Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bleeding Dual Bleeder Calipers, Which Bleeder First?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
74 2.0-Stock w/ Dual Bleeders all around.. The bleeders sit on the inside of each caliper and there is an upper and a lower bleeder.. Whihc one do you bleed first? (and why?)

I have read bleed inners first but they are all on the inside and cannot tell which bleeder bleeds whihc caliper halve.. plus why? one bleeder is "ahead on the fluid feed order internally?"

Bleeding Dual Bleeder Calipers, Which Bleeder First?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jun 24 2010, 07:28 AM) *

74 2.0-Stock w/ Dual Bleeders all around.. The bleeders sit on the inside of each caliper and there is an upper and a lower bleeder.. Whihc one do you bleed first? (and why?)

I have read bleed inners first but they are all on the inside and cannot tell which bleeder bleeds whihc caliper halve.. plus why? one bleeder is "ahead on the fluid feed order internally?"

always the lower ones to get the fluid to the caliper and the highest one finally to remove all of the air.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I had a very funny experience years ago after purchasing some new ferarri 308 calipers for my 3.0 914-6. They are exactly the same as the 916 original rear calipers except for the bleeder nipple being on the bottom. I bled and bled and bled them never being able to achieve good pedal. Finally Skip Page (rest his soul) showed up and looked at the calipers......the bleeder nipples were on the bottom making it impossible to get all of the air out. We had to remove the calipers, flex line still attached, turn them upside down, bleed them and then reinstall them!
underthetire
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 24 2010, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jun 24 2010, 07:28 AM) *

always the lower ones to get the fluid to the caliper and the highest one finally to remove all of the air.

I just used a mighty vac to get the fluid in using the upper only, then bled them the old way. Still had to let it sit overnight and bleed once more to make sure I got all the air out.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 24 2010, 07:34 AM) *

I had a very funny experience years ago after purchasing some new ferarri 308 calipers for my 3.0 914-6. They are exactly the same as the 916 original rear calipers except for the bleeder nipple being on the bottom. I bled and bled and bled them never being able to achieve good pedal. Finally Skip Page (rest his soul) showed up and looked at the calipers......the bleeder nipples were on the bottom making it impossible to get all of the air out. We had to remove the calipers, flex line still attached, turn them upside down, bleed them and then reinstall them!

Momma said there would be days like that!, Thanks Doctor..
camaroz1985
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 24 2010, 10:34 AM) *

Does that mean you could have put them on the opposite sides and been ok?
jt914-6
Yes, George, Skip Page RIP......He taught me a lot about 914's and he wasn't a bad 914 racer going to two SCCA Runoffs.

That's Skip on the left, me-JT in the middle and Jay Jackson a local 914 AX'er on the right. Behind us is my orignal six I had at the time....I might add that the pic is several years ago...

Click to view attachment

I assume the topic is dealing with top/bottom bleeders......but, if dealing with two on top, bleed the inside one first......
rick 918-S
I installed BMW 2002 four piston calipers on the Alien. I was too busy with my job to bleed the brakes myself. I dropped the car off at a local shop with a friend. I got a call stating they can't bleed the calipers because they were installed upside down. screwy.gif I guess I installed them on the wrong sides. I told them to swap the calipers from left to right and right to left and try it again. That's what happens when you are in a hurry. shades.gif
Eric_Shea
We had to remove the calipers, flex line still attached, turn them upside down, bleed them and then reinstall them!

We just machine the second bleeder and be done with it. biggrin.gif

Modified Ferrari 308 (RE: Donor) Caliper.
Click to view attachment

Does that mean you could have put them on the opposite sides and been ok?

No. Handbrake arms would be up vs. down where they belong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.