Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sooo, i know this crazy guy. and he was wondering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I have seen a bunch of pictures on this forum with AC compressors mounted on the engine near the battery tray. i saw there was a belt comming out of the fan housing and turning the compressor. What if that compressor was actually a 225 amp alternator stirthepot.gif

i know this has never been done, and i keep telling this guy he is crazy, but HE keeps wondering if it would work confused24.gif

is it possible??

popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
pics i found..
RJMII
As long as he didn't have you wire it in backwards, it should work.* poke.gif stirthepot.gif

It should be a matter of building a mount, a block off plate for the old alternator, rewiring it, and reconfiguring the belts. You'd need to make sure that it was designed to rotate the correct direction for the placement of said alternator.

*in reference to the positive ground thread where the backwards red and black locations got confusing.
jabberwocky
Hmm. I don't see why not the motor would not care if it was driving an alternator or a compressor IMHO. What ya going to do install electric heat?
underthetire
My concern would be spinning it backwards, as the way the pump mounted. Would the fan for the alternator not cool ( blow through) it any more? Just a thought.
RJMII
Maybe an alternator from an Honda? Some of those engines spin backwards.
underthetire
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 23 2010, 02:18 PM) *

Maybe an alternator from an Honda? Some of those engines spin backwards.

Ya, but a 250 amp Honda alternator? Wait, now its a hybrid 914. Now I get it cheer.gif
underthetire
I got a Onan generator he could just swap out the whole engine/transaxle and run off two electric motors. It would be like driving an ocean liner!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.