Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev limiting rotor, why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
High Path
Replacing my 25+ year old dist cap and rotor. They work, but new ones are cheap, and the old won't last for ever.

Ordered parts from Pelican for my 1974 1.8. When I went to install them I found the old rotor was the rev limiting type, while the new one isn't.

Should I care? I only plan to use the car as a summer time daily driver (assuming I can get it running reliably). I have no plans to race it, or do anything else where I'd be flirting with the red line on the tach.

Is the rev limiting version just insurance for the heavy of foot, or is there some other need for it?
messix
are you still running f/i?

if yes the l-jet has it's own rev limiter.

Drums66
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 24 2010, 03:38 PM) *

confused24.gif
benalishhero
I don't use a rev limiter, but I have floated the valves passing before. Maybe I need one........
ME733
........A rev limiter is just insurance that if you miss an UPSHIFT into neutral , the engine won;t over-rev and spill it,s guts. It,s useless if downshifting into the wrong gear.the engine mechanically will over-rev...It,s especially useful for novice racers, who are financed by their dad,s money,(-IF they had not removed it,) or agressive drivers who MAY need a little help in keeping the engine in the "safe zone"of rpm,s., It,s always a nice part to have in the distributor anyway.
High Path
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 24 2010, 05:38 PM) *

The motor is stock, still running L-jet injection.

What is this other rev limiter?
messix
it's built in to the engine management. and little box by the duel relay from what i'm told.

dr 914 ????
tat2dphreak
insurance for the heavy of foot

agree.gif
I've hit mine a couple of times with the lightened flywheel taking off for a spirited run... not on purpose, and I have it set 1000 below my actual red line... I kept the stock 5850 rev limit, but my cam and build is good to 7k

also, if your transmission is sometimes hard to go into a gear, or pops out... you'll want the extra insurance...
SLITS
Don't rely on a rev-limiting rotor expressly ... they have been know to not work at the designed RPM (or not at all). They are still decent "insurance" though
High Path
I have no objection to a rev limiting rotor (I wasn't aware they existed until recently). I'd just rather run with a new rotor for now, to remove that as a variable in car performance/reliability. Next time I'm ordering parts I'll get a new rev limiting rotor.
Cap'n Krusty

Oh? The Cap'n
ME733
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 24 2010, 09:13 PM) *

Oh? The Cap'n

...............yes cap'n I was thinking the same thing...I never heard of an internal /system/fuel injection system rev limiter.eighter.
underthetire
I have a built in rev limiter, its called hydraulic lifters barf.gif But, they are kinda nice on a DD.
realred914
my rev limiter is my ears, brain, hands and feet. listening to the engine is the way to go. learn to hear it and listen when it screams too much!!!

the tach is nice too, but learn to hear it, as you have to take your eyes from the road to read the tach, even if for a brief moment in time, but you can hear the engine, the sweet scream of the Porsche, so learn to hear your porsche speak to you, listen. Become one with the good Dr Porsche's fine creation of metal and engineering wonder. only when one becomes one with the car can one really take it to the fullest level of enjoyment.

Tune into the inner self of the fourteen, become one with it and the road, drive as if your body is transendentally merged in the great comsic web of being. it is a spiritual thing, you know it is. listen to her purrr listen to her rev, listen, just listen,

now is not that nice?

shine on you crazy diamond, shine on
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 24 2010, 08:18 PM) *

Oh? The Cap'n

...............yes cap'n I was thinking the same thing...I never heard of an internal /system/fuel injection system rev limiter.eighter.

The 75/76 D-Jet had a rev limiter built into the injection, but never on the L-Jet.

IronHillRestorations
For those of us less in tune with our engine's RPM's the rev limiting rotor is cheap insurance against an over rev, or perish the thought a missed shift.

As others have pointed out, they aren't a guarantee though.

I've never heard that any of the stock 914 injection systems have any rev limiting capacity.

I use them whenever possible on pretty much every car I've built.

The old Crane igntion systems have a very cool rev limiting feature that isn't the brick wall of the mechanical rev limiting rotor.
BigDBass
When I got my 914 it had a rev limiting rotor. I didn't even realize it until long after I replaced it with a non-limiting one, when I had to take emergency evasive action thanks to to an SUV and missed a shift, and my ears told me they'd never heard RPMs that high before sad.gif
messix
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 24 2010, 06:13 PM) *

Oh? The Cap'n

the cap'n memory failing????

may i point out post #7 & 8 http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=89679&hl=
messix
and it looks like it's only on '75 & 76 cars.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 25 2010, 12:05 PM) *

The 75/76 D-Jet had a rev limiter built into the injection, but never on the L-Jet.

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 25 2010, 12:33 PM) *

Funny... I think there is a echo in here.... poke.gif
messix
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 25 2010, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 25 2010, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 25 2010, 12:33 PM) *

Funny... I think there is a echo in here.... poke.gif

ah! but you said only d-jet......

part number for 1.8L seems to indicate l-jet also!

VaccaRabite
A rev limiter will not save you from a money shift.
The limiter works by cutting spark when you rev to a certain point.
When you miss that shift and hit second instead of fourth the instant upswing in revs is mechanical. Only way to stop it is by quickly clutching in to remove the connection to the engine from the tranny.

I know on my car I have still have to watch it when I am playing in first or second gear. I come up on redline fast, and I am still making power. No rev limiter, but so far I have not spun it past 6.

Zach
ClayPerrine
I kinda suspect that I did in the motor in my six because I didn't have a rev limiter. I put in the new S pistons and cylinders, S cams and S MFI, but didn't touch a 100K mile bottom end. Then I went out to the AX track. I probably buzzed the motor without realizing it.

Oh well, live and learn.
Drums66
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 25 2010, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 24 2010, 08:18 PM) *

Oh? The Cap'n

I have 1 75' (bullshit)

Oh!! the Drums66.......0nly on 75' 76' cars(electronic) Remember Ya'll bye1.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Huh?
SLITS
D-jet Rev limiter? I must have missed that in the 15 cars I have owned. The only Rev limiters I know of are:

1.) Mechanical constraints of the engine

2.) My foot and attention (not very reliable)

3.) Distributor Rotors

4.) MSD, Crane & ? with adjustable Rev limiters

Speed sensor maybe ... Rev limiter no!

bs.gif
charliew
Maybe you can learn to shift the 914 on the limiter like you can do with a motorcycle. Just run it up to the limiter and apply a little pressure to the shifter and maybe it will jump into the next gear when the limiter blips the ignition. It works great on my sportster.
avidfanjpl
I have seen it stated by Mr. Anders that there is a later model rev limiter built into the ECU, maybe 75 and 76.

And of course, we can all go look at his wonderful pages, but I am pretty sure I read it.

I do have at least one good thing left, my memory.

John
Bleyseng
There is a "Speed Limiter" on some 75/76 Djet engines. I small aluminum box the size of a pack of cigarettes is mounted on the battery tray...
I have a pic somewhere....
Its NOT in the ECU as I have rev'd my 75-76 052 ECU to 6500 lots of times...even with a rotor rev limter you can over rev on shifting and toast the motor, I know!
Mark Henry
Please be aware that these rev limiting rotors are for emergences only and you should never use the rev limiter as a "shift light"

The unloading and loading will cause rod bearing babbeting, which gives the bearing surface a washboard looking type of damage. I've seen this personally in a drag bug with only one weekend of racing.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.