Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plaid interior
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
I Got to thinking... my seat inserts are ok, but the pass side has a small cig burn (PO inflicted), and the driver side has a light stain.

PLUS... I hate the way the brown clashes the green, but doing an entire brown to black swap is too expensive.

I LOVE plaid interiors.... A LOT. I'm thinking if I choose a plaid that "somewhat" matches the exterior color, it will balance everything out, and look SWEET!!

I did a seach on plaid interiors on this site... but didn't find what I was looking for.

Questions:
1. Is there any guidance on this? Can I buy inserts for the seats, or should I just head to the apolsterer and see what fabrics he has?

2. How much should I expect to PAY an apolsterer to do 2 seat inserts??

3. Any suggestions on a reliable person around the STL area that can do it?

Thanks!! beerchug.gif

Matt
ninefourteener
Thought I'd post a couple of really cool pics I found on this site.. old threads...

Like too see more if anyone has them!!
ninefourteener
another
ninefourteener
and another
echocanyons
plaid is cool...
rick 918-S
I love plaid!
Try these guys. They had this fabric It's called pasha. The guys at South Bound are hard to reach by phone but they know fabric. They advertise in Pano.

South Bound
Little Dean Yard
Hampshire, 5020

+44 (0) 1264 810080

BTW: I spoke with my upholstery guy yesterday. He is starting my seats next week! (freebeee!)
ninefourteener
Pretty cool..... I kinda had my heart set on plaid though.

I just got off the phone with a local guy that said he's done a 914... been a long time... but he remembers the cars.... I'm actually headed down there right now as we speak.

Over the phone.. He quoted me somewhere between $300-$400.... Does htat sound reasonable for the total cost to reapolster the seats? Thats supplies, labor, and everything. Should I tell this guy to get bent.. or should I let him do it??

I'll come back in an hour or 2 and give a firm price and more details...

Matt
STL914
Matt,

I have a complete black interior in my garage. We can discuss this on Saturday if you are interested in a black interior for your car. Perhaps a swap.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(STL914 @ Apr 7 2004, 08:50 AM)
Matt,

I have a complete black interior in my garage. We can discuss this on Saturday if you are interested in a black interior for your car. Perhaps a swap.

Hmmmmmm...

Yea.. actually that sounds pretty good. I thought about posting an ad for a swap.... but I figured someone would be hard to find that was willing... much less someone that was close by.

I stand corrected...... Yea.. we'll definately talk beerchug.gif
ninefourteener
Oh yea...... and I hit the place downtown at lunch. He had NOTHING like that material I want... this guy was trying to sell me some old plaid crap originally meant for a 1970-something Ford Pinto.

Then..... AFTER I asked him how much it would be if I found the material on my own....... he still said $300-$400 bucks.

He couldn't even give me an exact estimate. that kinda pisses me off... then the price was the same, even if I get the material.

Guess I answered my own question..... He can get bent
dinomium
I have four torn up seats in my garage, I just might have to try some funky seat inserts!
Like I dont have enuff on my 914 plate! lol2.gif
tat2dphreak
most upholstery places won't look at a car for less than 300... rip off in my opinion...

I guess I should have hung out with my mom and learned to sew instead of hanging out with dad to work on cars and fishing wink.gif
ninefourteener
Well.. I'm pretty picky about what I want. I came into the guy with a color picture of the second interior pic I posted (the first red car).

Thars what I want..... but in a green similar to the color of my car, black, and maybe a little bit of white.

Even if I do manage to find a black interior.. I still may look into this in the future.. I guess I just feel likes it makes this car even more definative than it already is beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
That's my red 75 with the gray plaid. Had them done locally. $300 even. everything was redone. He even did the french seam on the bolsters.
TheCabinetmaker
Oh yeah, It came with plaid, and I wanted to keep it that way.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 7 2004, 10:39 AM)
That's my red 75 with the gray plaid. Had them done locally. $300 even. everything was redone. He even did the french seam on the bolsters.

I gotta tell you.... thats the pic I printed out to use an example.. SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!

$300 huh?? Figures... another Belleville redneck trying to rip me off.

So any more pics of the whole car?? It looks really clean. Lets see!!
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, here's the whole thing.
TheCabinetmaker
Here it is with on rails car.
JeffBowlsby
Tom Truedells beauty:
JeffBowlsby
Others:
JeffBowlsby
rtgh
JeffBowlsby
rsth
JeffBowlsby
dytjh
JeffBowlsby
dhgj
JeffBowlsby
ukj
TheCabinetmaker
Ouch. I had that wallpaper in my bath room in the 70's. Just couldn't go in there drunk without having to close my eyes laugh.gif
ninefourteener
Wow..... that last one was WILD!! wacko.gif

I'd forgotten... my last teener had a peculiar interior as well.... Wish I still had it (for other reasons)
MarkV
Maybe this will help:
ninefourteener
Yea.. I definately need some of that "green plaid".

Anyone know where I can buy it??
smg914
Earlier this year I visited Automobile Atlanta and George allowed me to go up in the attic storage area to search for some NOS brown carpet. While I was up in the attic, I saw a bunch of NOS plaid seat cushions in many different colors still wrapped in the plastic from the factory. I don't know the price.
krk
Bowlsby!

You've been holding out.

The plaid pic's rock. For someone not-quite-ready-for-paisley, they are perfectly centered in the era! Thx for posting them. mueba.gif

I swear, the paisley interior makes me grin. (don't tell brad, but the reason the seats in the /73 were so nice was 'cause after the recover, the lived under fake cow seat covers smile.gif ) Yes, these cars need a bit of late 60s/early 70s outrageousness to them smile.gif

regards from (locked in 1960) kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.