Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Wt. Oil for Freezing Temps or Below?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
74 2.0 (stock)

Question is for what Oil Weight/Viscosity to Use in Freezing Climates? I am a So. Cal. native whom wheres shorts 11 months a year and is moving to Montana, got pants but would like to know what Wt. Oil to use in Freezing and Below temps.. Driving Daily rain.snow.sleet.ice
underthetire
30 below? or just freezing to about 20? Hope you got good heat exchangers! And a bellows with working flaps.
detoxcowboy
Thanks Undertire for clearing up my question a bit..

for an realistic theory lets say 5 degrees or approx. 30 below to freezing at 32 degrees.. yes have new entire exhaust and heater system including SS exchangers ..everything but a new blower motor which I could not find and so I just restored it.. Yes and brand new Bellows with restored powder coated flaps) plus...( I wear thermals and a jacket with a beanie, and can get drunk when needed)
VaccaRabite
Wow... Why don't you get a snow beater? An old suby or audi? Something that won't rust as quick, will handle the snow better, and give you a little more protection if you loose it on some black ice?

Zach
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 25 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Wow... Why don't you get a snow beater? An old suby or audi? Something that won't rust as quick, will handle the snow better, and give you a little more protection if you loose it on some black ice?

Zach

Zach thanks for the input and yes a beater (my first 914 was the beater) would be ideal for some occasions but I am bringing the 914 with me regardless and will drive it when I can, buying another car ahead of time may not be in the reality at first and a garage will not be waiting for me when I get there, and the move as with all the moves I have made in my life, 3 states 7 counties, have not been permenant, the fact I have a 914 can't change what I need or want to do, currently it is my only car and it comes with me... I drive it no matter unless it is obviously unsafe, I am more fearfull of running into a deer or buffalo than rust..

I probably will get a beater truck if things work out and I decided to stay, caught the tail end of winter in Montana last time but flew there, but the car still will have oil in it and still will be parked most likely outside ..,

irregardless of condition and circumstances.. what oil wt. oil would you use..

I have lived in colorado when every morning was 5 a.m. and the thermoter was frozen at 5 degress, thoug it was colder.. I did not have a vw then and can't remeber what wt. oil I was using at the time..

they do not salt the roads where I am going, also I bought the car to drive it, not to look at it, been through my entire car and I think it can handle 1 or 2 winters.. snows in Germany..

I have never seen more Subaru's on the road than where I am going, also F.Y.I. when I lived near Aspen Co. the Police cars were Subaru's (in Aspen at least)
EdwardBlume
Santa Barbara to Montana? Ouch... confused24.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 25 2010, 01:59 PM) *

Santa Barbara to Montana? Ouch... confused24.gif

California economy sucks!!

I can always jump back to Santa Barbara I have left it 5 times, Montana is beautiful too!! Living in different scenarios is Bitchen, I have lived in Santa Cruz, Port Townsend Wa., Glenwood Springs Colorado, Santa Barbara, Most of Orange County Ca.. ( huntington beach, costa mesa , dana point, newport beach, el; modena, tustin orange and fullerton)

\ drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif
/ blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

I just wanted to know what oil wt./viscosity to use in Snow, I know someone must live in snow areas that are members on this site..

I would really love the advice of the Cap'n... even though he lives near me w/ no snow, he is smart
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jun 25 2010, 11:23 AM) *

74 2.0 (stock)

Question is for what Oil Weight/Viscosity to Use in Freezing Climates? I am a So. Cal. native whom wheres shorts 11 months a year and is moving to Montana, got pants but would like to know what Wt. Oil to use in Freezing and Below temps.. Driving Daily rain.snow.sleet.ice

My 73 2L'S Owners Manual recco'd 5-30W.
(edit add: IIRC that's what Dr.914 reccos for storage, & what's been in mine as it sat. I usually only needed 10-30 or 10-40 in the snow driving I did below, but MT gets colder.)

Joe, did you end up selling your 73 2.0 Marathon Blue one, or is it this 74 2L one I'm thinking of?? confused24.gif

I'd like to see the end result of all your work on this 914 if you have time before you leave for MT, so call my cell (PM if you lost it) & either swing by my place 1st house past OHS tennis courts or we can meet at Watsons or something & I'll buy you eats! beerchug.gif

You may find times you wished you had 2 or 3x thermals & coats up there! biggrin.gif

BTW - 914's do well in the snow/ice - mine always did between SoCal Mtns., Mamouth & Tahoe, UT & OR/WA, etc. in snow back in the 70's & 80's when it was my DD/only car!

... The caution now is that they're 35-40 years old, parts are harder to find & way more expensive, so you just have to use a little judgment & not push them too hard in the winter & try to avoid unpaved roads - despite the old ads: "The Baja Porsche"!! biggrin.gif

Lest we forget!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

shades.gif
BigDBass
Are you gonna be a dental floss tycoon?!?
dlo914
W=Winter not Weight

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroi...sity/index.html
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Jun 25 2010, 02:46 PM) *

agree.gif - Thanx for the "Lo down"! biggrin.gif

.... I don't recall if it was printed as 5W-30 or 5-30W in the book, but you get the drift reading the link dlo posted. shades.gif

BTW - you may want to run 80 wt gear oil in the transaxle up there in the winter - instead of 90 - esp. if it's like slogging through sand to shift during the cold months! biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
If temps and up and down all the time above/below freezing, like in the spring and fall 10W30. Freezing all the time 5W30 or 0w30 synthetic.

And for the chassis 20W50 sprayed all over the bottom being careful not to get the brakes. Remove door panels and every nut and bolt you can spray oil into. Spray the hell hole and every nook and cranny...righ tup the fender wells. Use new engine oil with a Schultz gun, not used or tranny oil, some peeps mix in STP or lucas. Redo every year.
You can even hose the trunk bottoms s a bit and line them with plastic.
Buy a good car mat.

Hell of a mess, but you may have a salvageable car when you come to your senses. smile.gif
Mark Henry
Oh-OH! I forgot...you also need set of zircon encrusted tweezers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJN_uWaVRfo
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 25 2010, 03:29 PM) *

Oh-OH! I forgot...you also need set of zircon encrusted tweezers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJN_uWaVRfo

... and don't lick any flagpoles nor the car, even if it looks drooley.gif
lol-2.gif

PS - If I hadn't been a Cheech & Chong fan, I might find Mark's avatar disturbing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.