Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can early rotor and caliper be installed on late strut ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
can early rotor and caliper be installed on late strut ??

i have this on the drivers side of my 1972 914 ??

jim
underthetire
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 21 2010, 01:17 PM) *

can early rotor and caliper be installed on late strut ??

i have this on my car i think?

jim

Think the caliper spacing is different. 3 on one, 3.5 on the other. Others will know for sure.
Cap'n Krusty
Essentially, no. And it's NOT the mounting bolt spacing. The offset is different for the caliper mounting ears, and they won't center on the disc. I have heard rumor that there "may" be an interim strut in production in late '72, but I've never seen one.

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
I tend to think they "might" but I've never tried it and, I've been told no.

The offset on the calipers is quite a bit different. That is made up on the rotor side. SO... I "THINK" if you move rotors and calipers you "MAY" be safe.

I've also heard of the interum strut but, never seen any proof either.

I have no more 914 struts laying around, early or late, so I cannot give a definative answer but, I'd like to see EARLY ROTORS and EARLY CALIPERS on a LATE STRUT to see what happens.

I could be very wrong... all signs point to that.
jimkelly
instead of the unicorn strut theory - i am begining to think maybe eric is on to something - that very possibly - an early caliper and rotor can be fitted to a late strut.

before i order a set of early calipers from eric - i want to get one or both my struts replaced with a matching set of early struts - since i recently installed new rotors and bearings.

now i want to do ball joints and install rebuilt calipers as my braking is still sub-par.

i can squeal my tires under emergency braking at 60 mph but at 30 mph, if i just mildly hit the brake peddle, stoping power feels weak.

jim
underthetire
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 21 2010, 02:37 PM) *

instead of the unicorn strut theory - i am begining to think maybe eric is on to something - that very possibly - an early caliper and rotor can be fitted to a late strut.

before i order a set of early calipers from eric - i want to get one or both my struts replaced with a matching set of early struts - since i recently installed new rotors and bearings.

now i want to do ball joints and install rebuilt calipers as my braking is still sub-par.

i can squeal my tires under emergency braking at 60 mph but at 30 mph, if i just mildly hit the brake peddle, stoping power feels weak.

jim

I just did re-build my front calipers and replaced 35 year old hoses this weekend. I will never again complain about 914 brakes again. Now to do the rears.
jimkelly
i replaced my rubber lines recently.

** if it is determined that a late strut will work with an early rotor/caliper combination, i will just need one late pass side strut.

jim
type47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 22 2010, 03:38 AM) *

... i will just need one late pass side strut.

aren't there some struts at Root's shop?
jimkelly
maybe under the shed in his back yard - aka: micro junk yard : )

but i am hoping for a definitive answer to this age old question : ))

--

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 22 2010, 04:47 AM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 22 2010, 03:38 AM) *

... i will just need one late pass side strut.

aren't there some struts at Root's shop?

Joe Ricard
Hmm, I just always swapped the whole thing.

But yes the only difference is 1/8" spacing difference caliper to rotor centering. I think it is add a washer going early caliper to late strut.

320I caliper to late strut is machine off 1/8"

So I might have this backwards.
jimkelly
anyone have a definitve answer. seems joe might be about right as 1/8 inch is not so obvious to the eye. jim
Eric_Shea
Back in the last thread that addressed this Rich Towle said he would check. yawn.gif

Get on it Rich! biggrin.gif
jimkelly
new vantage point..

based on this pic - if it is off by 1/8 inch - it is not correctable by using washers.
914rat
Jim, I have some core struts of both type and I'm just across the bay in Md.
Eric_Shea
Offset on the calipers is much greater than 1/8th"
r_towle
Late strut, early calipers/rotors WONT fit.
Early strut, toss it...it has the crappy ball joint anyways.

I never bothered to try later rotors/calipers on an early strut....I replaced the early strut and went the other way.

I will be in the shop today, Eric....tell me what measurements we need, I will take a look and see what I have left.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.