Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simple Condenser question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
High Path
midway down the wire on the condenser is a black plastic block, with a spade lug on it, that seats into the distributor body. The points then connect to that spade.

I'm trying to fit a new condenser. So... how the heck do you get the black block (say that three times fast smile.gif ) out of the distributor? I thought it would just pop out, but I've applied as much force to it as I dare, and it hasn't budged. Also it looks like there may be some kind of retaining clip on it, but space is so tight I can't really see for sure what is going on down there.

Thanks
windforfun
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but have you pulled out the distributor?
High Path
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 24 2010, 06:06 PM) *

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but have you pulled out the distributor?

No, I've just removed the distributor cap, to replace it, the rotor, the points, and the condenser. So I can see the lug on the black block inside the distributor, I just can't determine how it seats.
windforfun
When my buddy Tony (at Euro Quattro) & I replaced my condensor, he immediately pulled the distributor. All I can recall is that it was a very simple operation once the distributor was removed. FYI. Sorry I can't be more helpful. There might be a diagram somewhere in George's AA 914 catalog.
windforfun
I think it gets simply pushed in from the outside of the distributor wall.
jt914-6
There should be a bracket with a screw holding the black block on the dist.....
McMark
agree.gif There's a little screw and clamp. Can't do it in the car.
Cap'n Krusty
Unlike Chebbies, condensers last nearly forever on VW and Porsche vehicles. In the nearly 40 years I've been servicing them, I don't think I've sole more than about 25-30 condensers. The only time they need to be changed is if there is excessive metal transfer in the points.

The Cap'n
underthetire
True krusty, but the wire going to the dizzy gets real bad.
avidfanjpl
I agree with The Cap'n. You should have an excessive amount of wire to either patch or resolder and shrinkwrap the wire. Unless someone shortened it. And taking out the dizzy is truly easy, just don't rotate it or touch the motor at any time to move the crank and it will go right back in after you tighten the 13mm nut holding it in.

Steve's Independent Porsche Repair put my old one back in BECAUSE THE BLACK RUBBER PART from Pelican last week DOES NOT FIT PROPERLY INTO THE EARLY 914 2.0L DIZZY.

I still have not called Pelican on that one.

Mine is maybe 20 years old. Still working well according to Skip The Wonder Mechanic.

The wire can be lapsoldered and taped or shrunkwrapped.

I wonder if I can even find the right size black rubber grommet?

Best regards,

John
avidfanjpl
High Path
Hmmm.... thanks for the info. I guess I'll hold off on replacing it until I have a reason to pull the distributor out.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jun 24 2010, 09:36 PM) *

I agree with The Cap'n. You should have an excessive amount of wire to either patch or resolder and shrinkwrap the wire. Unless someone shortened it. And taking out the dizzy is truly easy, just don't rotate it or touch the motor at any time to move the crank and it will go right back in after you tighten the 13mm nut holding it in.

Steve's Independent Porsche Repair put my old one back in BECAUSE THE BLACK RUBBER PART from Pelican last week DOES NOT FIT PROPERLY INTO THE EARLY 914 2.0L DIZZY.

Mine is maybe 20 years old. Still working well according to Skip The Wonder Mechanic.

Best regards,

John
avidfanjpl

There are a number of different condensers for VW/Porsche applications of that era. The plastic (not rubber) insulators vary in shape and configuration. You have to buy the right one for the application. They're readily available. Telling the sales person the part number of the distributor for which you need a condenser helps, as does the part number off the end of the condenser. If you don't have a number on the condenser, it's aftermarket and shouldn't be on your distributor anyway. Bosch condensers made for our cars have a green wire.

The Cap'n
underthetire
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jun 24 2010, 09:36 PM) *

Best regards,

John
avidfanjpl

But why would you half ass a repair like that when the part is less than 10 bucks at any VW shop? And old oily hard wire does not solder very well unless you use a ton of flux, then it will just corrode away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.