Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I don't want to stir up the oil debate but....

The only Royal Purple I found at FLAPS is 5W 30.. is this OK to use on a 2056 FI?

And how many quarts go in? With a non started motor, should I pour some in the oil filter too?
yeahmag
Why not just order some Brad Penn Break-In Oil and know it's right? I had problems priming mine with oil in the filter and a fresh motor. The latest information suggests *no* oil in the filter actually helps prime and builds pressure faster.

Not sure how far you are from Pasadena, but I do have about 6 quarts of BP 30w Break-In oil...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 23 2010, 08:57 AM) *

Why not just order some Brad Penn Break-In Oil and know it's right? I had problems priming mine with oil in the filter and a fresh motor. The latest information suggests *no* oil in the filter actually helps prime and builds pressure faster.

Not sure how far you are from Pasadena, but I do have about 6 quarts of BP 30w Break-In oil...

Thanks. The motor is already broke in with about 2K miles. It was running RP so I figured I'd keep the same program. The only issue is the weight...
yeahmag
Ah... That's way too light. 20w-50 is what you want.
Joe Ricard
15W-40 is acceptable too.
Guess you are going to have to go on line. Try Summit or Jegs

mudfoot76
Google searches can be your friend too beerchug.gif

In the past I've ordered cases of the stuff from Tangerine Racing and had great success.
70_914
I buy my Royal Purple at O'Reilly Auto Parts (used to be Schucks). They have it right on the shelf.
Cap'n Krusty
20w 50 conventional, 15w40 or 15w50 in synthetic. NEVER anything lighter unless you live where it's gonna be REAL cold while you're operating your 914.

The Cap'n
underthetire
Napa in brentwood has 15/40. Just did the boat with it.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 23 2010, 10:43 AM) *

20w 50 conventional, 15w40 or 15w50 in synthetic. NEVER anything lighter unless you live where it's gonna be REAL cold while you're operating your 914.

The Cap'n

How about Royal Purple 20W50? Too thick?
underthetire
Rob, you can be in Concord in less than 20 minutes from your house, there is a brad penn dealer there, you know mr. Raby recommends demands it.
underthetire
Oh hell, it's even closer
1. Karmont Development
1158 Lawrence Road
Danville, CA 94506
USA
Monte Berney
(925) 766-4680
Dealer
ME733
........20-50...VALVOLINE...
Root_Werks
PNW climate likes the 15-40 Delo 400. Good stuff.
yeahmag
I love Delo 400, but it's not what it use to be. The ZDDP in it is way down from what it was a few years ago. The only thing going in my motor is Brad Penn. There are others out there that are claiming high levels of ZDDP, but I haven't had the time to investigate.
yeahmag
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 24 2010, 02:06 PM) *

Not at all. I just worry about it's ZDDP levels. Played on Bob Is The Oil Guy lately?

-Aaron
realred914

The Cap'n

I run 20W-50 Brad Penn and it is fine for me. local weather is nearly teh same as yours, San fransico bay area

Since your in Pleasanton, be sure to aviod Gerald McCarthy (aka Jerry McCarthy) he is running a Porsche shop in pleasanton, he is a total rip off stole from me, smashed my car and wont pay, and got all drugged out and cut up my 356 doing thousands in damages. all told he ripped me off for nearly $10,000 in money he was paid and damages to my 914 and 356.

he is a deaf man(can hear with a hearing aid, but uses a translator on the telephone) ), mid fifties in age, and claims his daddy was some famous 356 engine builder back 30 years ago. he has a nice pretty photo album of his "work ' (actually fancy 356's are shown from his Daddies shop, not his)

at anyrate, avoid this u, he solicited work from me on the club site, he may try to foll others, dont be fooled as I was, avoid the deaf man if you love your car.

his latest tactic is to play deaf with me (ironic is it not? a deaf man pretending to not hear you.) to any request to contact me to try to get him to man up and pay for the damages. a real con artist. sucker I am, be forwarned. Jerry McCarthy will ruin your Porsche and take your money.
ME733
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:52 PM) *

........20-50...VALVOLINE...

realred914
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jun 24 2010, 06:08 PM) *

The Cap'n

I run 20W-50 Brad Penn and it is fine for me. local weather is nearly teh same as yours, San fransico bay area

Since your in Pleasanton, be sure to aviod Gerald McCarthy (aka Jerry McCarthy) he is running a Porsche shop in pleasanton, he is a total rip off stole from me, smashed my car and wont pay, and got all drugged out and cut up my 356 doing thousands in damages. all told he ripped me off for nearly $10,000 in money he was paid and damages to my 914 and 356.

he is a deaf man(can hear with a hearing aid, but uses a translator on the telephone) ), mid fifties in age, and claims his daddy was some famous 356 engine builder back 30 years ago. he has a nice pretty photo album of his "work ' (actually fancy 356's are shown from his Daddies shop, not his)

at anyrate, avoid this u, he solicited work from me on the club site, he may try to foll others, dont be fooled as I was, avoid the deaf man if you love your car.

his latest tactic is to play deaf with me (ironic is it not? a deaf man pretending to not hear you.) to any request to contact me to try to get him to man up and pay for the damages. a real con artist. sucker I am, be forwarned. Jerry McCarthy will ruin your Porsche and take your money.

Ps the difference at several temps between 30 and 50 oils is considerable when it comes to oil pressure. at 200F i find a jump from 40 psi to over 50 psi, at a given rpm,, that is a considerable pressure increase with weight of oil at same temperature. that extra 10 psi is good margine.

do you have a pressure and or temp gage for oil? that will be a good guide to what to use. with 30 oil at full warm up i could just barely maintain 10 psi per 1000 rpm (ie 30 psi at 3000 rpm, fully warmed up) this is at teh minimal level of pressure, I switch to 20w-50 oil and now see at same temp and rpm abnout 40 psi, a much better pressure for that rpm.

10 psi per 1000 rpm is really at teh extreme low end, if you can increase pressure with using up to 20w-50 oil, i would do that. make sure your temps are not too high also, these 914 can run too hot, specially if the cooling system is less than perfect (engine bay seals, clean cooling fins etc...)
if you drvie it hard in hot weather, you may see too high oil temps (ie excess of 220F or more) if this is the case, consider a cooling system revival or in many case, you will find an additional fan cooled oil cooler above the transmission might do the trick

good luck

EdwardBlume
20w 50 is in.... I'll have the oil pressure up and reading soon.... now its time to finish installing the gas tank after my GPR package comes.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.