Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shock stops--do I need them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

Hey,

Replacing the rear shocks and I notice that the ones that were there didn't have the rubber shock-stops. Do I need these or can I get away without them? AutoAtlanta wants like $78/piece for 'em. Ouch!
SirAndy
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Jun 23 2010, 07:22 PM) *
Replacing the rear shocks and I notice that the ones that were there didn't have the rubber shock-stops. Do I need these or can I get away without them? AutoAtlanta wants like $78/piece for 'em. Ouch!

I'm no 914 expert but without a stop, the shaft can bottom out inside the shock and destroy the internals.

Some shocks have a stop build in while others rely on a external stop.

You can measure effective shock travel and determine how much of the rubber you need. On my yellow Koni's, i cut the 3-piece rubber stop down to 1 piece. Under full compression, that gives me a good 1" of rubber before the shock bottoms out.

bye1.gif Andy
kpfoten
Thanks--I've got Boge shocks. I'm wondering if my FLAPS would have something generic?
biosurfer1
They do carry generic stops....whether they fit the 914 shocks, I can't say for sure but I know they carry them for at least some applications.
PRS914-6
Try Ground Control. The last time I was there they had boxes of them. They don't have to fit perfect...As Andy said, I would not be comfortable letting a shock bottom out.

Ground Control
dr914@autoatlanta.com

Hey,

what are those people thinking??? You need them only with single action oil shocks. They bottom out and the stop catches them. They are factory stops and very heavy duty as opposed the the four buck each front 924 944 stops
If you have dual action gas shocks you do not need them at all.
kpfoten

Thanks--are newer Boge shocks oil or d/a gas?
detoxcowboy
Just get a used set, alot of the 914 part cars guys will have them because no one buys them usually..
DBCooper
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 24 2010, 05:42 AM) *

Hey,

what are those people thinking??? You need them only with single action oil shocks. They bottom out and the stop catches them. They are factory stops and very heavy duty as opposed the the four buck each front 924 944 stops
If you have dual action gas shocks you do not need them at all.

Seventy-Eight Dollars!!!!? What in the hell are they made of?
McMark
Donkey meat.
McMark
lol-2.gif
DBCooper
Can't be. Don't want to offend any donkeys, but their whole butts aren't worth Seventy-Eight Dollars.
McMark
The cost is in the processing. burro.gif
charliew
I'm not educated on all shocks but my common sense tells me that I don't want the shock to either be the bottoming stop or the extension stop.
914Sixer
Paragon Products has them for $18 each. They are for Koni, but they should work on any shock because the mounting is the same regardless of the manufacturer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.