Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what's the scoop on a full flow oil system on the type IV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
realred914
what is the opinion on the full flow modification to a type IV motor???

my motor is getting rebuilt and I'd like to figure if that is something I should consider. I will be adding an extra oil cooler (it is hot here, and my 914 always tend to run hot in summer) I think I would like to keep the stock oil cooler set up, just add an extra cooler and maybe go the full flow route.

can the stock coller handle typical cold start full flow oil pressures ok? I suppose I will need a high pressure oil filter

I assume I can run the remote cooler and remote filter via an adaptor plate off the stock oil filter location (and still keep the stock cooler)

any suggestions or ideas?

favorite brands of remote cooles and adaptors.
how would you all run a thermostat for the oil for teh remote cooler.

next question is if I did not run a full flow and only a remote cooler via a sandwich adaptor, would a thermostat be needed? would not the stock oil pressur erelief valve be enough to limit flow to the remote cooler when the oil is cold and thick?

just thinking a thermostat might be redundant if I dont run a full flow system. Or do you guys usually run a thermostat regardless on any remotre oil cooler?

(I will have a thermostat activated electric fan on the remote cooler)

thanks in advance for any inputs.

tada!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif chowtime.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smilie_pokal.gif smash.gif aktion035.gif welder.gif
Mark Henry
Balls deep...type 1 modified for type 4 and pluged 26 or 30mm Shadek oil pump, steel full flow (FF) pump cover, modified motor mount to clear the FF fitting, tap for FF, cover plate to plug the stock filter location, $100+ worth (just to get to the filter and back) Parker pushloc fittings and hose .

Don't use the el chepo thermostat, get a Mocal. Pump to the oil filter adapter (filter) first, then to the engine bay mounted thermostat.

Pro: the type one pump will push way more volume.

Con: front mounted cooler will be a heck of a lot of twists and turns for a wet sump system. If going this route buy the 30mm pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.