Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shock options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
Along with getting the turbo 914 motor back together, I'm thinking of different rear shocks. Currently running Koni sports F and R, and with the car lowered I am quite certain I am bottoming the rear ones out.

I did the zip tie on the shaft thing, the front insert has 1/8" or less space before it gets to the bump stop, so good there. The back ones are up against the bumpstop, and I have a sharp "CRACK" sound when hitting just the right bump at just the right speed. Never on course at an autocross, but often on the highway going to and from events. Uneven expansion joints can be murder on the ears.

So thinking of some shorter shock for the back. Whats anyone else running? There seem to be lots more choices for shocks with "eyes" on the top and bottom, than those like the stockers with an eye on the bottom and a shaft/nut on the top. If you've got a 2-eye set up installed, add a few pics, please.
ChrisFoley
I switched to Ohlins LMJ dual adjustable rear shocks this season.
So far so good. At Lime Rock last weekend I made one adjustment to both bump and rebound and had a much better feeling in the corners right away.
I went with 7" stroke. With my ride height and other mods the shock is about at the center of the stroke at rest.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ottox914
Is Chris the only one to run a non "stock" shock?

Those look like amazing pieces of work. Where did you get yours and how much? Anc, can you show how you did the top mount, or is that top secret?
nsr-jamie
Wow! That is cool !!! How about Penske? I have one on my motorcycle that they custom made for me and its incredible and fully rebuildable too....you could try to contact them...you would probably be the first 914 guy with Penske shocks...incredible quality, I like them better than Ohlins...but I only have experience with light weight 2 stroke racing motorcycles..cars are totally different. Cheers
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:43 PM) *

Is Chris the only one to run a non "stock" shock?

Those look like amazing pieces of work. Where did you get yours and how much? Anc, can you show how you did the top mount, or is that top secret?

I had them customized for 914 use by a dealer in New Hampshire. Its an item I'll be adding to my website soon.
Thorshammer (Erik Madsen) recommended them as being better quality and better damping characteristics than Peske, etc.
My shock towers are not stock so I made special mounting brackets, but you would need something similar. I'm not sure I took pictures. Something very close to what's needed is available from Smart Racing Products (and Rebel Racing I think) but fairly expensive.
The lower mount is a custom piece as well, that I made from an oem shock bolt.
Price is in the range of $1400 for the pair, including customization and shock dyno report.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.