Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: for all the guys thinking of a cool V8 project check this engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
byndbad914
I have mentioned this combo on and off to a couple of people but I had lost the link to the build... recently ran across it and found out why I lost the link (once it went into a magazine I suspect the build thread needed removed).

http://www.camaroperformers.com/camaro-tec...gine/index.html

Such a sweet little combo, pump gas, even the cheaper build with stock heads made great power. Me thinks a perfect, light-weight all alum ~320ci LS Chevy build for a teener. Keep the 5.3L dish pistons instead of the 4.8L flattops too and the power would come down slightly but ensure running on any pump fuel.

Nice read if considering a V8 project street car.
andys
Glad you're warming-up to the LSx motors!

Though a little scant on details, the article does demonstrate the potential of these motors, though one might save a lot of headaches and simply get an L33 all aluminum truck motor which already has the LS6 heads and intake, flat top pistons, and go from there (these are relatively cheap at the truck JY's). Luckily the GEN III motors have lots of interchangeability oppotunities which makes for some interesting combinations. You could for example use the 4.8L crank and rods with an LS1 block and get a 312cu. in. short stroke motor, or a 6.0L block with the same 4.8L crank and rods and get 326 cu. in. All the deck heights work out so that you can match the right pistons, etc.

Good stuff.........

Andys
byndbad914
actually I have been a fan of the LS stuff for quite awhile - when I built my 353 destroked 400 it was right around the time the LS2s had really started into production so they were finally getting some decent sizes, then the 427 re-sleeves etc. If I had done the engine in my car just 5yrs later it would have been a bored/stroked LS2 combo.

I agree about the short stroke options, etc. Figured I would throw this article out since it is an easy combo that is documented with dyno #s and let it open whatever discussions come about. Just so simple to make a combo that fits any need with these updated Fords happy11.gif

If anything, for a 914, just a stock 5.3L with some porting and a small cam upgrade would be dirt cheap and make great power/mileage for a 2200lb V8 car.
GeorgeRud
With all the LS engine information and lightweight parts, it seems like the only way to go these days.

GM has really done a great job in their crate engine program as well. I only wish Porsche offered somthing like that. As complex (and leaky) as 911 engines can be, a factory assembled engine would be a nice choice. Then again, I'm one that believes that there have been no good water-cooled flat -6 Porsche engines (with the notable exception of the 996 Turbo). They all have been designed for less expense in manufacturing rather than following the engineering principles of all the early Porsche engines.

Either way, enjoy the LS engine, it should be a rocket ship when it's together.
turboman808
Yep the LS motors are just badass. Strong, light weight, produce tons of power and they are cheap.

You want a 500hp porsche motor? Gonna be 3 times the price.
ChrisFoley
I sure wish Bill B. had been a little more conservative in his LS engine build for the white car. What a mess he created by installing Trick Flow heads with huge valves and ports, a cam that had too much lift and duration for the heads, a rocker setup that couldn't handle the resulting valve spring forces, etc.

550 hp sounds exciting and all, but doesn't make much sense when parts are breaking regularly, the engine stalls whenever the cooling fans come on, the clutch is so heavy it nearly takes 2 legs to depress the pedal, and so forth.

Add to that the need to replace a damaged and leaking Howe Custom ($$$) radiator that was fixed with bubble gum (sort of).
The new owner is going through convulsions from the costs associated with repairing and re-doing everything sensibly.
byndbad914
bummer Chris. Not familiar enough with Bill's to make any comments tho' I certainly know the car, but can say that if everything is kept within reason, 450-500HP is obtainable with a very street-able LS combo.

My 525HP 353 SBC has a lot going on to guarantee that power is made without any worry regarding longevity, but I have shaft mount rockers, really good heads, etc etc, so yeah, going over 500HP can come with a bigger price tag, as your customer is finding out, but keeping an LS combo simple like the one in the article should provide plenty of longevity and great street power, even street with fun track day power.

Again, I would stay with the dish piston, take a slight power hit and ensure it will run on any fuel.
andys
I'm not sure how or why the white car got to that point, but the LSx series engines have evolved to where you can buy reliable crate motors with that kind of horsepower these days. An LS3 (right Tim?) is 430HP all day long and purrs like a kitten, or one can buy the 505HP LS7 right out of the GM catalog. Want more? The LS9 is 6 hundred and 30 sumthin HP. I'd say GM's got it pretty well covered. OTOH, 450-500 reliable HP is very doable if you want to build one yourself (correctly that is).

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.