Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: testing parts, is there a good way and bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
I want to test some things like headlight motors, fresh air box, etc. before I install them. Especially the fresh air system, since it is such a pain to put together. Can I safely test them on a bench with a 12 volt power source? If so, where can I find some pinouts for correct connections?

TheCabinetmaker
Short answer, yes. 12 volt source? Small jumper cables ( zip cord and aligator clips).
tradisrad
When I checked out my roller's wiring i just put the battery in and checked the lights, blower and anything else that could be powered up.

haynes manual should have the wiring diagram for the fresh air blower etc. besure to oil the bearing.

also with the the fresh air box, if you dont have the screen add one. I went as far as adding some black screen (door) mesh over the factory leaf screen. if you have an early car you can get a late gasket and fit the factory screen. and make sure you get a good seal as it's a great place for water to enter. don't forget to check the blower switch plate; they often are filthy.
70_914
It's all about the power probe for this kind of work. Looks like a test light, but has positive and negative leads. Hook it to a battery and there is a rocker switch to add power and ground to the tip, and it is fuse protected (so you don't burn up your car/parts during testing).

Picked mine up pretty cheap because there are more advanced models on the market now.
windforfun
Let the stuff run overnight (if appropriate).
Gigamight
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jun 24 2010, 01:30 PM) *

It's all about the power probe for this kind of work. Looks like a test light, but has positive and negative leads. Hook it to a battery and there is a rocker switch to add power and ground to the tip, and it is fuse protected (so you don't burn up your car/parts during testing).

Picked mine up pretty cheap because there are more advanced models on the market now.

Where would I get such a thing? Sounds perfect. Harbor Freight have anything like that I wonder...

I currently have no body harness installed, because I am swapping it out, otherwise I would just hook up the wires and a battery and go to town.
TheCabinetmaker
Make one.
Gigamight
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 24 2010, 03:24 PM) *

Make one.

.......... lol-2.gif

I think maybe I have misrepresented myself, I'm not that smart. Luckily, I'm ok with that. But it does put me at a disadvantage when it comes to building such a device without a detailed diagram. I am probably looking at buying such a thing instead. Unless someone has one that I can borrow unsure.gif
70_914
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Jun 24 2010, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(70_914 @ Jun 24 2010, 01:30 PM) *

Where would I get such a thing? Sounds perfect. Harbor Freight have anything like that I wonder...

I currently have no body harness installed, because I am swapping it out, otherwise I would just hook up the wires and a battery and go to town.

Google search shows that Amazon sells the power probe. Got mine off the Snappy truck.

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.