:51 PM) *

If you know of other facts or changes, please post them here!

My '70 914-4 did not have any wiring for the foglights in the original chassis harness.

I'm not sure how/if that fits in here ...
idea.gif Andy
914Sixer
70-71 -6 harnesses have the heated rear window built into them.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 20 2010, 09:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 20 2010, 04:51 PM) *

If you know of other facts or changes, please post them here!

My '70 914-4 did not have any wiring for the foglights in the original chassis harness.

I'm not sure how/if that fits in here ...
idea.gif Andy

See my updated first post Andy...foglights were optional and not included in the chassis harness in the early cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.