Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC..Oil light on a chevy van ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nomore9one4
My oil light(with a little wrench next to it) on my chevy van comes on at start up and goes out after about minute...Before I spend money I do not have at the present time what could it be? Have about 90,000 on the odometer and its an "03. It runs well and does not make any unusual noise. I thought it just needed an oil change but that did not help. Anyone? Thanks in advance
drive-ability
It's likely part of the oil life management system, You have to reset the system after you change the oil.... I don't know how your systems set up but Google it.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 22 2010, 05:56 AM) *

It's likely part of the oil life management system, You have to reset the system after you change the oil.... I don't know how your systems set up but Google it.

Thank you very much. You probably saved me a wasted trip to the mechanic and a ridiculous diagnostic fee. Thank you very much smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Take the van to any AutoZone and have them pull the codes. It is free, and only takes a minute. This is your oil system, I would not want to just guess.

Zach
underthetire
Don't think its actually a code, by friends 04 is doing the same thing. My neighbor, a 30 year chevy dealer mechanic is going to look at it, but he thinks it's just a slow sensor for some cam or something like that. He has seen it before. I'll keep you posted if you want.
kerensky
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 22 2010, 06:55 AM) *

Don't think its actually a code, by friends 04 is doing the same thing. My neighbor, a 30 year chevy dealer mechanic is going to look at it, but he thinks it's just a slow sensor for some cam or something like that. He has seen it before. I'll keep you posted if you want.

Might be worthwhile to put an oil pressure gauge in place of that sensor and run it a bit just to be sure you're not seeing low pressure at the valvetrain due to wear or something. Like as not it's just a bad sensor, but as was already said, with oil you want to be *sure*.
andys
Yeah, might check it with an oil pressure gauge as suggested. The oil light on for "about a minute" is far too long a time. 90K miles is not a lot for a well cared for motor. Might check the oil filter; perhaps the anti-drain back valve is faulty alllowing oil to drain from the system. You should be able to verify that by re-starting the motor within one or two seconds; if the light goes out immediately it may be the filter. Try again after waiting a few hours; if the light remains on for a bit that may be the clue. I'm assuming there are no oil leaks anywhere. The oil pressure sender on the LSx series GEN III V8 motors is on top of the block just behind the valley cover. If I remember correctly, the oil pressure light is not driven by the PCM so it won't throw a code.

Andys
70_914
QUOTE(faux916 @ Jun 22 2010, 05:42 AM) *

My oil light(with a little wrench next to it) on my chevy van comes on at start up and goes out after about minute...Before I spend money I do not have at the present time what could it be? Have about 90,000 on the odometer and its an "03. It runs well and does not make any unusual noise. I thought it just needed an oil change but that did not help. Anyone? Thanks in advance

Turn the key on, push the gas pedal 3 times. That will reset your oil change light, if that is what is coming on.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jun 22 2010, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(faux916 @ Jun 22 2010, 05:42 AM) *

Turn the key on, push the gas pedal 3 times. That will reset your oil change light, if that is what is coming on.

smilie_pokal.gif that fixed it! Light is out and I am a happy man. Thank you very much. P/S I already have a oil pressure gauge and all is good. Just wanted to make sure there was not anything over looked. Thanks again to ALL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.