Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Temp Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I had a can of Rust Oleum Flat Black on the shelf. Thinking it's a good color to cover the original muffler, I Painted. Looks good. About midnight it hit''s me...High Temp??? huh.gif

The can label shows it ok up to 200degrees. So...how hot does the muffler get?
If it's not going to work, can I paint a high temp paint on top, or do I need to strip this off? chair.gif

underthetire
It will be gone the first run. Even the high temp stuff comes off after a while usually. You need to get all that off before you put high temp on it, otherwise it will burn the paint under it and just start flaking off.
Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 21 2010, 02:58 PM) *

It will be gone the first run. Even the high temp stuff comes off after a while usually. You need to get all that off before you put high temp on it, otherwise it will burn the paint under it and just start flaking off.

agree.gif .... but you'll probably see a mess of smoke as it burns off, esp. with Rustoleum's additives! barf.gif

Get all the Rustoleum & now crappy original paint off, then get some VHT or similar high temp paint - IIRC you need 1400 degee stuff on them - both primer & paint. As with headers/HE's etc. good prep & good priming is as important as proper hi-temp paint.

BTW - stock color was a flat or satin grey, although many prefer black.

VHT is available at most FLAPS, but here's a link for their colors & primers:
http://www.vhtpaint.com/
http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html

Here's the 356 resto supplier with the same Porsche exhaust system grey which those guys & many of the CW's here use:
http://www.nlaparts.com/store/exhaust-grey-paint-p-653.html

popcorn[1].gif
EdwardBlume
I used BBQ paint which came out flat black. I also polished the tip which came out real nice....

We'll see how it holds up but the can says 1400 deg...
Socalandy
VHT works great and after six months and more than 2K of driving its still like the day I painted it.

bandjoey
Ok Thanks. I'll slime it tomorrow with paint stripper.
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 21 2010, 03:49 PM) *

I used BBQ paint which came out flat black. I also polished the tip which came out real nice....

Yeah, but how do the weiners & patties turn out Rob?? shades.gif
jsharp.gif

... & don't spend too much time polishing the tip! ... you kill me!!!! lol-2.gif
gothspeed
No need for extra chemicals with the paint stripper. If you don't mind the extra remove/install, the hot exhaust will 'strip it for you smile.gif!
Ericv1

Seymour makes a high temp paint called "Cast Blast". It's a flat grey and is used on heads for V8's. I liked the color and used it on a friends 911 headers and it came out great and withstood the heat after many miles of use.
fat73
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 21 2010, 02:49 PM) *

We'll see how it holds up but the can says 1400 deg...

BBQ Grill paint works better than any automotive hi temp paint I've ever used.
Ed
bandjoey
VHT header paint is rated on the can from 1300 - 2000 degrees, Guess that will cover it ok and it comes in ORANGE. cheer.gif The FLAPS aircraft paint stripper cut the old paint off in no time. Messy but it's easier than sanding and not as smelly as burn off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.