Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working on the front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
Hi,
Just getting started on fixing up my recently aquired 1975-914 and the way it swooshed and swayed I suspected that front shock replacement was in order. In the process of taking the parts apart to get to the shocks I have found the brakes in bad shape ( not only from rust but my Easy-Out which broke off in the bleader valve ---oups damn ). The brake lines are bad also so now I am comited to most all the break parts. My question for the group is, has anyone bought the BMW upgrade from "TheAndante" ? And if so, is it really as simple and trouble free as he states in his post ? I presently have Reveria wheels but I do not like the fact that I can not get bigger tires on them and I will eventually replace them with something else, the question then becomes, will the BMW brakes interfear with the wheel clerance ? One final question is do I need to upgrade tothe 19 mm master cylinder ? huh.gif
dralf
wub.gif

Oups...first time to post something, and I now see that I put this post in the wrong place...did not mean to post it under pparts and products, please forgive me or if the web master has the power put this in the correct place...sorry again, but I would like responses to my questions.

PS this web site and you guys are a source of insperation for me to work on this 914 and spend money like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks
lmcchesney
Welcome to the board.
I think you will find the site a great source of guidance and resources.
The trend of late(several years) has been to upgrade to the following:
Stainless steel brake lines. Old deteroiated rubber lines a risk and less firm. Several sources arround. Obtain lines which are DOT approved.
BMW 320i front calipers. Ate usually the best. New about $40-50 each at the F.... local auto parts store (FLAPS). I have not see feed back on Andante, but probably someone on the site will provide the data. Another option is Volvo 240 calipers. Four piston and about twice surface area.
Metal break pads. High boiling temp fluid, red line, etc.
Sometimes the proportioning valve needs adjusted/replaced.
Master cylinder can be 17mm(stock) 19mm (911) or 23mm (Mercedes). Everyone will have their opinion. Check the following web sites to help guide you:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...brake_calc2.htm
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...MW_calipers.htm
Just remember, these are what stop your car before you hit the wall.
Also check here for a recent discussion. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=156804
Additionally, you might want to contact Rob via the following link.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=157237
He is a 914 owner in Cincinnati and may be a local resource. Otherwise, I am in Toledo and would be glad to help as well.
L. McChesney
Toledo
nebreitling
hi, welcome to the board! people here have strong opinions about the BMW calipers. i don't know enough either way, but people who have forgotten more than i'll ever know hate them -- and that's enough to scare me away.

so, i would say that unless you really know what you're doing, stick with the stock brakes. 17 or 19mm MC -- your call. SS lines if you want to get fancy smancy. this will be the best package "out the door" -- i.e. you won't have to keep messing with f/r bias. i don't know where the myth that stock 914 brakes are insufficient began...
dralf
wavey.gif
Thank you fellows for the warm welcome and some insight regarding the pros and cons of changing to BMW brakes. I think at this point I will stay with what I got, that saves me some money and perhaps some agrivation. I saw front calipers available at AutoZone and I may go that route, unless once again you folks have other experance. I will need new brake lines etc and just broke anothe Easy Out trying to remove a broken bolt on the brake dust shield. I must be getting stronger !

I did have one more question since I have the computer running and that is the bushings on the A frame. I am willing to bet my lunch money that they have not been touched since 1975. They seem tight so should I replace them anyway ? I read somewhere that the rear bushing flow...I recall fire to remove them but is there a trick to install them ?

Well it is my bed time now, perhaps to dream.

Thanks
Stitch110
I'm new to the Club and this is my first post so bear with me, I've heard good things about the BMW calipers and no complaints from those that have them. Personally, I am still stock, but I did update to the stainless brakelines and man what a difference. Not nearly as spongy as the rubbers. I live in San Luis Obispo County in CA and go to GPR (German Parts and Restoration, www.gprparts.com) for about 90% of my stuff. If you can't find it odds are they have it or can get it for you. They also sell a lot of stuff that some of the manufacturers don't make. (progressive springs and such) They also have a brake kit that they sell, not BMW or Mercedes, not sure what they are but they definately work. I have a '71 and just bought a '72/'73 to restore. Fun and games. Best of luck to you.

Dave
Fellow 914 nut
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.